The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Well and even on top of that, we then get into the whole realm of(and this is something I don't fully understand cause I am still learning) is.....

Tube VS FET

I mean if its 90% performance 10% technique, what warrants a purchase of an expensive a$$ tube mic that takes an hour to warm up vs a fet thats cheaper and works right away?

Or have I hit an exception?

When you find that "magical" mic (be it Tube or FET or even "gasp" Dynamic) that fits your vocal style like a glove and spits out glittery gold sprinkles all over your recordings you will understand what the fuss is all about.

Putting my producer cap on: Music is all about feel and if a mic makes you "feel" a certain way that others don't then everything down the chain will be affected by that.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
U89I is one of the most underrated, best mics on the planet. As is Beyerdynamic MC series.

The attractive thing about the 3u Mics is the price point. When they start getting around 1k, maybe there are other options. I know that is probably OT and a slightly inappropriate thing to say in this thread, but some balance is sometimes ok.

Hell, I loved Ragan's 414 tracks. Good enough for the Beatles and Wings stuff, and many others. C12a and earlier 414's rule on many things.

A great c414 can be had for $700.

Every once in a while, I put one up, and wonder why it gets overlooked?

Hell, that's where some of this OG microphone stuff started. The real deal.
I loved that pair of 414b-ULS. Great mics. I sold them because the Warblers gave me comparable performance (in my opinion) for less money. I have to be mercenary about my gear because I have a pretty limited budget. That's why I've loaded up on 3U stuff.

But yeah, those b-ULS's are awesome mics. I used them on a million things.
Old 14th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I loved that pair of 414b-ULS. Great mics. I sold them because the Warblers gave me comparable performance (in my opinion) for less money. I have to be mercenary about my gear because I have a pretty limited budget. That's why I've loaded up on 3U stuff.

But yeah, those b-ULS's are awesome mics. I used them on a million things.
Which microphone was it exactly that was comparable?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Shots View Post
Which microphone was it exactly that was comparable?
Well I replaced them with MKID's, which are U87 style mics so they're not the same design wise or sonically, they just offered an equally versatile and good sounding pair of LDCs to me.
Old 14th January 2017
Quote:
Well I replaced them with MKID's, which are style mics so they're not the same design wise or sonically, they just offered an equally versatile and good sounding pair of LDCs to me.
After owning both mics, if the 414 was the same price would you still choose the MKID?

Also do you know which is their best mic available?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Shots View Post
After owning both mics, if the 414 was the same price would you still choose the MKID?

Also do you know which is their best mic available?
That's a good question. I think now, having also a pair of GZ67Fet, I would probably choose the 414s, because they're more differently voiced than the GZ67s, but if it were just down to the MKID's or 414b-ULS's, to me it's a tossup.
Old 14th January 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
It has a tranny, though.

But yes, U89, TLM170 and 193 are fine, versatile mics.

@ ShadowAMD
Am I right that you have a TLM67 and an API EQ?
I've got a TLM 67 but I ran out of space in my house so the lunchbox with CAPI and API have gone. My chain now is Mic > WA2A > Daking pre-amp. Which does for me, I'm trying to keep things minimal if possible..
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 View Post
I've got a TLM 67 but I ran out of space in my house so the lunchbox with CAPI and API have gone. My chain now is Mic > WA2A > Daking pre-amp. Which does for me, I'm trying to keep things minimal if possible..
I asked because the the API EQ goes well with a U67. A hundred mics in one. Talk about keeping things minimal.
And you can have a U67 if you get the IOaudio kit for your TLM.

Anyway, let's get back to 3Uaudio mics.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
...A hundred mics in one. Talk about keeping things minimal.
And you can have a U67 if you get the IOaudio kit for your TLM...
You ain't kiddin'.
Old 14th January 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
I asked because the the API EQ goes well with a U67. A hundred mics in one. Talk about keeping things minimal.
And you can have a U67 if you get the IOaudio kit for your TLM.

Anyway, let's get back to 3Uaudio mics.
Thanks for that, I'll look into it..
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 Teal Matched Pair as Drum Overheads

I just received a matched pair of CM-1 Teal mics, and made a few recordings of them as drum overheads. The files can be heard here:

CM1Samples

I'm also going to record my Guild 12 string acoustic, and will post those files soon.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 Teal on 12 String Acoustic

I've just posted some demos using the CM-1 Teal matched pair in different configurations on a Guild 12 string acoustic guitar.

The files can be heard here:

CM1_12Strg_Demos
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Shipping

If anyone has any concerns about shipping, I can tell you that it is now very quick. Under 5 days from shipped notice to UPS at the door, China to East coast, USA.

Going to be shooting out the MKID, GZ251, and MKV on female vox.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

Strange Problem with CM-1 mics

I've been testing the CM-1 Teal pair that I recently received. A strange problem has cropped up and I'm wondering if any of you might be able to help diagnose it.

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface, with the Scarlett MixControl software. I had the two CM-1 mics plugged into channels 1 and 2, and recordings made with them sound fine. But I plugged in one of my tube mics into channel 3, and I noticed a low level buzz when I touch the mic stand, the cable that runs from the mic to the power supply and when I speak into the mic. The buzz disappears when I am not speaking into the mic. I recorded my voice, and the buzz does not record, but I hear it through my headphones. I noticed when I solo the tube mic in the MixControl software, the buzz disappears completely.

I unplugged the cables going to the CM-1 mics, and the buzz disappears. I tried different cables, but the buzz reappears whenever the CM-1 mics are plugged into the preamps, whether the phantom power is on or not. I tried other mics and the buzz is not there. I plugged the tube mic into an external preamp and sent that into a line in on the 18i20, and the buzz is still there.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany View Post
If anyone has any concerns about shipping, I can tell you that it is now very quick. Under 5 days from shipped notice to UPS at the door, China to East coast, USA.
I live in the mountains in Colorado, and they arrived in 6 days. When I order something from Amazon, they take 10 days to get it here from their warehouse in Phoenix, so I was pleasantly surprised at the quick delivery of the 3u Audio mics.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenleaf View Post
I've been testing the CM-1 Teal pair that I recently received. A strange problem has cropped up and I'm wondering if any of you might be able to help diagnose it.

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface, with the Scarlett MixControl software. I had the two CM-1 mics plugged into channels 1 and 2, and recordings made with them sound fine. But I plugged in one of my tube mics into channel 3, and I noticed a low level buzz when I touch the mic stand, the cable that runs from the mic to the power supply and when I speak into the mic. The buzz disappears when I am not speaking into the mic. I recorded my voice, and the buzz does not record, but I hear it through my headphones. I noticed when I solo the tube mic in the MixControl software, the buzz disappears completely.

I unplugged the cables going to the CM-1 mics, and the buzz disappears. I tried different cables, but the buzz reappears whenever the CM-1 mics are plugged into the preamps, whether the phantom power is on or not. I tried other mics and the buzz is not there. I plugged the tube mic into an external preamp and sent that into a line in on the 18i20, and the buzz is still there.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?
Does it only happen with a third mic? As in both cm-1's are quiet on their own, but add any third mic or line in and the buzz occurs?

You said the buzz is not recorded? Does that interface have a hardware monitoring feature? Sounds like a wiring/hardware issue, it has to be on the outputs of the interface since it's not recorded.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

Yes, it only happens when a third mic is added. The CM-1s are quiet on their own.

I am using the hardware monitoring on the interface, so I think you're right, but I don't understand why it only happens with the CM-1 mics, and none of my other mics.

I sent an email to Mr. Zhuang asking if he has any ideas what might be causing it.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, it only happens when a third mic is added. The CM-1s are quiet on their own.

I am using the hardware monitoring on the interface, so I think you're right, but I don't understand why it only happens with the CM-1 mics, and none of my other mics.

I sent an email to Mr. Zhuang asking if he has any ideas what might be causing it.
Are the bodies of the mics screwed tight?

Is the buzz only happening in the headphones, or the main outs as well?
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are the bodies of the mics screwed tight?

Is the buzz only happening in the headphones, or the main outs as well?
Yeah double check that the body tubes are screwed tight.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 caused buzz

The buzz is at both the two headphone outputs, and the monitor output, but doesn't make it into my DAW.

I tried a dynamic mic (Audix i5) instead of the tube mic - same issue. No buzz when the CM-1 cables are unplugged, buzz when they are plugged into the preamps. I used a different cable that I know to be good.

I keep some of my drum mics connected to the 18i20 and I don't have any buzz from those mics being plugged into the preamps.

I slipped the bodies of the CM-1s off and used a multi-meter to check for continuity in the wiring from the XLR jack to the connector on the circuit board, and everything checks out OK. Bodies are on tight. Buzz is still there.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Same experience coming to Calgary, Canada. Very fast!
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The buzz is at both the two headphone outputs, and the monitor output, but doesn't make it into my DAW.

I tried a dynamic mic (Audix i5) instead of the tube mic - same issue. No buzz when the CM-1 cables are unplugged, buzz when they are plugged into the preamps. I used a different cable that I know to be good.

I keep some of my drum mics connected to the 18i20 and I don't have any buzz from those mics being plugged into the preamps.

I slipped the bodies of the CM-1s off and used a multi-meter to check for continuity in the wiring from the XLR jack to the connector on the circuit board, and everything checks out OK. Bodies are on tight. Buzz is still there.
Very strange indeed!

Guosheng will get it straightened out one way or another. He always resolves any issues in my experience.

Once I was having some strange behavior with a tambourine recording and he ordered a similar tambourine to test it out there.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

Once I was having some strange behavior with a tambourine recording and he ordered a similar tambourine to test it out there.
Now that is awesome. That's enough right there to make me want to support this guy.

Ragan, do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion of an MK or GZ series mic that would be a good complement to a Miktek CV4? In other words, I'm looking to expand my mic locker with different flavors to cover different singers (acoustic/Americana/bluegrass/alt-country, male and female). I know the Miktek is its own thing, but having some significantly different flavors would be a great thing. Other mics currently doing vocal duties here are Shure KSM 32 & 27 and CAD E100s.

Cheers.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezn8r View Post
Now that is awesome. That's enough right there to make me want to support this guy.

Ragan, do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion of an MK or GZ series mic that would be a good complement to a Miktek CV4? In other words, I'm looking to expand my mic locker with different flavors to cover different singers (acoustic/Americana/bluegrass/alt-country, male and female). I know the Miktek is its own thing, but having some significantly different flavors would be a great thing. Other mics currently doing vocal duties here are Shure KSM 32 & 27 and CAD E100s.

Cheers.
The CV4 is firmly in the bright/airy category so I'd say if you're looking for a foil to that sound, something like the MKID or the GZ67 could be the ticket. You could also look at the 47 style 3U offerings. I'm sure they're great, I just don't have personal experience with them so I can't really say much about them.

For reference, I shot out the KSM32 (which I think is really solid mic) and the GZ67 and they weren't that far off from one another in general voicing, but the GZ67 seemed to be doing everything the KSM32 was doing, better. Smoother, more detail, etc. But not that different in terms of general voicing.

Been a long time since I used a KSM27 or e100 so I don't have much relevant to offer there.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
The CV4 is firmly in the bright/airy category so I'd say if you're looking for a foil to that sound, something like the MKID or the GZ67 could be the ticket. You could also look at the 47 style 3U offerings. I'm sure they're great, I just don't have personal experience with them so I can't really say much about them.
Very helpful, Ragan. Much appreciated.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaier View Post
Same experience coming to Calgary, Canada. Very fast!
How long did it take?
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 Teal Pair on Mahogany 6 String Acoustic Guitar

I posted some demos of the CM-1 Teal pair in various stereo configurations on a mahogany top, back and sides 6 string acoustic guitar.

The files can be heard here:

CM1_6Strg_Demos

Last edited by aspenleaf; 17th January 2017 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Fix link
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Aspenleaf, are these supposed to be web links to the recordings? It's not showing as a link I can go listen to.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Aspenleaf, are these supposed to be web links to the recordings? It's not showing as a link I can go listen to.
Sorry - I just fixed the link.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

CM-1 caused buzz audio file

I was able to record the buzz caused by my CM-1s by routing the signal from my headphone out to my DAW. You may have to use headphones to hear it, as it's a low level.

The right channel has the buzz, the left channel is a tube mic. The buzz is coming from the channel that one of the CM-1 mics is plugged into. The phantom power is not on, so the CM-1 is not picking up any signal, and the buzz is not on the channel the tube mic is on. I didn't realize that yesterday when I first noticed the problem.

You can hear the file here:

CM1_Buzz
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search