The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 20th December 2017
SEED78
am sure either way it will be a beauty.

I was thinking about getting a mic built with Chris and getting him to use one of these - made in Kent UK, also stocked by RMS in USA now too.
VF14T
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
The Telefunken Copperhead is a terrific vocal mic. I've only used on my voice, male, pop but it always delivers a big, professional sound. I prefer the ones with the Telefunken tube but the GE tube is close. It won our shootout of mics in the $1K range.

May be one of the few GSlutz that doesn't own a 3U mic at the moment but I've never read a bad review of the GZ67 and I mean to get around to it.
Let me know what you think (especially against the Copperhead), I really like the GZ67FET and other 3U mic's but I've still not put my M149 or any other of my higher end Neumann's up for sale yet..

I'm not saying they're incapable of professional results, not even saying they don't sound awesome.. I just like some Neumann's more ..!
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
For vox the ISK 2B is quickly becoming one of my top mic's
The natural tube compression of the iSK 2B is kind of addictive. Its so smooth and kind of thick. I find I like it alot on Ac guitar as well.
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Yes. That was the one I was kind of intending to buy. A lovely mic. A little too pristine for my brash voice. Liked it on acoustic guitar.
Hey Ragan, Your CM100 and Warbler 127 clips are amazing. I did not realize how much low end the omni modes add to an overhead pair! How is the 127 vs warbler MKI on OH ? I would also be curious as to using the warbler 127 on an Ampeg 8x10 to capture that overdriven grind.
Old 22nd December 2017
I have 127 c flats and MKIDs and the 127s replaced my MKIs for overheads immediately. Sound seemed more focused and punchier. I also found it a lot easier to dial in the position with them, which is totally subjective and based only on feel..but it is what it is.

MKIDs in voice three have become my new complement to 57s on cabs since then.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Hey Ragan, Your CM100 and Warbler 127 clips are amazing. I did not realize how much low end the omni modes add to an overhead pair! How is the 127 vs warbler MKI on OH ? I would also be curious as to using the warbler 127 on an Ampeg 8x10 to capture that overdriven grind.

Hey Ariel. Yeah, I think those drums being in a corner may be responsible for some of that low end bloom, though it’s a heavily treated corner.

As far as 127 vs MKID on OH, I haven’t compared them specifically but I’d say it’s kind of the usual LDC vs SDC situation. The 127s are tighter sounding. More articulation, snappier transients. The MKIDs are a little smoother sounding. More “whole kit” kind of picture? Or something like that?
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for info Ragan and dogears !
Old 28th December 2017
Here for the gear
Bought the Warbler MKIV, looking forward to testing it and I hope it lives up to the hype

Last edited by majnu007; 31st December 2017 at 02:03 AM..
Old 29th December 2017
Gear Head

I own a pair of Line Audio CM3s, and now I feel like getting a new pair of a bit more colorful (and warm/analogue/vintage) SDCs for mostly upright piano and strings (both solo and groups) recordings. Cardioid, not omni.

Has anyone tried the Warbler 127 C-flats for these applications?
I love ribbons on violins, so a smooth top end is what I’m after.
It’d be interesting to know how the 127s compare to Oktava mk012, Aston Starlight, Lauten LA120 or others in somewhat the same price region.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Think I'll pick up a pair of the SCD mics with the omni capsules. But I would like to get another set of LDC's I have the MKI's, I would like something a bit more brighter. Any suggestions?
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Head

MkIV's are brighter, airy, in a really good way. I have MkI and IV, and IV is definitely more airy on vocals, but not harsh nor sibilant. I will try to send you clips on monday for you to compare. When MkIV is in V3, you get similar high end on MkI in V1, so you could have a nice range of options.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matias186 View Post
MkIV's are brighter, airy, in a really good way. I have MkI and IV, and IV is definitely more airy on vocals, but not harsh nor sibilant. I will try to send you clips on monday for you to compare. When MkIV is in V3, you get similar high end on MkI in V1, so you could have a nice range of options.
Excellent thanks ! I would mainly be using as OH's or Rooms. I like the sound of the MKI's but would like to have just a touch more top end at least for tracking Hard rock and metal.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

I liked the MKIV a lot too.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

That’s interesting, I didn’t realize the mk1 was so different in the top end. I’ve been using a mkiv on vocals and I love it in v1 but like it less and less moving to v2 and v3. Perhaps it’s just my voice. I had been thinking about getting a pair of mk1D’s for guitar cab and general purpose but wondering if I might just add another mk4 instead. I’d be stuck in cardioid though.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Head

MkI and 57 (or M201) are giving me great results on guitar cab, also reeeally beatiful sound on Kick out. On vocals, had better takes with MkIV, but it could be just for the kind of voices I've recorded in last months.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Nut
MKVI is also brighter, i'm using it for vocal in brightest position and when you switch it to darkest than is great for guitar amp or outside of kick. (Almost same as MKI in brightest position)
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Worth noting that the rest of the spectrum will be markedly different between the MKI and MKIV, with the MKI being a lot more mid forward.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Worth noting that the rest of the spectrum will be markedly different between the MKI and MKIV, with the MKI being a lot more mid forward.
Ragan when you put the MKIV in the darkest position is the MKI still much more mid fwd?
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Ragan when you put the MKIV in the darkest position is the MKI still much more mid fwd?
Yes. The voice positions just successively attenuate the highs. They’re not really changing the rest of the spectrum.

No matter the position, the MKIV is still and edge terminated, less mid forward mic than the MKI’s center terminated Neumann-esque sound.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. The voice positions just successively attenuate the highs. They’re not really changing the rest of the spectrum.

No matter the position, the MKIV is still and edge terminated, less mid forward mic than the MKI’s center terminated Neumann-esque sound.
Just at the 3U site and the multi pattern MKI has more top end with the omni mode. That may be an option as well.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

Ariel, didn't have a chance to send a shootout for you, but as you are looking for OH and rooms, I think this compilation may be helpful. From Ragan's clips, you can hear the difference between MkI and MkIV. You could hear what Ragan says about mids and top end on each of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
I thought I'd help out Ragan and post his sound-files for him...

Warbler IV (vs I) Tele Dirty

Warbler I (vs IV) Tele Dirty

Warbler IV (vs I) Tele Clean

Warbler I (vs IV) Tele Clean

Warbler IV (vs I) Vocal

Warbler I (vs IV) Vocal

Warbler IV (vs CM1) Acoustic

CM1 (vs Warbler IV) Acoustic

Warbler IV (vs I) Mono OH

Warbler I (vs IV) Mono OH

Warbler IV (vs I) Acoustic

Warbler I (vs IV) Acoustic

Warbler Mk V OH Test
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Excellent thanks ill take a listen again
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Has anyone tried the Beesneez Oliver Fet? I’m curious how it compares to these sounds. I like the warbler mkID a lot. I’d also like to hear clips of the warbler mkII and gz47 fet if anyone has those mics.

I really need a vocal mic. Not sure what would be best, but I’m drawn to the ones that have less sibliance. It’d be great to use it as an outside of kick mic too

Last edited by Ox Han; 22nd January 2018 at 05:11 PM..
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
Alright folks here are the results:

Mic 1 = GZ47fet V
Mic 2 = Pearlman TM-1
Totally shocked. I need GZ47fet V now
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

It's taken me a while to realize this, but I prefer edge terminated for my own voice, which is in the Rod Stewart grit vein. The Neumann style center terminated capsule brings out some upper mids that doesn't work for my voice, but I LOVE what it does for my acoustic guitars! With the Lawson L251/L47 combo set you can switch back and forth the capsules on the same body (Tube or FET) so you can really compare the difference. And in the spirit of the original post, one of these combo sets on the used market is a HELL OF A DEAL for a mult-pattern LDC and well worth saving for!
Old 23rd January 2018
SEED78
Any more whispers from 3U tube mic owners? Love my GZ fet but have to put it through a tube preamp to get it near the same league as my good tube mics.
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I've been somewhat quiet since I took receipt of the GZ800 tube mic- mainly because I don't have any samples to show, as yet.

Guosheng described it as voiced similarly to the Sony c800g, but with a slightly warmer and more "vintage taste".

I have to say that it's one of the nicer sounding mics I own (and I have some decent stuff- u47 clone with D7 cap, MK-13, etc.). It has a detail and top end that seem to bring the vocals to the front, requiring little EQ. No excessive sibilance or sharp highs, though. For a pop record, I think this would be the ticket.

It's what I used for my latest single (currently at the mastering house), which has a bit of a throwback vibe. Paired with the LA2A, the mic had some serious depth and lungs. It nails the shimmery "80s pop studio" vibe, IMO.

I haven't logged enough engineer hours to say any of this with absolute authority, but as an artist- I can say that it's one of my best tools, to date.

Here's an action pic, pre-setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-mic-setup-gc800-tube.jpg  

Last edited by Malkit; 25th January 2018 at 12:41 AM..
Old 24th January 2018
SEED78
Def let use know once you can share some audio!!
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Nut

Gz800! Where do I get one?
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Question for 3U users re: similarities to Neumann models

Hi folks. Have a Warbler VI and GZ47fet btw… A studio friend was recently talking about wanting a TLM170. Not cheap. Would be looking at it mostly for cardioid only voice work. I suggested maybe he look into one of the 3U Audio mics but off-hand, I don't know of any that would resemble this particular flavor of Neumann sound. Anybody here able to suggest something they might consider if looking for a similar sounding alternative to that ? Veering off topic a bit I have seen comparisons of the 193 to 170 suggesting similarity in cardioid, but i think they're not the same animal…

THanks for any advice!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search