The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
No, Guosheng splits the year between Australia and China but his factory is in China.
Didn't he have a pic up of the QC room, could have sworn it said in Australia. All of the first round of GZ's were shipping from Australia, weren't they?
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany View Post
Capsule is made in Australia, btw.
Ok, thanks for the info. Still would like to know more if it's possible before endorsing the product as industrial grade.
Old 19th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
The 103 is the best value going for truly professional, i.e. near guaranteed lifetime of use, at anything approaching affordable in my humble opinion. If you have a large collection of outboard preamps I can see why you might not think much of it as it really benifits from the proper low cut attenuation for close micing voice which no pre I'm aware of can provide the correct curve.
Guoshengs 300$ wabrlers sound better than a tlm103 and his gz series mic blow it outta the water. Do your research and don't dig yourself any deeper until you do so.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Yeah, your very first post and thread on this forum was about the TLM103.
Do you sell 'em?
My employer is a dealer but I'm not selling here or pushing any product for personal gain.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Guoshengs 300$ wabrlers sound better than a tlm103 and his gz series mic blow it outta the water. Do your research and don't dig yourself any deeper until you do so.
You make it sound like ones opinion on a mic is a life or death issue! We're just talking gear and I've been burned many times by stuff that sounded great but fell apart far too quickly for the money spent to have been worth it.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 103 is the best value going for truly professional, i.e. near guaranteed lifetime of use, at anything approaching affordable in my humble opinion. If you have a large collection of outboard preamps I can see why you might not think much of it as it really benifits from the proper low cut attenuation for close micing voice which no pre I'm aware of can provide the correct curve.

I can name several mics in the same price range that will mop the floor with the tlm103. I've used it enough to know its strengths...and weaknesses. It's a clean quiet mic, very good on VO provided you have a pre that can tame its sibilance but it is in no way a versatile mic. And I really truly hope your kidding about the lo cut/preamp comment? I really hope so...because any stock digital EQ can take care of this post processing without breaking a sweat.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, I missed this post, so I see they are indeed Chinese mics. It's hard to know how consistent the raw materials are and we can only trust the manufacturers claims as passing off inferior metals and plastics is as easy as bribing the right person there. The designer seems obviously sincere though.

No offense but I'll stick with my tlm as my concern is a mic that will work for my whole life not stocking a studio locker.
Dave is that you?
Old 19th March 2017
some guys just can't shut up. I am sure the TLM103 is a fine mic. But if you have not used a 3U, you have no argument on its quality or construction. I have used many different mics and modded lots of them. 3U mics are as tough as the other ones, including your microphone made in space.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I can name several mics in the same price range that will mop the floor with the tlm103. I've used it enough to know its strengths...and weaknesses. It's a clean quiet mic, very good on VO provided you have a pre that can tame its sibilance but it is in no way a versatile mic. And I really truly hope your kidding about the lo cut/preamp comment? I really hope so...because any stock digital EQ can take care of this post processing without breaking a sweat.
My first post here was a thread about setting up a good high pass for the 103 which I've found transforms the mic's sound in a surprising way but it really only works, or at least works best, if you apply it before preamp saturation, meaning I've gotten the best results processing the mic purely digitally without any fancy outboard gear.

If you'd like to debate that, this thread is only a few days old and still on the first page of this boards listings.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You make it sound like ones opinion on a mic is a life or death issue! We're just talking gear and I've been burned many times by stuff that sounded great but fell apart far too quickly for the money spent to have been worth it.

What are you referring too exactly? I've never had a mic crap out on me in 15+ yrs of use and btw I probably own over 50 mics like many other posters in this thread. Was the mic you're referring to dropped or mistreated/miskept/tube expired/exposed to moisture etc?
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info. Still would like to know more if it's possible before endorsing the product as industrial grade.
What does that even mean? You know everything is made in China, right? I have opened my MKID's and I can tell you that it is built every bit as well as any high end fet mic.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What are you referring too exactly? I've never had a mic crap out on me in 15+ yrs of use and btw I probably own over 50 mics like many other posters in this thread. Was the mic you're referring to dropped or mistreated/miskept/tube expired/exposed to moisture etc?
It was a general comment covering all gear not just mics. Working sales for ten years I've had enough frustrated and upset customers to decide that buying from a fully vetted company is worth the money if are going to heavily rely on the product.

I've had customers go through 5 or 6 mics in just a few years looking for some elusive color that would work for them when they could've just gotten a tlm and saved a few hundred bucks and been done with it from the start.

I've also seen plenty of Chinese mics simply fail on customers with no warning.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My first post here was a thread about setting up a good high pass for the 103 which I've found transforms the mics sound in a surprising way but it really only works, or at least works best, if you apply it before preamp saturation, meaning I've gotten the best results processing the mic purely digitally without any fancy outboard gear.

If you'd like to debate that, this thread is only a few days old and still on the first page of this boards listings.

Do post a before and after comparison using the hpf on your pre and any stock plugin in any DAW post recording. Match the curves the best you can. I'm afraid you are confusing some basic engineering concepts in your statement.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany View Post
What does that even mean? You know everything is made in China, right? I have opened my MKID's and I can tell you that it is built every bit as well as any high end fet mic.
China does some things very well but when it comes to mic capsules I'm very gun shy.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
You're not giving opinions, you are making slandering insinuations...everything from horrible QC to having others makeing the capsules 3u audio uses, amongst other things. You either one of the dumbest people I've seen on this forum or a salesman for another company equally as dumb. Thanks for the humor
If the mics work out for you that's great.

If I was here to sell anything it'd be in my bio so you could contact me.

My comments are from ten+ years selling audio gear to people whose hopes and dreams depend on them. In my experience it's very hard to find the trust for something as fragile as a ldc out of China. I've seen countless numbers simply fail one day.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My first post here was a thread about setting up a good high pass for the 103 which I've found transforms the mic's sound in a surprising way but it really only works, or at least works best, if you apply it before preamp saturation, meaning I've gotten the best results processing the mic purely digitally without any fancy outboard gear.

I'm rereading and rereading this post and there is so much contradiction in it I can't make any sense of this post. First of all what does saturation have to do with a hpf? How could it possibly make a difference doing the cut pre or post processing if the slope of the cut is the same? Whatever you cut is no longer there! Why are you talking about fancy outboard for a low cut/hpf? And why are you saying you get the best results "purely digital" if you previously said the best results are using the preamp lo cut? Totally confused here...
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do post a before and after comparison using the hpf on your pre and any stock plugin in any DAW post recording. Match the curves the best you can. I'm afraid you are confusing some basic engineering concepts in your statement.
The hpf on pres won't do what the 103 needs which is a high pass curve like what's found on the U87. It must be done digitally, and sounds better using a clean pre in my opinion then going into a preamp emulator if you desire that color.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My views aren't exactly just guessing as I work sales. When you want to sell something you focus on its strongest aspect and wash over the weakest ones. A mic company which makes a larger mention of supporting components but barely even addresses the capsule, aside from a few pictures in its marketing, is suspect from my experience selling stuff.
They are guessing when you're talking about a product that you've never heard, don't have any personal experience with, and don't even bother to read the research and countless (well, about 4500) other user experiences which are literally right in front of you.

Please let us know what company you work for, because if you are an example of the salespeople there I would like to avoid that company at all costs.

-Mike
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

"So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know... "

-Walter

Just having a little fun.. But seriously this wouldn't be the same thread if people weren't wandering in and trying to pontificate about the subject without fully looking into it. Par for the course.

If you have an issue with your mic, you can email the owner/designer directly. You won't get that with a Neumann.

Also, just to emphasize, he is NOT good at marketing. He's an engineer. If Dennis (kidvybes) hadn't discovered these mics and started evangelizing, it's more than likely that none of us would have ever heard of them.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm just skeptical is all. Crumbling plastics and oxidizing metals will shorten the lifespan of the capsule considerably.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

My low end theory is just as much about lifespan as how good it sounds fresh off the line.

If you run a studio one failing mic is a bummer but if you're an artist with only three mics it's a disaster.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Fair enough. I will point out that Guosheng has been known to run out of stock if the materials he likes to use aren't available.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Fair enough. I will point out that Guosheng has been known to run out of stock if the materials he likes to use aren't available.
Well, that's encouraging but it also shows how unreliable raw materials can be in China.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt so you can intelligently explain your position but I am totally convinced after the "preamp emulator" and "clean pre" comments that you have no idea what you are talking about.
You haven't really given me the benefit of the doubt but I haven't given these mics that either so I guess that's all fair.

As for clean pre I mean something like a grace or apogee's or simular interfaces pre. As for preamp emulator I'm referring to plugins like what UA offers simulating neve or Manley preamps or the few waves plugins that offer modeling of the preamp saturation as examples.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Unless we have a different definition, there are few if any raw materials in microphones.

Also, you'd be surprised how much Chinese stuff there is in well known "western" brands. In German brands even.

And 3U Audio uses discrete electronics, not ICs like the TLM103 has.

Quote:
Well, that's encouraging but it also shows how unreliable raw materials can be in China.
In reply to Guosheng running out of stock of electronic parts ...
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You haven't really given me the benefit of the doubt but I haven't given these mics that either so I guess that's all fair.

As for clean pre I mean something like a grace or apogee's or simular interfaces pre. As for preamp emulator I'm referring to plugins like what UA offers simulating neve or Manley preamps or the few waves plugins that offer modeling of the preamp saturation as examples.

None of that has anything whatsoever to do with a hpf/lo cut.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If the mics work out for you that's great.

If I was here to sell anything it'd be in my bio so you could contact me.

My comments are from ten+ years selling audio gear to people whose hopes and dreams depend on them. In my experience it's very hard to find the trust for something as fragile as a ldc out of China. I've seen countless numbers simply fail one day.
Do you think American or European factories are some kind of Shangrala of manufacturing where highly educated citizens are twisting their mustaches and adjusting their monacles to make the mic/product of your dreams that will last 30 years? Most of them are filled with undocumented migrants from Mexico/central/south America or Africans from third world countries. Are you just racist against Chinese people and think they are incapable of competing with that kind of labor?
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Perhaps it's time to stop feeding?
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Unless we have a different definition, there are few if any raw materials in microphones.

Also, you'd be surprised how much Chinese stuff there is in well known "western" brands. In German brands even.

And 3U Audio uses discrete electronics, not ICs like the TLM103 has.
It's my oppion that when talking low end theory of mics the capsule is the most important component. Now, I've no reason to doubt that the mics sound good my question is will they sound just as good in 5, 10, or even 20 years of regular use.

I'm only posting in low end theory because my interest here is from the perspective of an aspiring artist not a professional engineer. It seems most people talking these mics up here are making money on them but I'm coming from the position of someone who wants a few quality pieces I can absolutely rely on.

There are plenty of "name brand" products I wouldn't invest in either for the same reservations I've expressed here.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to stop feeding?

Agreed. Anyway, "ignorance is bliss".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search