The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by downrazor11 View Post
Same clips as mp3s (first clip is C414b, second clip is Warbler I):
Glad you're liking the Warbler I you bought from me. Sounds great on your voice.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post
What led you to the MK3 rather than 4 or 5 which appear to be in the same area of sound ?
...for a start, I think that has more to do with the fact that the only 2 Warblers I was willing to part with were the II and III (I already have a total of 4 other "47" and "C12" style LDCs in my arsenal)...I do know that Chris loved the III on acoustic guitar, and the II for male rock vocals...
Old 6th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Glad you're liking the Warbler I you bought from me. Sounds great on your voice.
Thanks for keeping it in great condition for me! For those reading through this thread, the Warbler I in my clips is the same mic as the Warbler I in guitarboy94's clips on page 2 (or page 3, it was so far ago..).. Cool that everyone can see how the same mic is on 2 different voices...
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Maniac

I been reading along and listening to all the examples thus far. Hearing a lot of impressive recordings! Just pulled the trigger on a Warbler I. I'll post vocal examples for anyone interested about dynamic (hip hop) vocals once it arrives in the mail.

Last edited by statixx; 6th July 2015 at 07:11 PM..
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post
What led you to the MK3 rather than 4 or 5 which appear to be in the same area of sound ?
Well for one, between the MK 3, 4, & 5 the 3 was the only one that Kidvybes was willing to let go lol.

Either way, even if I had a choice I was leaning towards the MK 3. For me it was more about multi use. The 5 is a super character mic that sounds like a ribbon. The 4 is 251-ish, which to me the 251 character is primarily a vocal thing.

The 3 is closer to the C414. Can't really say which of the 414's cause I don't have much experience with all the different variants. So being that the MK 3 is more on the 414 side, I felt it would excel in the same areas that the 414 is known to. So it was about versatility for me, Having a superb vocal mic that can excel in other applications (not to say that the others wouldn't either). I was in the market for a 414 and was considering a Lewitt as an alternative but then this thread came along and had me sell off a few mics so I could restructure my locker.

But those two mics were the ones that for Kidvybes were redundant with his current mic collection. I of course still want to add a 251and U87 voiced mic to my collection so I have my eyes on the 1 & 4 but I also want to add a multi pattern mic as well so I'm considering going for the GZ67 instead of the Warbler 1 or the 251 instead of the MK-4.

I must admit. I heard, touched, held, all the warblers and both teal and black CM-1's at Kidvybes and they're all fantastic, amazing, mics. And honestly, If you buy any of those mics you're just going to be so impressed that you'll probably end up buying the others.
Old 6th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
...And honestly, If you buy any of those mics you're just going to be so impressed that you'll probably end up buying the others.
Haha, I am worried that this will be the likelihood I will be facing soon as my curiosity overpowers my budget.. I am always looking for that heart of gold even if I already have one or two..
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Head

Thanks. IMO these warblers need some midrange boost for this singer, but after that I think the best was mk.IV, mk.V the close second and mk.I gets the bronze medal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
OK, here's another set of vocal demos done at Dream Machine's open-house the other day...this time it's "Female Reggae Vocals"...again, the engineer just pulled up an old-school reggae riddim-track and the vocalist simply free-styled along with the track...the Warbler I, IV and V were run thru the Focusrite Octopre MK II preamps...these are raw files with no treatment...I uploaded the WAV files so you can import the tracks into your DAW of choice, add any treatment you chose, and judge for yourself which mic you prefer...tempo setting for the original Nuendo session was 64BPM...

Female Reggae Vocal Demo Folder (instrumental track is copyright property of Tuviel Levi 2013):
https://app.box.com/s/tvzwc1izp7f4e2cqc5xx8tvwdi2kkan2

...the artist is Kristine Alicia and here is her Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/kristinealicia

***this is a tune I recently co-produced for Kristine:

...and here's a quick ruffmix MP3 of my Warbler choice:
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Old 7th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Hm. Am I the only one prefering the CM-1's over the Warblers in most clips? I don't know, I just enjoy the clarity. The Warblers have this big and soft bottom end, and I am wondering if it will cause problems comes mix time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
I dropped by the 3U Audio office today and Guosheng lent me some of his microphones to review.
Thanks haysonics, this is especially helpful!
I am referring to post 365 (U87-style comparison) and 392 (C12-style comparison). For me, both CM-1's are great on your voice. Maybe for your singing voice I slightly prefer the Warbler IV to the Teal CM-1, but I'm not sure. I don't like the highs on the Warbler III btw, it sounds too seperated from the rest.

And I'm wondering about the voicing feature. Well, none of these mics sounds terribly too bright to my. So would I ever want to cut the highs? And looking at the graphs and listening to the clips, I maybe would reach for EQ first before using the voicing as V2 and V3 looks quite honky in the graphs. The double lowcut feature of the CM-1's maybe would be more useful. For you guys using the Warblers, do you use the voicings? Or do you just leave it at V1?

Ok. The looks of the Warblers are clearly superiour!

Anyway, I think these are really great mics! Just trying to narrow down my choices.
Old 7th July 2015
Gear interested

Old 7th July 2015
0N3
Here for the gear

I am waiting to receive the Warbler I and IV. I may record a sample/s (Singing/Guitar) through a UA710 or wait until I receive and build SCA N72 and J99, either way Ill post it/them here.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
And I'm wondering about the voicing feature. Well, none of these mics sounds terribly too bright to my. So would I ever want to cut the highs? And looking at the graphs and listening to the clips, I maybe would reach for EQ first before using the voicing as V2 and V3 looks quite honky in the graphs. The double lowcut feature of the CM-1's maybe would be more useful. For you guys using the Warblers, do you use the voicings? Or do you just leave it at V1?
...I happen to like the voicing feature, but it's very voice/application specific...on the Warbler MK II (K47) I found voicing #3 the most appealing for vocals and it came closest to matching my high-end U47 clone tube-mic...on Warbler MK IV I found the voicing settings very useful as well, offering a nice range of tone...I rarely ever EQ-cut top-end on vocal tracks, but I often add 12-15K shelf boosts for air and articulation...I actually prefer to record certain more strident voices (female sopranos in particular) with darker voiced mics, and add some very specific, yet judicial EQ boosts to better cut thru in the mix...so the top-end attenuation options on the mic itself can be useful for my purposes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGiggles View Post
Could anyone explain the difference between the Teal and Black CM-1? On the 3u website black is listed as general purpose and teal listed as guitar.
3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones
...the Teal CM-1 employs an edge-terminated capsule (C12/251 voicing) which gives it a slight mid-scoop with a big bottom and clear top-end...the Black CM-1 has a classic center-terminated capsule (U87 voicing) with more upper-mid push and articulation and a smaller bottom...the two mics are almost polar-opposites and compliment each other very well for something like a vocal (Black CM-1) with acoustic guitar (Teal CM-1) accompaniment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0N3 View Post
I am waiting to receive the Warbler I and IV. I may record a sample/s (Singing/Guitar) through a UA710 or wait until I receive and build SCA N72 and J99, either way Ill post it/them here.
...nice!...love that SCA N72...great mic pre for vocals!

Last edited by kidvybes; 7th July 2015 at 08:09 PM..
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

I am surprised at how useful I have found the voicing positions on the IV.
Old 8th July 2015
Hey guys, when you got your mics from overseas did you have to sign for the packages? I need to know if I should try to be home to catch the usps carrier..
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
I am surprised at how useful I have found the voicing positions on the IV.
Thanks! Good to know.
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by downrazor11 View Post
Hey guys, when you got your mics from overseas did you have to sign for the packages?
...I did not have to sign...
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Head

I love the way the CM-1 handles sibilance. Very smooth in character. Perhaps a bit on the 'dark' side. But I can always add a touch of brightness via EQ if necessary. Very easy on the ears. Sold!
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Warbler Mk4 vs GZ251
Attached Files

Warbler Mk4.mp3 (1.52 MB, 2887 views)

GZ251.mp3 (1.52 MB, 2828 views)

Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Warbler Mk1 vs GZ67
Attached Files

Warbler Mk 1.mp3 (1.58 MB, 2753 views)

GZ67.mp3 (1.58 MB, 2693 views)

Old 9th July 2015
Gear Head

Ok. I have a request. Perhaps kidvybes could accommodate me. I would like a simple list of each of the 3U Audio mics with their capsule and circuitry next to them. I've been reading this thread and I feel like I need a program. Ideally, it would look like this:

Mic - Capsule - Internal Circuitry (namely type of design, whether transformerless, etc)

TIA!
Old 9th July 2015

Both GZ mics sound nice.

I like the roundness of the mids in the 67, and the useful low cut

I'd be happy with the Warbler Mk1.

Going back to your "U47 style" clips. I find those too "filtered"/rolled-off for my tastes (at least on your voice).

Last edited by Blast9; 9th July 2015 at 06:08 PM..
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
Ok. I have a request. Perhaps kidvybes could accommodate me. I would like a simple list of each of the 3U Audio mics with their capsule and circuitry next to them. I've been reading this thread and I feel like I need a program. Ideally, it would look like this:

Mic - Capsule - Internal Circuitry (namely type of design, whether transformerless, etc)

TIA!
OK, fair request for the sake of reference/clarity:

Teal CM-1 - edge-terminated capsule (251) - transformer-less FET output
Black CM-1 - center-terminated capsule (87) - transformer-less FET output
Warbler I - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK II - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK III - edge-terminated capsule (C12) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK IV - edge-terminated capsule (251) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK V - edge-terminated capsule (*dark) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output

* the voicing of the MK V is quite unique and while it might border on the dark side of a 251, it has a voicing that responds almost ribbon/dynamic like...

...and then, of course, there are the premium GZ-series FET and tube offerings...the designations (GZ67, GZ251, GZ47) are somewhat self-explanatory...these employ dual-diaphragmed capsules allowing for multiple polar-pattern settings...they also employ American and British made transformer-coupled output...

Last edited by kidvybes; 9th July 2015 at 06:31 PM..
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

The V does sound ribbon-ish indeed. It's in the ballpark of my AEA R84. Not quite as huge, and definitely a little faster transients, but tonally kind of similar.

Looking forward to checking out your recent clips when I get a chance, Haysonics.
Old 9th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
Warbler Mk4 vs GZ251
I really like the sonic texture of your voice on the GZ251! I think it fits you the best (with the Warbler III from the last page as runner-up). How much is the street price of the GZ251?
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
OK, fair request for the sake of reference/clarity:

Teal CM-1 - edge-terminated capsule (251) - transformer-less FET output
Black CM-1 - center-terminated capsule (87) - transformer-less FET output
Warbler I - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK II - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK III - edge-terminated capsule (C12) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK IV - edge-terminated capsule (251) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK V - edge-terminated capsule (*dark) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output

Thanks SO much man! I appreciate it.

Hmmm. Interesting indeed to see all of it charted out like that. So from what I can see here, the CM-1 and the MK V should have a somewhat similar voicing? The MK 5 being a bit quieter I suppose...
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hmmm. Interesting indeed to see all of it charted out like that. So from what I can see here, the CM-1 and the MK V should have a somewhat similar voicing? The MK 5 being a bit quieter I suppose...
Which CM-1? The teal one is edge terminated like the V, but it sounds a lot different. I've got both here right now. I suspect that the Warbler most similar to the teal CM-1 is the IV.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

...while the Teal CM-1 and Warbler MK V share a somewhat similar voicing, the CM-1 is actually somewhere between the MK IV and V, closer to the IV, as Ragan suggested...the Teal CM-1 stands out as a very unique LDC mic option at such an affordable pricepoint...

...of all the 3U Audio mics I've tested, the Teal CM-1 and Warbler MK V were the biggest sonic surprises...both are relatively "new flavors" which I look forward to working with...
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Which CM-1? The teal one is edge terminated like the V, but it sounds a lot different. I've got both here right now. I suspect that the Warbler most similar to the teal CM-1 is the IV.
Well, I have the teal CM-1 and the IV and they sound quite a bit different. ;~)
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Well, I have the teal CM-1 and the IV and they sound quite a bit different. ;~)
I'm sure they do. Different capsule, transformer vs transformerless.

I was just guessing that the IV is about the closest the teal CM-1 comes sonically to the Warblers.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I'm sure they do. Different capsule, transformer vs transformerless.

I was just guessing that the IV is about the closest the teal CM-1 comes sonically to the Warblers.

It might be - I don't know. Those are the only two that I own. But they are quite a bit different in the upper midrange and the high end of the CM-1 is a little more "airy" while the IV I find to be more "lush". Great compliments to each other.

You can see a bit of what I'm describing graphically via the frequency charts:

CM1 Teal: 3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones

Warbler MKIV: 3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones

I picked these two out via educated guess on source applications based upon the limited sound files in this thread and am happy that my assumptions were accurate. I will probably pick up another teal CM1 at some point.

Cheers,
Brock
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search