The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 19th March 2017
  #4501
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
After over 4500 replies on a thread started in April 2015 I can't say I have followed this ...
There lies the problem.

Seriously.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4502
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
There lies the problem.

Seriously.
+1000

-Mike
Old 19th March 2017
  #4503
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
I don't own any I'm just rather sceptical.

If I were buying below 1k I wouldn't bother spending more than $300 for cardioid only myself, then saving for something better, but that's just my opinion.
So you make a lengthy post in a thread of 4500 posts about a product you are sure can't sound better than other things out there... and it's from China where apparently people are just so slovenly and inept they are incable of any sort of quality level of design or manufacturing...even though they make the majority of parts in the mics you THINK are quality...and you haven't even tried any of the mics or own one?

And then you wouldn't spend more than $300 for a cardiod only mic...even though multi pattern 3u Warblers are $349.

Did I get that right? If I missed something let me know; I don't want to misrepresent your position
Old 19th March 2017
  #4504
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
So you make a lengthy post in a thread of 4500 posts about a product you are sure can't sound better than other things out there... and it's from China where apparently people are just so slovenly and inept they are incable of any sort of quality level of design or manufacturing...even though they make the majority of parts in the mics you THINK are quality...and you haven't even tried any of the mics or own one?

And then you wouldn't spend more than $300 for a cardiod only mic...even though multi pattern 3u Warblers are $349.

Did I get that right? If I missed something let me know; I don't want to misrepresent your position
Well I work pro audio sales and in my experience demoing gear this is what I've found.

For example, the blue baby bottle is slightly more satisfying as a performer than a bluebird but honestly, saving the $ towards a tlm103 or 414 is a better move.

I would rather have an Aston origin or even the lowly at2020 than any knock off mic, then save for better.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4505
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
Well I work pro audio sales and in my experience demoing gear this is what I've found.

For example, the blue baby bottle is slightly more satisfying as a performer than a bluebird but honestly, saving the $ towards a tlm103 or 414 is a better move.

I would rather have an Aston origin or even the lowly at2020 than any knock off mic, then save for better.
Interesting thoughts...these aren't knock off mics though. And an Mk1d is far superior to an origin or at2020...and is equal to, or better depending on taste, to a 414 or tlm103.

You should try one Inthink you would be surprised. And the GZ series are tough to beat at the higher price point you mentioned in your first post
Old 19th March 2017
  #4506
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
Interesting thoughts...these aren't knock off mics though. And an Mk1d is far superior to an origin or at2020...and is equal to, or better depending on taste, to a 414 or tlm103.

You should try one Inthink you would be surprised. And the GZ series are tough to beat at the higher price point you mentioned in your first post
Fair enough, my employer is not a dealer for these so I haven't heard them but, I've heard all the major players in this price range.

If somehow a small start up has developed a capsule that completes with the pioneering firms I'm all ears but as I say, I'm skeptical.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4507
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
After over 4500 replies on a thread started in April 2015 I can't say I have followed this but...My 2 cents
This is one of the most intelligent, wickedly funny posts I have encountered on this forum.

Thanks, your humor is appreciated!
Old 19th March 2017
  #4508
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
Fair enough, my employer is not a dealer for these so I haven't heard them but, I've heard all the major players in this price range.

If somehow a small start up has developed a capsule that completes with the pioneering firms I'm all ears but as I say, I'm skeptical.
A good place to start here would be gaining a clue as to what you're posting about.

You've got some broad ideas about the marketplace in general - which is of course fine - but you're attempting to apply them to a specific situation that you know nothing about and have no experience with. Sorry, but not even taking the time to give yourself a cursory understanding of this stuff before posting makes for...well, posts no one should take seriously.

The designer/manufacturer of these mics has been around for 20+ years, designing and manufacturing capsules and circuits for many other companies, some costly boutique names. It's not a "startup".

His capsules are precisely why these mics are good. They're also stuffed with the same premium components that people put in their high quality DIY mics i.e. Dale, WIMA, Fairchild, AMI.

Lucky for us, the electrons don't give a **** about the ways we decide the General Microphone Marketplace works A well designed mic with high quality components will always sound good, regardless of personal biases.

Last edited by Ragan; 19th March 2017 at 07:29 AM..
Old 19th March 2017
  #4509
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
A good place to start here would be gaining a clue as to what you're posting about.

You've got some broad ideas about the marketplace in general - which is of course fine - but you're attempting to apply them to a specific situation that you know nothing about and have no experience with. Sorry, but not even taking the time to give yourself a cursory understanding of this stuff before posting makes for...well, posts no one should take seriously.

The designer/manufacturer of these mics has been around for 20+ years, designing and manufacturing capsules and circuits for many other companies, some costly boutique names. It's not a "startup".

His capsules are precisely why these mics are good. They're also stuffed with the same premium components that people put in their high quality DIY mics i.e. Dale, WIMA, Fairchild, AMI.

Lucky for us, the electrons don't give a **** about the ways we decide the General Microphone Marketplace works A well designed mic with high quality components will always sound good, regardless of personal biases.
All due respect we just have different ideas about what makes a good investment. Making a living and creating real innovation are not the same. Designing a capsule that is then built on another continent without your direct qc oversight but for once every few quarters is just not going to produce the same results as a company like sennhieser who can directly monitor Neumann production qc.

My feelings on diy are much the same, if your end result is merely reminiscent of the real thing, you can get that with plugins for a lot less work, but a capsule needs to be manufactured and diy isn't realistic.

But again, this is all just my opinion. I would rather spend money on a few key pieces I can fully depend on in every situation than have a hodgepodge I have to sift through to find some kind of elusive combination on a budget.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4510
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
But again, this is all just my opinion.
Yup.
And based on assumptions.

May I ask why you joined Gearslutz this month?
And why you decided to chime in on this thread?
Old 19th March 2017
  #4511
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Yup.
And based on assumptions.

May I ask why you joined Gearslutz this month?
And why you decided to chime in on this thread?
There's a reason David Royer put his name on his ribbon mics but not mojave. I'm not making any assumptions, I've heard countless mics based on outsourced capsules, none of them were full on garbage, but slapping a good transformer in there or what not will not fix the one bit that makes the mic of lower value, the capsule.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4512
Lives for gear
3U Audio design and make their own capsules, they don't outsource. They have excellent QC.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4513
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
3U Audio design and make their own capsules, they don't outsource. They have excellent QC.
I'll check it out. With so many mic companies now it has been the norm for every single one to do so. If this is an assumption I've made I'd say it's understandable. We are literally swimming in Chinese k67 clones in pro audio retail.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4514
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
All due respect we just have different ideas about what makes a good investment. Making a living and creating real innovation are not the same. Designing a capsule that is then built on another continent without your direct qc oversight but for once every few quarters is just not going to produce the same results as a company like sennhieser who can directly monitor Neumann production qc.

My feelings on diy are much the same, if your end result is merely reminiscent of the real thing, you can get that with plugins for a lot less work, but a capsule needs to be manufactured and diy isn't realistic.

But again, this is all just my opinion. I would rather spend money on a few key pieces I can fully depend on in every situation than have a hodgepodge I have to sift through to find some kind of elusive combination on a budget.
Again, your total lack of knowledge about these mics is leading to you making totally nonsensical statements.

The owner and designer of 3U Audio owns the factory where these are made. What on earth are you talking about "other continent" and lack of "oversight"? "Every few quarters"?

It's very odd that you would take the time to object to these mics knowing absolutely nothing about them. You're objecting to The Idea of these mics, rather than the mics themselves. Add to that the fact that you haven't taken any time to learn what these mics are and aren't and it leaves me scratching my head and wondering about motives.

I've got some of your sacrosanct Neumanns too. Some of us using these 3U mics use them along side nice, high price tag gear, myself included.

You seem to want there to be a nice clean divide between "budget" and "high quality" gear. It isn't so.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4515
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
With so many mic companies now it has been the norm for every single one to do so.
The point is that 3U Audio (owned by a veteran capsule maker) is different.
That is exactly why this thread has over 4500 replies and almost 400,000 views.



Quote:
I'll check it out.
In what way will you do that? You didn't read the thread and when we try to summarise it for you, you're not listening.

Buying a couple will tell the story, too BTW.

Quote:
We are literally swimming in Chinese k67 clones in pro audio retail.
Are you in retail? If so, you won't make money on these. Which is another key difference.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4516
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Again, your total lack of knowledge about these mics is leading to you making totally nonsensical statements.

The owner and designer of 3U Audio owns the factory where these are made. What in earth are you talking about "other continent" and lack of "oversight"? "Every few quarters"?

It's very odd that you would take the time to object to these mics knowing absolutely nothing about them.

I've got some of your sacrosanct Neumann's too. Some of us using these 3U mics also have nice, high end gear, myself included. You seem to want their to be a nice clean divide between "budget" and "high quality" gear. It isn't so.
In terms of pure fidelity nothing can overcome what a capsule lacks. If 3U has reverse engineered another firms success good on them I suppose, if the capsules are a new design, I'm still wary that a relatively young company can really compete with the decades of cumulative knowledge the old companies possess.

I'm just partial to Neumann because it's one of the older companies that has never lowered its standards to satisfy a budget demand completely.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4517
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
There's a reason David Royer put his name on his ribbon mics but not mojave. I'm not making any assumptions, I've heard countless mics based on outsourced capsules, none of them were full on garbage, but slapping a good transformer in there or what not will not fix the one bit that makes the mic of lower value, the capsule.
Ok now this is getting ridiculous. You say "I'm not making any assumptions" and then proceed with your argument which is, in its entirety, based purely on assumption.

If you're trolling the thread for some nefarious reason (welcome to GS btw ), knock yourself out. Otherwise, goodness sake, read up a little before jumping in with totally misinformed nonsense.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4518
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
The point is that 3U Audio (owned by a veteran capsule maker) is different.
That is exactly why this thread has over 4500 replies and almost 400,000 views.




In what way will you do that? You didn't read the thread and when we try to summarise it for you, you're not listening.

Buying a couple will tell the story, too BTW.


Are you in retail? If so, you won't make money on these. Which is another key difference.

Sadly yes, I'm in retail at the moment. I'm not here to sell anything though so I only mention it because it has afforded me the opportunity to demo tons of gear over the last ten years.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4519
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
In terms of pure fidelity nothing can overcome what a capsule lacks. If 3U has reverse engineered another firms success good on them I suppose, if the capsules are a new design, I'm still wary that a relatively young company can really compete with the decades of cumulative knowledge the old companies possess.

I'm just partial to Neumann because it's one of the older companies that has never lowered its standards to satisfy a budget demand completely.
"What a capsule lacks"...

Again, this is pure assumption.

You've not spent one minute with a 3U capsule or mic. You haven't even read the thread you've jumped in on enough to have a basic understanding of what it is you're talking down.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4520
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Ok now this is getting ridiculous. You say "I'm not making any assumptions" and then proceed with your argument which is, in its entirety, based purely on assumption.

If you're trolling the thread for some nefarious reason (welcome to GS btw ), knock yourself out. Otherwise, goodness sake, read up a little before jumping in with totally misinformed nonsense.
I'm not trolling no.

I see nothing on their site which indicates they make their own capsules.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4521
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
I'm not trolling no.

I see nothing on their site which indicates they make their own capsules.
Heheh. Dude.

Read the thread, or at least skim it. Most of us here have been in touch with the owner/designer himself because that's how you buy his mics, you just email him. This thread has seen other mic company owners chime in, dust ups about global manufacturing and OEM rebranding, major spamming from competitors, the passing away of the guy who started the thread (who happened to be an enormous vault of knowledge about the mic manufacturing world)...

You can get your assumptions corrected if you wish to.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4522
Gear Nut
 
_Bender_'s Avatar
 

Love it when a cocky noob comes in with little posts and starts asserting their ASSumptions...er I mean " knowledge"
Old 19th March 2017
  #4523
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Heheh. Dude.

Read the thread, or at least skim it. Most of us here have been in touch with the owner/designer himself because that's how you buy his mics, you just email him. This thread has seen other mic company owners chime in, dust ups about global manufacturing and OEM rebranding, major spamming from competitors, the passing away of the guy who started the thread (who happened to be an enormous vault of knowledge about the mic manufacturing world)...

You can get your assumptions corrected if you wish to.
If he's making his own capsules it should be on the main page of his site. As it isn't, it's natural that people would think they are outsourced in today's environment. I find it odd that a company started by a capsule expert wouldn't make this their number one selling point if it is indeed the case. My guess is, at best, they assemble the capsules, which I suppose is a possible improvement.

Again, my comments have been 1 my opinion and 2 expressions of skepticism, not any product bashing.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4524
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
If he's making his own capsules it should be on the main page of his site. As it isn't, it's natural that people would think they are outsourced in today's environment. I find it odd that a company started by a capsule expert wouldn't make this their number one selling point if it is indeed the case. My guess is, at best, they assemble the capsules, which I suppose is a possible improvement.

Again, my comments have been 1 my opinion and 2 expressions of skepticism, not any product bashing.
You have no idea what you're talking about. You could change that if you wanted but it doesn't seem you do.

This is boring. Keep "guessing" about things or actually learn about them so you can go off more than guesses and assumptions. No one's going to recreate the whole thread for you.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4525
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. You could change that if you wanted but it doesn't seem you do.

This is boring. Keep "guessing" about things or actually learn about them so you can go off more than guesses and assumptions. No one's going to recreate the whole thread for you.
Sorry I didn't read all 4,500 posts first.

I still think if the capsules are legit manufactured 100% by 3U it would be the lead story on the company but it's extremely reminiscent of the market trend of focusing on transformers etc which only support the main part of the mic.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4526
Gear Maniac
 

My views aren't exactly just guessing as I work sales. When you want to sell something you focus on its strongest aspect and wash over the weakest ones. A mic company which makes a larger mention of supporting components but barely even addresses the capsule, aside from a few pictures in its marketing, is suspect from my experience selling stuff.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4527
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
My views aren't exactly just guessing as I work sales. When you want to sell something you focus on its strongest aspect and wash over the weakest ones. A mic company which makes a larger mention of supporting components but barely even addresses the capsule, aside from a few pictures in its marketing, is suspect from my experience selling stuff.
Generalities. Nothing to do with 3U.

3U is not a retail company, which is maybe why you don't/won't understand this stuff.

Their website is not slick, their marketing is nonexistent. This guy's main bread and butter for 20+ years has been designing and building for other, established brands. He only recently started selling these designs directly.

None of your broad, sweeping generalizations apply here. It's not a normal "company".

Of course you aren't gonna read all 4500 posts. And of course none of us are going to pretend you have any idea what you're talking about.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4528
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Generalities. Nothing to do with 3U.

3U is not a retail company, which is maybe why you don't/won't understand this stuff.

Their website is not slick, their marketing is nonexistent. This guy's main bread and butter for 20+ years has been designing and building for other, established brands. He only recently started selling these designs directly.

None of your broad, sweeping generalizations apply here. It's not a normal "company".

Of course you aren't gonna read all 4500 posts. And of course none of us are going to pretend you have any idea what you're talking about.
Man I just really skeptical ok? I've thrown away thousands of dollars on gear used by pros who have the justification and ability to collect all they want and only use the prize pieces I fell for on very specific things.

If 3U is making their own capsules it should be on their front page, this isn't even really about marketing it's simple common sense. I haven't even said who I work for so I'm not here to generate any sales, just another dude talking gear. I have no investment in whether or not 3U is successful or even my employer at the end of the day, I'm just trying to pay my bills and make good buys on gear while I follow my dreams like everyone else here.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4529
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
Man I just really skeptical ok? I've thrown away thousands of dollars on gear used by pros who have the justification and ability to collect all they want and only use the prize pieces I fell for on very specific things.

If 3U is making their own capsules it should be on their front page, this isn't even really about marketing it's simple common sense. I haven't even said who I work for so I'm not here to generate any sales, just another dude talking gear. I have no investment in whether or not 3U is successful or even my employer at the end of the day, I'm just trying to pay my bills and make good buys on gear while I follow my dreams like everyone else here.
That's fine. Nothing wrong with skepticism.

But several people have been responding to/correcting your perceived objections to these mics and you don't seem to believe us.

Either take our word for it or read the thread. There are dozens and dozens of clips, posted by lots of people. There are hundreds of reviews from people who've bought these mics. If you're really Another Dude Trying To Make Good Buys, then dig in and get the scoop for yourself.

That's how all of us got here in the first place.
Old 19th March 2017
  #4530
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Worth pointing out that you're coming into a conversation that a bunch of Other Skeptics have been having for a couple years.

We've all been through the same run around with budget mics that you have. I've had abut everything under the sun here.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump