The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseesConnect View Post
Thanks for the reply! Now my choice for SDC's is down to 2 choices: CM-100 or KSM137. Anyone could comment on the difference between both and which one would be a better choice? The KSM137 are twice the price of the CM-100 here in Canada.
Don't rule out the inexpensive Line Audio CM3 or the more pricey Aston Starlight.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Don't rule out the inexpensive Line Audio CM3 or the more pricey Aston Starlight.
That's not helping.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Those barbaric microphones look really intriguing. I have a hard time buying a mic before I hear it though.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Those barbaric microphones look really intriguing. I have a hard time buying a mic before I hear it though.
May be Chris will build one and let you return it if not to your liking for just a restocking fee?

Are you Brent Averill? If so, as you are a fellow manufacturer, I'm sure you can work something out.

Man, I really am touting for business for Chris. I should be on the payroll! lol
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
May be Chris will build one and let you return it if not to your liking for just a restocking fee?

Are you Brent Averill? If so, as you are a fellow manufacturer, I'm sure you can work something out.

Man, I really am touting for business for Chris. I should be on the payroll! lol
So Chris offered a deal to me where he would send me both the BA-80 and BA-67 so I could test which I thought worked better for my vocals and then let me send one back. I am not sure about a re-stocking fee but he made it seem like i'd prob just have to pay shipping back and thats it!

I think I am gonna go the full nine yards with him and send him vocal clips etc etc. And do a full custom tube mic. Try and get something custom tailored to my voice. Capsule, transformer, tubes etc etc.

Def thinking I wanna try the HK-67 capsule by eric heiserman
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

What happened to your good friend?
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
So Chris offered a deal to me where he would send me both the BA-80 and BA-67 so I could test which I thought worked better for my vocals and then let me send one back. I am not sure about a re-stocking fee but he made it seem like i'd prob just have to pay shipping back and thats it!

I think I am gonna go the full nine yards with him and send him vocal clips etc etc. And do a full custom tube mic. Try and get something custom tailored to my voice. Capsule, transformer, tubes etc etc.

Def thinking I wanna try the HK-67 capsule by eric heiserman
Nice one! I think Eric's capsules are possibly the best bang for the buck or may be the 3U ones? Best of luck with the mic.
Old 10th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
What happened to your good friend?

Oh thats still in the cards. I am gonna have a tube mic built by BA and then I am going to build a vintage u87fet clone as close as I can get to the Stam Audio Sa-87. :D
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not counting on either.

Anyway, 3U Audio anyone?
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Oh thats still in the cards. I am gonna have a tube mic built by BA and then I am going to build a vintage u87fet clone as close as I can get to the Stam Audio Sa-87. :D
I'm envious. I just have zero spare cash, so no new toys for me for the foreseeable future, but a barbaric mic will be mine someday! I may sell my AKG D25 to fund it?
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let me know how it sounds if you get it. I'd love all his mics!

I know he's busy. He wants to have some mic's built and ready to go, and also have some mics to send out for demo, but being a one man show, it's hard for him to get ahead. I'm so pleased he's getting more and more recognition.

He likes the 3U Audio mic's btw and of course the capsules.
Hey Kane, can you post or PM me some vocal samples of your barbaric mics? I'm really interested in using his mics for vocal applications, but I've been using a Neumann tlm 170, and while it's not a traditional vocal mic I'm just on the fence if they're gonna be comparable in sound quality...I'm planning on having use a higher end capsule in it anyways, but I just want SOME audio evidence of his work! Haha. Thanks man
Old 10th March 2017
Quote:
I'm not counting on either.

Anyway, 3U Audio anyone?
Haha well of course its gonna take a lil bit of time. I've gotta save up a bit more extra dough and then I told myself id sell my warbler before I got any new mics
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
Hey Kane, can you post or PM me some vocal samples of your barbaric mics? I'm really interested in using his mics for vocal applications, but I've been using a Neumann tlm 170, and while it's not a traditional vocal mic I'm just on the fence if they're gonna be comparable in sound quality...I'm planning on having use a higher end capsule in it anyways, but I just want SOME audio evidence of his work! Haha. Thanks man
I don't own any of his mic's, so can't provide you with clips, but i have heard some recordings of them and liked them and also just know that he knows his stuff and that what he builds for the money is incredibly good value. I will try to track down some recordings for you and I'll PM you.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't own any of his mic's, so can't provide you with clips, but i have heard some recordings of them and liked them and also just know that he knows his stuff and that what he builds for the money is incredibly good value. I will try to track down some recordings for you and I'll PM you.
Ok that would be great, thank you, I appreciate the effort!
Old 11th March 2017
Quote:
If you could also shoot me a PM with those, that would be wonderful.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. 3U Audio.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

I continue to be impressed with the CM100s. I use the omni and omni flat a lot.

I'll be tracking some piano soon. A mellow upright that's been in my wife's family for a long time. I'll probably use cardioid for that. I'll definitely post some clips. Need to schedule a tuning first.
Old 11th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I continue to be impressed with the CM100s. I use the omni and omni flat a lot.

I'll be tracking some piano soon. A mellow upright that's been in my wife's family for a long time. I'll probably use cardioid for that. I'll definitely post some clips. Need to schedule a tuning first.
Do you have any experience with the KSM137?
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have any experience with the KSM137?
I don't, sorry.
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Nut
any update about the upcoming Mr. Zhuang's End address (transformerless output AND transformer coupled output) Mic for V.O. Artists? ETA?
Old 14th March 2017
Quote:
Any idea if the CM100 would be a better mic than the ATM450 or my modded MXL603s? Right now I am using modded MXL 2003's for overheads, but wondering if the CM100 would be a better fit, more hi-fi sound than the MXL and the ATM450? Thoughts?

Those little MXL603s' are great little mics. I used to have mine in overhead duty but I am liking the CM1 TEALs better there now. Tried the CM1 BLACKS there but liked the TEAL better.

Lately been using the MXL 603s' mogami for acoustic in xy mode and loving them. Thinking about CM100's for some time now. For acoustic and perhaps overhead.

Hey CurseesConnect, what mods are on your 603s'?

Peace.
Old 14th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaudio View Post
Those little MXL603s' are great little mics. I used to have mine in overhead duty but I am liking the CM1 TEALs better there now. Tried the CM1 BLACKS there but liked the TEAL better.

Lately been using the MXL 603s' mogami for acoustic in xy mode and loving them. Thinking about CM100's for some time now. For acoustic and perhaps overhead.

Hey CurseesConnect, what mods are on your 603s'?

Peace.

Got this a while ago on the groupDIY website. It is Gus' MXL mods:

"Change ceramic caps C3 and C4 from .22uf ceramic to .22uf Metal Film Panasonic caps from Digikey

Change the capsule/Gate cap C13 (on back of PC board) from a .001uf (1000pf) ceramic to a 1000pf Xicon Styroflex polystyrene cap from Mouser

After those 3 simple cap changes the already decent mic becomes wonderful. I will be using thes mics more and more."

It did improve the sound. They do sound great on acoustic guitars, but for overheads, I'm not a huge fan.
Old 14th March 2017
Quote:
Got this a while ago on the groupDIY website. It is Gus' MXL mods:

"Change ceramic caps C3 and C4 from .22uf ceramic to .22uf Metal Film Panasonic caps from Digikey

Change the capsule/Gate cap C13 (on back of PC board) from a .001uf (1000pf) ceramic to a 1000pf Xicon Styroflex polystyrene cap from Mouser

After those 3 simple cap changes the already decent mic becomes wonderful. I will be using thes mics more and more."

It did improve the sound. They do sound great on acoustic guitars, but for overheads, I'm not a huge fan.

Thanks for the link.
Old 15th March 2017
Here for the gear

I would really love to hear anyone's opinion (or sound samples) comparing the CM100's to either a KM184 or Line Audio CM3. I'm looking for a new pair of SDC's and currently have the CM3's and am familiar with 184's. I was thinking about checking out the new Lauten LA120's, some used AKG C460's or the 3U CM100's. Looking for something that's a different flavor from the CM3's, which I find a little on the bright side, which is fine as long as the source it's too bright. Sounds like maybe these CM100's would be a bit darker, if they're warmer than 184's.
Old 15th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorman View Post
I would really love to hear anyone's opinion (or sound samples) comparing the CM100's to either a KM184 or Line Audio CM3. I'm looking for a new pair of SDC's and currently have the CM3's and am familiar with 184's. I was thinking about checking out the new Lauten LA120's, some used AKG C460's or the 3U CM100's. Looking for something that's a different flavor from the CM3's, which I find a little on the bright side, which is fine as long as the source it's too bright. Sounds like maybe these CM100's would be a bit darker, if they're warmer than 184's.
isn't the diaphragm in the CM3 smaller?
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

One year today, friends.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/thos...-kidvybes.html
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow it definitely doesn't feel like that long.

-Mike
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

After over 4500 replies on a thread started in April 2015 I can't say I have followed this but the fact that the capsule provides the main voice of the mic, I have to say that all these knock off mics are just odd to me.

Honestly, they do all sounud different but the quality of the sound makes me feel that most sub $1k mics are all basically lateral moves. You won't find much better, just different. Now, the diference might might be just what you need but a fundamentally better mic will work on more stuff.

It pretty much comes down to the capsule in my opinion.

I think rather than getting one mic that gives different "voicing" you're better off with a better mic that will capture more sounds well. That being said, a neutral mic is the best option when on a budget, not something trying to cop another tone it can't really compete with.

I have yet to hear a Chinese knock off that comes anywhere close to the original, the ones that aren't trying to copy are often far more versatile.

My 2 cents
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
After over 4500 replies on a thread started in April 2015 I can't say I have followed this but the fact that the capsule provides the main voice of the mic, I have to say that all these knock of mics are just odd to me.

Honestly, they do all sound different but the quality of the sound makes me feel that most sub $1k mics are all basically lateral moves. You won't find much better, just different. Now, the diference might might be just what you need but a fundamentally better mic will work on more stuff.

I think rather than getting one mic that gives different "voicing" you're better off with a better mic that will capture more sounds well. That being said, a neutral mic is the best option when on a budget, not something trying to cop another tone it can't really compete with.

I have yet to hear a Chinese knock off that comes anywhere close to the original, the ones that aren't trying to copy are often far more versatile.

My 2 cents
I think you're missing the entire point of the voicing features on 3u audio mics or what they actually are; makes me feel like you haven't used any before.

How many do you own?
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornsfyeah View Post
After over 4500 replies on a thread started in April 2015 I can't say I have followed this but the fact that the capsule provides the main voice of the mic, I have to say that all these knock of mics are just odd to me.

Honestly, they do all sound different but the quality of the sound makes me feel that most sub $1k mics are all basically lateral moves. You won't find much better, just different. Now, the diference might might be just what you need but a fundamentally better mic will work on more stuff.

My 2 cents
The capsules of the 3U Audio mic's are one of the reasons the mic's are so good. Other people are using these capsules to put in their mic's.
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
I think you're missing the entire point of the voicing features on 3u audio mics or what they actually are; makes me feel like you haven't used any before.

How many do you own?
I don't own any I'm just rather sceptical.

If I were buying below 1k I wouldn't bother spending more than $300 for cardioid only myself, then saving for something better, but that's just my opinion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search