The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 1 week ago
  #4411
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
cool - I have a warbMKIV and love it - do you have Miketk C5's? I am wondering how they compare - I have some C5's and love them but the lack of pad is concerning on occasion
I don't, sorry. Never used those Mikteks. The only SDCs I have worthwhile experience with are Oktava MK012s, the Beyer 930s, and Neumann KM184s and KM84s.
Old 1 week ago
  #4412
Gear Nut
 

OK OK OK, I'm ordering the CM-100 match pair right now.
Old 1 week ago
  #4413
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Here's a comparison of the CM100 (cardioid) and the Teal CM-1.





@dragonfly66
Old 1 week ago
  #4414
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

And here's a comparison between the omni and "omni flat" capsules. NOTE: this is not scientific. It's two different takes. No idea why I didn't do the same take with the two mics lined up, one with each capsule. I was in a bit of a hurry (which makes even less sense, because one take would have been quicker ) and just used the one mic and changed the capsule between takes.

It can at least give you some idea of what they sound like though.





Old 1 week ago
  #4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
And here's a comparison between the omni and "omni flat" capsules. NOTE: this is not scientific. It's two different takes. No idea why I didn't do the same take with the two mics lined up, one with each capsule. I was in a bit of a hurry (which makes even less sense, because one take would have been quicker ) and just used the one mic and changed the capsule between takes.

It can at least give you some idea of what they sound like though.





i love the omni flat - these mics sound great..whats your signal chain for this
Old 1 week ago
  #4416
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
i love the omni flat - these mics sound great..whats your signal chain for this
CM100 --> Great River MP-2NV --> Harrison 32C (just HPF around 70hz) --> Zen Modded Chameleon Labs 7720

The 7720 wasn't even moving the needle, I just like to track acoustics through it. Sometimes I squish it up more but for this, I just ran it through because that's my usual acoustic guitar chain and I was swapping mics around to evaluate.

I like the omni flat too, a lot. I bet it's great on drum OH. I will find out.
Old 1 week ago
  #4417
Gear Addict
 
Duke Murdock's Avatar
 

Thanks for taking the time to post those clips. I think you make a good point about how the LDC can pick up those lower resonances that are sometimes annoying on acoustic guitar whereas the SDC sort of ignores those from the start. I find it keeps that snappy transient attack that I like so much on acoustic, and provides the detail and clarity in the top end without being too harsh. The latter being a consistent theme from GZ's mics, which is part of why I like them so much. I figured that I was going to like these, but I think the end result exceeded my expectation. I like them more than I thought I would. It will be interesting to hear how they sound next to the usual suspects in this general price range, but I've been rather underwhelmed by the usual suspects for more than a while.
Old 1 week ago
  #4418
lpr
Here for the gear
 

Ordering the MKVI thanks to this thread! Thanks for the demos and information guys!
Old 1 week ago
  #4419
Gear Maniac
 

I should have a mkIV early this week. Already have a black CM-1 and find it's smoothness, especially considering its slightly tilted EQ response for my tastes, amazing!

I bought an at4040 (thinking I'd like its natural frequency response more than the CM-1) and sold it before long because it was so harsh in the high end.
Old 1 week ago
  #4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
I should have a mkIV early this week. Already have a black CM-1 and find it's smoothness, especially considering its slightly tilted EQ response for my tastes, amazing!

I bought an at4040 (thinking I'd like its natural frequency response more than the CM-1) and sold it before long because it was so harsh in the high end.
its a great mic!(MKIV) I use it all the time

you must use the pad with loud singers ..it gets nasty if you dont ..but after that its butter
Old 1 week ago
  #4421
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
its a great mic!(MKIV) I use it all the time

you must use the pad with loud singers ..it gets nasty if you dont ..but after that its butter
Nasty as in it starts to break up? Is that in a pleasing way? Depending on the song, I think that could be cool. Especially since I only have the clean preamps on my id22.
Old 1 week ago
  #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Nasty as in it starts to break up? Is that in a pleasing way? Depending on the song, I think that could be cool. Especially since I only have the clean preamps on my id22.
nope not pleasing at all.. I just did a live band with two singers at once..

a soft female voice Miktek CV4-> 2264jr->AD16X
and
a big 6ft male with alot of projection and close proximity to the mic
Warbler MKIV->Neve511->AD16X

I had to make changes to the warbler, his sibilant peaks were distorted but the pre wasnt - so I hit the -10 pad and voila, nice and clean, I can't remember if I used V1 or V2

he was leaning into the mic (I had a foam wind screen over it)since they were capturing everything live, backing off the mic could not be applied

regardless, I had a nice clean vocal after the pad
Old 1 week ago
  #4423
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
nope not pleasing at all.. I just did a live band with two singers at once..

a soft female voice Miktek CV4-> 2264jr->AD16X
and
a big 6ft male with alot of projection and close proximity to the mic
Warbler MKIV->Neve511->AD16X

I had to make changes to the warbler, his sibilant peaks were distorted but the pre wasnt - so I hit the -10 pad and voila, nice and clean, I can't remember if I used V1 or V2

he was leaning into the mic (I had a foam wind screen over it)since they were capturing everything live, backing off the mic could not be applied

regardless, I had a nice clean vocal after the pad
Do you find the MKIV works well on screechy, strident voices?
Old 1 week ago
  #4424
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Did a quick drum OH comparison with all the capsules. Not the same take, of course, but you can hear the range of sonics.







Old 1 week ago
  #4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Do you find the MKIV works well on screechy, strident voices?
i would pad it, and start with V2 setting, then try V3 - the mic is awesome.. I will have more variants in the future
Old 1 week ago
  #4426
Lives for gear
 

That's the spirit.
Old 6 days ago
  #4427
Fen
Here for the gear
I've lurked around for a while now in the threads that deal with the 3u audio microphones, and the brand has caught my interest. I mostly record VO and character voices for various projects so the MKVID is the microphone that I'm probably most interested in, due to that it has a U87AI and U87 inspired voicings, from what I have understood for voicing 2 and 3. And I also don't have any microphone with a pattern switch. So one of the ''D'' models would be ideal.

Currently I have a TLM 102 microphone which I bought used for 356 bucks. It was a significant upgrade from my Rode NT1A, because I always felt that the NT1A was a little harsh at times to say the least.

The thing I wonder which I hope that you guys can answer is if the MKVID would be a noticable upgrade from the TLM 102? I really like my TLM 102 and I doubt I will ever stop using it or selling it, but for certain things in the past I have felt that it might not have always been the most ideal microphone for everything. It might just be that I have missed the placement of the microphone sometimes, but I feel that it responds to the lower register of my voice in a good way, but for certain things, like some character voices I feel that it might give a little too much in that particular area.

I also have a certain interest to get a microphone with a transformer, because I am very curious if there would be a noticeable difference for my voice on one. So I've jumped between and looked at different brands and even DIY options, such as doing a DIY project with a U87I circuit. But so far the Warbler microphones do seem to fit my needs, due to the components on the inside and that there won't be any DIY risk either.

I'm also curious about the GZ67fet, and how it would work for VO. But at the same time I feel that the uh, ''Airy'' top of it might not be ideal for VO. At least I hear something on the top register with my ears from the GZ67fet samples that I have heard, next to the MKVID samples. While the MKVID might sound a little uh, ''boring'' in comparison. Which to me leaves an impression that it would be a mighty fine workhorse mic.

When it comes to my budget I could stretch for the price of a GZ67fet (I believe it was 599 USD, if I recall the pricing I got from Guosheng last year.) But at the same time the MKVID would leave me in a more comfortable position money wise.

I'm also curious for your opinions if my voice would fit with a MKVID, so I've managed to fetch some old recording files from a project I did last year with my TLM 102, which I will add to this post. The chain was: TLM 102 - Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 into my computer. They are spoken in my native language (Norwegian) but I hope that it will be possible to read the tone of my voice out from it. Personally I would say it is in the middle, with a slight lean towards the lighter part of the voice spectrum. And some slight nasality here and there, but I wouldn't say it is in the extreme.

https://www.4shared.com/music/enM6RD...reference.html
Old 6 days ago
  #4428
Lives for gear
 

Warbler mkVI is actually "airier" than GZ67, or brighter if you will.
Yes, the first has the voicing switch, but that's basically an EQ on the mic itself.

For VO you'll likely only use cardioid BTW. Not in theory, but in practice.
Old 6 days ago
  #4429
Fen
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Warbler mkVI is actually "airier" than GZ67, or brighter if you will.
Yes, the first has the voicing switch, but that's basically an EQ on the mic itself.

For VO you'll likely only use cardioid BTW. Not in theory, but in practice.
Ah, right, I probably used the wrong term to describe what I heard. And yeah, I realise that cardioid is the norm usually for VO. But I find myself using my microphones for other purposes as well, so I figured that I could shell out the difference between the two models and just get the multipattern one. After all, it isn't that steep.
Old 4 days ago
  #4430
I did another recording with the 3U Audio GZ251Fet.
my mix could be better but just to share:

Disclaimer: It's in Korean.

https://youtu.be/Yo73lHAZwVI
Old 3 days ago
  #4431
CM100s - New Favorite OH & Hi Hat Mic

Finally got a chance to try the CM100s on OH with the cardioid capsules. Wow, they are definitely my new favorite OH mic. Here's what I'm hearing:

Using the CM100 (card) on OHs the cymbals sound very natural and detailed with depth and no weird overtones like some other mics I've used on OHs. The snare sounds snappy with lots of detail again. The toms sound round, natural and punchy and the kick is tight and punchy. Th hit hat is super tight with no mush and no clang (yea, i hate clang on hi hats). I've tried lots of other OH mics and these sound the way I usually would try and make the OHs sound AFTER EQ but without needing any EQ. They do everything they are supposed to do without adding any low mid mud or low end boom. This is not an easy task and they do it well. When you add your close mics in the mix with the all the proximity that they bring to the picture you suddenly realize that all your drum mics are working much better as a team and life is good. It's not just that the CM100s do a good job at their price point, it's that they sound nearly perfect for what I want for OHs at any price point. i will say that if your drums sound thin to begin with and your aren't using any close mics you may not be that excited but my Phattie Drums (yes that's the brand) have thin shells with plenty of bottom end and in this situation the CM100s are terrific.

Also, try the CM100 hyper capsule on hi hat and you will hear exactly what your hi hat sounds like from the drummers perspective. It's super natural, not bright and the snare rejection is really fantastic. i've been searching for a hit hat mic that sounds this natural with this much snare rejection for years. BTW, I'm also a drummer.

My assistant engineer is hearing basically what I'm hearing with these (he probably is gonna get a pair) and another producer who works at my studio loves them too to most of the same reasons and is interested in a pair. Also, several of my audio technology students are excited to get a pair as they start their mic collection. Just saying. :-)

Unfortunately now I realized that I'm gonna need more than 2 of these mics. I can't wait to hear the transformer versions. :-)
Old 1 day ago
  #4432
Gear Maniac
The omnis sounded good, for acoustic guitar would you Omni or cardioid? When are the transformer models being released?
Old 1 day ago
  #4433
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
The omnis sounded good, for acoustic guitar would you Omni or cardioid? When are the transformer models being released?
Guosheng told me the transformer models are supposed to be coming in a couple of months and that the capsules will work on both non-transformer and transformer bodies.

For acoustic guitar, I'm thinking cardioid for the relatively close recording and omni for recording the room.
Old 1 day ago
  #4434
Gear Maniac
Awesome, thanks dragonfly66.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump