The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 2nd March 2017
Gear Nut

Ragan may chime in on this, but this is what he said about the WA-87 in the U87 clone wars thread on the last page.

"The WA-87 sounds a lot like if 3U made a GZ series version of the MKID (U87 style). It's voiced a lot like the MKID, but with extra definition and clarity, like a GZ series mic. A lot of that probably comes from the better transformer.

I'd gladly take a studio full of WA87s or GZ series mics to cover anything. I like vintage U87s, they're great (if they're in good shape). But if attracting clients wasn't a concern (it isn't for me), faced with the choice to get 1x U87 or 4x WA87 (or GZ67), I know which way I'd go, personally."
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
Ragan may chime in on this, but this is what he said about the WA-87 in the U87 clone wars thread on the last page.

"The WA-87 sounds a lot like if 3U made a GZ series version of the MKID (U87 style). It's voiced a lot like the MKID, but with extra definition and clarity, like a GZ series mic. A lot of that probably comes from the better transformer.

I'd gladly take a studio full of WA87s or GZ series mics to cover anything. I like vintage U87s, they're great (if they're in good shape). But if attracting clients wasn't a concern (it isn't for me), faced with the choice to get 1x U87 or 4x WA87 (or GZ67), I know which way I'd go, personally."
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Addict
Would someone be able to post a comparison between cm100.omni and km83/183 [or similar]?
Old 3rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Interesting. So I have been in the air deciding which mic to get next for the studio as a workhorse all rounder(But mostly for vocals for various clients) My list i've narrowed down to is the GZ67fet, the gz800fet, Warm Audio WA-87 & the stam audio sa-87. In your opinion Ragan, of the 4 listed, is there one you would call a better workhorse over the other? I do wish 3u offered a GZ series of the Warbler 1. As you probably remember I do own a Warbler 6 currently which I have grown to really like but I am ready to upgrade to a GZ series level mic or equivalent. I'd like to get that bit more depth and 3d sound.
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Interesting. So I have been in the air deciding which mic to get next for the studio as a workhorse all rounder(But mostly for vocals for various clients) My list i've narrowed down to is the GZ67fet, the gz800fet, Warm Audio WA-87 & the stam audio sa-87. In your opinion Ragan, of the 4 listed, is there one you would call a better workhorse over the other? I do wish 3u offered a GZ series of the Warbler 1. As you probably remember I do own a Warbler 6 currently which I have grown to really like but I am ready to upgrade to a GZ series level mic or equivalent. I'd like to get that bit more depth and 3d sound.
Tough to say. I haven't heard two of them (GZ800Fet and SA-87). If you're really talking workhorse, the U87 style is about as 'workhorse' as it gets, historically. For me it's a toss up between the GZ67Fet and the WA-87. GZ67Fet has a little silkier air and a little more pronounced low mid weight. WA-87 has a muscular, classic mid forward U87 voicing, with, in the files I've heard, a little softer top than the U87, which is welcome in my book.

Either would work well on almost anything.
Old 5th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
OK OK OK, I'm ordering the CM-100 match pair right now.
so did you get them? - I would love to compare them(CM100 FLAT) against KM184, and C5
Old 6th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsharp View Post
Anyone able to recommend which 3U mic would suit my voice?

https://soundcloud.com/jaz-man-453805398/untitled

Want to upgrade from my at2020
2020 sounds fine

but if you would like to move forward I use the MKIV
Old 6th March 2017
Can't go wrong with the Warbler !D, WA87 or the Aston Spirit which was such a surprise on male vocals. No one here could pick it out in a big shootout. There's a definite "name" bias but some of these new entries are just terrific. In a typical 4-5 piece pop/rock/country recording, they can all do the job. We're turning away from the big ticket mics (many of which we have used) and looking for cheaper gems that do the same job. Wish the Stam 87 was shipping, that's another to keep an eye on.
Old 7th March 2017
Here for the gear

I wish the Stam 87 was available, sounds so nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFv9G8nwtQ
Old 7th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsharp View Post
I wish the Stam 87 was available, sounds so nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFv9G8nwtQ
Honestly wouldn't building one of these be not too complicated? Based on the pcb kits you can buy etc, the only thing I couldn't find was the sowter transformer. But the cinemag one is widely available and the hk-87 capsule by eric heiserman is also easy to get. Is there something unique to the stam audio 87 that I'm missing?

Like using this kit. Saying I could get my hands on a sowter tranny and then buy the hk87 from eric, what makes the stam 87 special?

http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/DU87.html
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly wouldn't building one of these be not too complicated? Based on the pcb kits you can buy etc, the only thing I couldn't find was the sowter transformer. But the cinemag one is widely available and the hk-87 capsule by eric heiserman is also easy to get. Is there something unique to the stam audio 87 that I'm missing?

Like using this kit. Saying I could get my hands on a sowter tranny and then buy the hk87 from eric, what makes the stam 87 special?

Vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com
Yup, you can build it yourself.
As for the Sowter tranny, ask Dany Bouchard ^ or Brian Sowter for that matter.
And if you want to be among other builders (U87 or regardless) join this club:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?board=29.0

That said, you do need some soldering skills and such (which can be learned BTW).
And you could screw the first one up in such a way that after all said and done you might have been better off with a ready-made version.
The Stam is flawless (I assume).
And it's (still) reasonably priced.
But yes, you'll save some money if you DIY.
And you'll have fun to boot.
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

apologies if this has been covered... do we think that the transformered versions of the cm100 might float a little further towards KM84 territory? Is that the intent?
Old 7th March 2017
Same dilemma, holding off on buying either a Warm 87, 3U 67Z, or Stam 87. The price and quality is right, we're done with chasing badges and name plates. The Warbler I and Aston Spirit may have cured that obsession. It's a tough habit to kick but the results speak for themselves.
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear
I know I've mentioned him a few times before, but Chris at Barbaric Amplification will build you a mic that will kick ass for $500 (or more if you want). That's where I'm next spending any money on a mic, but not sure when I will have ANY spare cash. Check him out and tell him Kane sent ya!
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I know I've mentioned him a few times before, but Chris at Barbaric Amplification will build you a mic that will kick ass for $500 (or more if you want). That's where I'm next spending any money on a mic, but not sure when I will have ANY spare cash. Check him out and tell him Kane sent ya!
I think you mean more, they start at $500 WITHOUT a capsule...the cheapest of his suggested listings is $200. I was excited for a moment there, but $700-$850 your practically at a miktek cv4
Old 8th March 2017
Any idea if the CM100 would be a better mic than the ATM450 or my modded MXL603s? Right now I am using modded MXL 2003's for overheads, but wondering if the CM100 would be a better fit, more hi-fi sound than the MXL and the ATM450? Thoughts?

Last edited by CurseesConnect; 8th March 2017 at 08:53 PM..
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
I think you mean more, they start at $500 WITHOUT a capsule...the cheapest of his suggested listings is $200. I was excited for a moment there, but $700-$850 your practically at a miktek cv4
The Miktek retails for $1599. Also, consider that the price includes dealer markup, distribution, etc.

Barbaric makes custom tube mics via direct sales and no added costs, so most of your money goes into the mic. Plus you get to consult with him on component choices to voice the mic how you want it.

I'm not slagging Miktek at all, haven't used one. Just pointing that out your comparison is apples to oranges. My Barbaric mic is one of the best value purchases I've ever made.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
apologies if this has been covered... do we think that the transformered versions of the cm100 might float a little further towards KM84 territory? Is that the intent?
Yes, definitely.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yes it retails at double, so theres your mark up and distribution and so forth, but they also have the advantages of 'economy of scale.' And you can see they have sold on reverb for as little as $800, I wasnt talking new; you could argue a small business has its plenty of its own 'markups' due to the limitations of being small. So I dont think any of that was exactly fair.

I was just pointing out these mics cost as much as a cv4 (used obviously), and the $500 was not accurate if youre tossing in on the affordable mic train.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
so did you get them? - I would love to compare them(CM100 FLAT) against , and C5
I didn't get them, because I'm waiting on the transformer coupled version which should be available in a couple of months or less, according to 3U Audio. Since most of my recording is acoustic guitar I figured I'd wait and get what equates to the GZ fet version of the CM100.
Old 8th March 2017
Well I decided I am going to go the DIY route and build a u87 clone with the hk87 capsule and sowter tranny. I am lucky enough to have a good friend who is an electrical engineer and has tons of experience with this stuff so he is going to help me. I will be sure and post results once it's finished.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I decided I am going to go the DIY route and build a u87 clone with the hk87 capsule and sowter tranny. I am lucky enough to have a good friend who is an electrical engineer and has tons of experience with this stuff so he is going to help me. I will be sure and post results once it's finished.
Hey, that decision came quickly.
Now don't take it back you hear.

Good luck, man.
And keep us posted somewhere.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

He quoted me $500 a while back, so that is what I thought the price was. Apologies if I was wrong. However, I still think his mic's are the best value custom design, hand builds period. He does many more mic's than just the BA49 and BA47 btw. He has a vintage U87 type, but can do custom jobs.

Not taking anything away from these 3U Audio mic's either, possibly the best value in factory made mic's.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
So being curious, I hit up Chris at BA::

And said I was looking to upgrade from my current mic and the mic would be used mostly for hip hop/rap vocals. He suggested a couple of mics he does. One is the BA-80(c800 g style clone) and the BA-67(u67 style clone) He said he only builds tube mics. No solid state mics.

He quoted me 530$ for the mic(includes shipping) and it includes a basic shock mount, power supply etc. Funny enough he uses a k67 capsule from 3U with his own tuning's on them. He uses an AMI transformer, and NOS tubes, I'd imagine though if I wanted to get a different capsule, transformer, or tubes he would be more than happy to help me out. 530$ for a tube of that quality is a steal if you ask me.

One thing he did say to me and I quote: " I do not make solid state microphones only hand built, point to point tube microphones so a U87 is a no go for Barbaric." -Chris.

So maybe he used to do u87 style but doesn't anymore.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, well then I stand corrected, and I guess I'll be giving barbaric some serious attention in regards to my next mic, thanks doom and Kane
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
So being curious, I hit up Chris at BA::

And said I was looking to upgrade from my current mic and the mic would be used mostly for hip hop/rap vocals. He suggested a couple of mics he does. One is the BA-80(c800 g style clone) and the BA-67(u67 style clone) He said he only builds tube mics. No solid state mics.

He quoted me 530$ for the mic(includes shipping) and it includes a basic shock mount, power supply etc. Funny enough he uses a k67 capsule from 3U with his own tuning's on them. He uses an AMI transformer, and NOS tubes, I'd imagine though if I wanted to get a different capsule, transformer, or tubes he would be more than happy to help me out. 530$ for a tube of that quality is a steal if you ask me.

One thing he did say to me and I quote: " I do not make solid state microphones only hand built, point to point tube microphones so a U87 is a no go for Barbaric." -Chris.

So maybe he used to do u87 style but doesn't anymore.
I told you guys, best deal there is!

Btw, please mention my name, only because like I say, I always tell Chris I tell people about his work and I'd love him to know that's not just something I'm saying but not actually doing.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'm talking with him about his ba-25, which is a c12 and Elam 251 blend; it uses Guosheng's k12 edge terminated cap, a cinemas transformer, eh6072 tube, and a modified alctron/aphex power supply. All PTP, $500. I mentioned your name as well, thanks for the heads up. I guess his website shows mostly his custom work, but you can get his "pre-spec'd" builds for the stated $500+
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm talking with him about his ba-25, which is a c12 and Elam 251 blend; it uses Guosheng's k12 edge terminated cap, a cinemas transformer, eh6072 tube, and a modified alctron/aphex power supply. All PTP, $500. I mentioned your name as well, thanks for the heads up. I guess his website shows mostly his custom work, but you can get his "pre-spec'd" builds for the stated $500+
Let me know how it sounds if you get it. I'd love all his mics!

I know he's busy. He wants to have some mic's built and ready to go, and also have some mics to send out for demo, but being a one man show, it's hard for him to get ahead. I'm so pleased he's getting more and more recognition.

He likes the 3U Audio mic's btw and of course the capsules.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseesConnect View Post
Any idea if the CM100 would be a better mic than the ATM450 or my modded MXL603s? Right now I am using modded MXL 2003's for overheads, but wondering if the CM100 would be a better fit, more hi-fi sound than the MXL and the ATM450? Thoughts?
I'm certain that the CM100s will be better than the modded 603s, but I haven't used one. I have no experience with AT mics. I do have two modded 603s (3-cap mod), and a 990 and 920 with cap mods, zeners for higher polarization, and RK-12 capsules. All of the mods definitely help the MXLs, but they still didn't sound like I had hoped. I bought an Audient iD22, and not much changed. I didn't really understand why...

Once I borrowed my friends AKG C414 B-ULS pair, I realized that even after the mods the MXLs still had a harsh and hyped high end, and lacked clarity. The 414s had better low end response as well.

Now, I just received a pair of 3u MKIVDs, and they sound very similar to the C414s, but have more clarity in the mids. The MKIVDs just sound like an accurate representation of what I'm playing or singing. Clear, unhyped, and great sounding.

I want to thank Ragan for helping me figure out which mics to buy! And of course Mr. Zhuang for making killer mics for such a great price!
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
I'm certain that the CM100s will be better than the modded 603s, but I haven't used one. I have no experience with AT mics. I do have two modded 603s (3-cap mod), and a 990 and 920 with cap mods, zeners for higher polarization, and RK-12 capsules. All of the mods definitely help the MXLs, but they still didn't sound like I had hoped. I bought an Audient iD22, and not much changed. I didn't really understand why...

Once I borrowed my friends AKG C414 B-ULS pair, I realized that even after the mods the MXLs still had a harsh and hyped high end, and lacked clarity. The 414s had better low end response as well.

Now, I just received a pair of 3u MKIVDs, and they sound very similar to the C414s, but have more clarity in the mids. The MKIVDs just sound like an accurate representation of what I'm playing or singing. Clear, unhyped, and great sounding.

I want to thank Ragan for helping me figure out which mics to buy! And of course Mr. Zhuang for making killer mics for such a great price!
Thanks for the reply! Now my choice for SDC's is down to 2 choices: CM-100 or KSM137. Anyone could comment on the difference between both and which one would be a better choice? The KSM137 are twice the price of the CM-100 here in Canada.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search