The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

What was the exact language used to describe the capsule construction in your discussions with 3U?

I find audio shoot outs to be only partially helpful because when I'm actually in front of the mic you find out how far it reaches into a room and how different gain settings and proximity come into play.

A good capsule will have far better off axis frequency capture and be usable at many different distances vs a lower quality one. I'm sure you can get great results with 3U but I've gotten great results with lots of stuff, it's just always more relaxed and natural in front of a good capsule.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Wow!? This thread took a really bizarre turn. I don't even know what to say to this guy...who knows absolutely nothing about these mics, the capsules or the capsule maker and his long standing pedigree. Dude has confessed to not ever using one personally. Insane and borderline slanderous if you ask me.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Wow!? This thread took a really bizarre turn. I don't even know what to say to this guy...who knows absolutely nothing about these mics, the capsules or the capsule maker and his long standing pedigree. Dude has confessed to not ever using one personally. Insane and borderline slanderous if you ask me.
Expressing doubt isn't slander.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
Expressing doubt isn't slander.
Why are u insinuating he doesn't make his own capsules? Why are u insinuating he has QC issues? Eh?

3u is one of the straightest shooters out there. Any issue with his mics no matter how small can be remedied with a direct email...and usually within days as evidenced by this thread. I think you should move along, with all due respect.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why are u insinuating he doesn't make his own capsules? Why are u insinuating he has QC issues? Eh?
Why doesn't his page make it clear he makes his own capsule? My comments on qc were about how the industry works now not 3U specifically.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why doesn't his page make it clear he makes his own capsule? My comments on qc were about how the industry works now not 3U specifically.

How very "professional" of you being you're totally ignorant about these mics in every way...despite the fact that Ragan tried to educate you about how 3u marketing works.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What was the exact language used to describe the capsule construction in your discussions with 3U?

I find audio shoot outs to be only partially helpful because when I'm actually in front of the mic you find out how far it reaches into a room and how different gain settings and proximity come into play.

A good capsule will have far better off axis frequency capture and be usable at many different distances vs a lower quality one. I'm sure you can get great results with 3U but I've gotten great results with lots of stuff, it's just always more relaxed and natural in front of a good capsule.
I'm not gonna dig through 2 or 3 years of emails for you.

He designs and makes these capsules. His capsules are also in many other mics. I'm not free to say which but you can suss a lot of it out if you wanted to do some digging on your own.

Move on, I say. I don't think these mics are for you.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

@ Unicornsfyeah

By the way...Ever heard of a non disclosure agreement? That's what most OEM's do when they build stuff for other manufacturers. You are really showing how much you know about this industry with your misguided and blind responses.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My comments on qc were about how the industry works now not 3U specifically.
Again, the thing is that 3U Audio is different from how the industry typically works. Hence the success and this here mammoth thread.
As a retailer you are part of the industry. And if you sell microphones, too, then 3U Audio may mean "trouble", because Guosheng offers his mics much cheaper than a retailer ever could.

Guosheng Zhuang has capsule making as his core business. On the side, he started building his own line of microphones around the capsules. Here's the original Gearslutz thread:
3U Audio is designing a switchable sound style condenser microphone, any suggestion?
Our well respected forum member kidvybes picked up on this and largely by his doing, 3U Audio grew big faster than Guosheng anticipated. If you want to see the early mic plant, check out post #1200 at the bottom of page 40.
Unfortunately kidvybes passed away one year ago yesterday.

Quote:
Why doesn't his page make it clear he makes his own capsule?
For starters, he's more modest than many of us westerners.
More importantly, capsule making being his core business means he makes the things for other brands. This calls for some um ... discretion. That's all I'll say about it.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I've signed a few nda myself when I gave outside sales a try selling in bulk to manufactures other manufacturers products.

Again, if 3U is making thier own capsules it would behoove them to make that clear. As it stands, it is far more likely they have an nda themselves for parts sourced for their capsules if not the whole assembly from where I sit. If they've plainly said in private otherwise I'd think the language would be pretty easy to remember.

Again, I'm just skeptical, and my perspective here is that of a self producing artist not an engineer or my position in sales.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've signed a few nda myself when I gave outside sales a try selling in bulk to manufactures other manufacturers products.

Again, if 3U is making thier own capsules it would behoove them to make that clear. As it stands, it is far more likely they have an nda themselves for parts sourced for their capsules if not the whole assembly from where I sit. If they've plainly said in private otherwise I'd think the language would be pretty easy to remember.

Again, I'm just skeptical, and my perspective here is that of a self producing artist not an engineer or my position in sales.
Right, the issue is that "from where I sit", coming from you here = "I don't know anything about any of this".
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Right, the issue is that "from where I sit", coming from you here = "I don't know anything about any of this".
If they work out for you great, as we are in the low end board, I'm thinking one good 1k-2k mic by a proper manufacturer who has qc oversight over every part of the capsule is a better investment for the starving artist than 2-4 different colors you have to wrestle with until you find something that works.

Just my 2 cents
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they work out for you great, as we are in the low end board, I'm thinking one good 1k-2k mic by a proper manufacturer who has qc oversight over every part of the capsule is a better investment for the starving artist than 2-4 different colors you have to wrestle with until you find something that works.

Just my 2 cents
You're a gas. A "proper manufacturer who has QC oversight over every part of the capsule" describes 3U Audio 10x more than many companies that sell $1k-$2k mics in a retail scenario. Most of those guys aren't making their own capsules.

You're just being willfully ignorant here.

I've got $1k mics, I've got $2k mics, I've got $3k mics. You're acting as if there's some clean, linear relationship between retail pricetag and quality. There isn't.

Sometimes paying more gets you a better mic. Sometimes it doesn't. You don't seem to possess the ability to comprehend nuance or exceptions to the rigid rules of the mic market as you've created them in your own head.

These are not the mics for you.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
You're a gas. A "proper manufacturer who has QC oversight over every part of the capsule" describes 3U Audio 10x more than many companies that sell $1k-$2k mics in a retail scenario. Most of those guys aren't making their own capsules.

You're just being willfully ignorant here.

I've got $1k mics, I've got $2k mics, I've got $3k mics. You're acting as if there's some clean, linear relationship between retail pricetag and quality. There isn't.

Sometimes paying more gets you a better mic. Sometimes it doesn't. You don't seem to possess the ability to comprehend nuance or exceptions to the rigid rules of the mic market as you've created them in your own head.

These are not the mics for you.
That's really my point though, there are tons of mics out there now in a market filled with possibly thousands of companies where there used to be only a small handful who literally manufactured the entire capsule assembly from scratch.

My skepticism is well founded. Is 3U assembling the capsules, just skinning them, or merely tuning them? All of these could be worded to make it sound like they have manufactured them. Again I'm not trying to dis the company, we all gotta eat.

I believe you when you say they have integrity, which could very well be why they don't claim to make the capsules on their site. To say you've designed it doesn't say so much as you can send any product design for almost any product to China and shop it among multiple manufacturers until you find one who can build it reasonably well.

So I'm really speaking from the artists perspective here, there are still only a small handful of companies that manufacture anywhere close to the standards of the "golden age". If anyone had developed a manufacturing facility to produce truly original capsules from scratch, that would be news and thier calling card.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's really my point though, there are tons of mics out there now in a market filled with possibly thousands of companies where there used to be only a small handful who literally manufactured the entire capsule assembly from scratch.

My skepticism is well founded. Is 3U assembling the capsules, just skinning them, or merely tuning them? All of these could be worded to make it sound like they have manufactured them. Again I'm not trying to dis the company, we all gotta eat.

I believe you when you say they have integrity, which could very well be why they don't claim to make the capsules on their site. To say you've designed it doesn't say so much as you can send any product design for almost any product to China and shop it among multiple manufacturers until you find one who can build it reasonably well.

So I'm really speaking from the artists perspective here, there are still only a small handful of companies that manufacture anywhere close to the standards of the "golden age". If anyone had developed a manufacturing facility to produce truly original capsules from scratch, that would be news and thier calling card.
Read the thread and inform yourself or move on, for goodness' sake.

Guosheng is a guy other companies get to design and build capsules for them. He runs the factory. You keep asking, I keep telling you, you don't believe me. I don't care.

If you're not going to believe any of us, why the hell are you still asking us about this stuff?

You've come into a long conversation, refused to get up to speed, made some false claims and demanded we all correct them by recovering the ground we've already covered. And then when we oblige, you don't believe us.

It's obnoxious.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Ok man, I've made no demands don't misrepresent me.

I just wonder exactly how the capsules come to be, and since I must spend money to even hear one, I'm voicing all my doubts.

I have some insight into the manufacturing world for audio gear and there's plenty reason to be skeptical. There is a difference between manufacturing and assembly, and if any part of the capsule comes out of China whose political and economic corruption is well documented, I'd just like to know as someone with very limited income for gear.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Even the best qc inspection can't catch inconsistencies in raw materials which could have a detrimental effect to the lifespan and reliability of the product over the long run.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

He's on a mission.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Again, the thing is that 3U Audio is different from how the industry typically works. Hence the success and this here mammoth thread.
As a retailer you are part of the industry. And if you sell microphones, too, then 3U Audio may mean "trouble", because Guosheng offers his mics much cheaper than a retailer ever could.

Guosheng Zhuang has capsule making as his core business. On the side, he started building his own line of microphones around the capsules. Here's the original Gearslutz thread:
3U Audio is designing a switchable sound style condenser microphone, any suggestion?
Our well respected forum member kidvybes picked up on this and largely by his doing, 3U Audio grew big faster than Guosheng anticipated. If you want to see the early mic plant, check out post #1200 at the bottom of page 40.
Unfortunately kidvybes passed away one year ago yesterday.

For starters, he's more modest than many of us westerners.
More importantly, capsule making being his core business means he makes the things for other brands. This calls for some um ... discretion. That's all I'll say about it.
Well, I missed this post, so I see they are indeed Chinese mics. It's hard to know how consistent the raw materials are and we can only trust the manufacturers claims as passing off inferior metals and plastics is as easy as bribing the right person there. The designer seems obviously sincere though.

No offense but I'll stick with my tlm as my concern is a mic that will work for my whole life not stocking a studio locker.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

What precisely do you sell?
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
What precisely do you sell?
"Pro audio" presumably but the home recording revolution has created an environment where it can be difficult to tell the difference between consumer and industrial grade.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Nut

Ok troll....times like these I wish there was a mute button.... oh wait.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bender_ View Post
Ok troll....times like these I wish there was a mute button.... oh wait.
If I'm just trolling tell me how one can verify the consistency of raw materials outside of proper government regulation or on site testing, neither of which is likely in china or economically feasible for any manufacturer.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

If you have paying gigs tomorrow and you need a good mic these seem like a good option, if you're buying planning to use it for the next 20-30 years as one of only a few options you have, I personally would not buy from China.

There's no way of knowing when the plastics will deteriorate or the metals oxidize faster because of impurities.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Definitely a troll. On the prowl at that. Not that it's a bad mic (I think it works well for VO) but He's talking up his tlm103 Just so you know his frame of reference. I just happened to notice his other thread a few minutes ago.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Definitely a troll. On the prowl at that. Not that it's a bad mic (I think it works well for VO) but He's talking up his tlm103 Just so you know his frame of reference. I just happened to notice his other thread a few minutes ago.
The 103 is the best value going for truly professional, i.e. near guaranteed lifetime of use, at anything approaching affordable in my humble opinion. If you have a large collection of outboard preamps I can see why you might not think much of it as it really benifits from the proper low cut attenuation for close micing voice which no pre I'm aware of can provide the correct curve.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, this was a waste of time.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Addict

Capsule is made in Australia, btw.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany View Post
Capsule is made in Australia, btw.
No, Guosheng splits the year between Australia and China but his factory is in China.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 103 is the best value going for truly professional, i.e. near guaranteed lifetime of use, at anything approaching affordable in my humble opinion.
Yeah, your very first post and thread on this forum were about the TLM103.
Do you sell 'em?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search