The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 16th May 2016
Here for the gear

I'm currenlty looking to buy a 3u Audio LDC that will be fairly multipurpose. At the moment, in terms of mics, I have:

Sm7b
Md421
Oktava Mk012
D112
Sm57
No Hype Audio LRM-1 x 2
Collection of Samson mics that go on toms/snare bottom
Lewitt Lct 240

I'm currently looking between a the MkId or the MkVId. Both sound great, my only worry would be that the MkVId might be too bright. I'm currently using the 7b as my main vocal mic but would like to have another options for vocals. Other plans for it would be a drum room mic and for recording acoustic guitar.

Any recommendations from people that may have access to both?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 16th May 2016
Talking about mics with numbers in the name. Has anyone other than Shure done one with 57 in the name? Waaa do they own the number?
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderjazz View Post
I'm currenlty looking to buy a 3u Audio LDC that will be fairly multipurpose. At the moment, in terms of mics, I have:

Sm7b
Md421
Oktava Mk012
D112
Sm57
No Hype Audio LRM-1 x 2
Lewitt Lct 240

I'm currently looking between a the MkId or the MkVId. Both sound great, my only worry would be that the MkVId might be too bright. I'm currently using the 7b as my main vocal mic but would like to have another options for vocals. Other plans for it would be a drum room mic and for recording acoustic guitar.

I have an opinion, but unfortunately I don't have access to either, let alone both.
Old 16th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderjazz View Post

Sm7b
Md421
Oktava Mk012
D112
Sm57
No Hype Audio LRM-1 x 2
Lewitt Lct 240

Hi Spiderjazz!
I have a mkvid and it is not super bright - to me it would not really approach a bright Chinese cap mic at all - in fact I would be afraid to buy a mk1 - after hearing the vi! The 6 is really nice!
Old 18th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Has anyone in this thread used a Seventh Circle Audio N72 Pre-amp with their 3U mic? I am really curious how it would match with my warbler 6. I have read that it is an amazing pre amp for vocals. It comes assembled with a chassis for 600$ which is not bad considering some of the comparisons to the actual neve 1073. I am looking to add some weight/color/thicken things up a bit and it seems like this thing would be the beast to do that.
Yes, I'm using a 3U Audio Warbler MK IV D with a Seventh Circle Audio N72 as my main channel right now in my humble home project studio. I bought the N72 pre-built from SCA in the one-shot chassis.

I recently switched from owning primarily good quality live gear that could double as Low End Theory-approved budget studio stuff, to selling all my live gear and focusing on higher quality/fewer channels for the home studio. So I don't have a lot of reference points to add to this fantastic conversation. But I can say I am very, very pleased right now with that combination.

Some time ago I decided I needed to upgrade from an AKG C214 and Focusrite ISA One preamp. The C214 is transformerless, and the ISA One has one high-quality Lundahl transformer, but is generally pretty clean with only some color.

The 3U Warbler IV D and the SCA N72 were each big, noticeable improvements (more so the AKG to 3U frankly, than the ISA One to N72), for essentially a wash money-wise. I think 3U and SCA, as companies, are absolute ringers in the price-to-performance game (high-quality internal parts used, direct from manufacturer, no middle-man retail markup, this is hugely important to me). My next big gear purchase will be a GZ series mic, just can't decide which.
Old 18th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Yes, I'm using a 3U Audio Warbler MK IV D with a Seventh Circle Audio N72 as my main channel right now in my humble home project studio. I bought the N72 pre-built from SCA in the one-shot chassis.

I recently switched from owning primarily good quality live gear that could double as Low End Theory-approved budget studio stuff, to selling all my live gear and focusing on higher quality/fewer channels for the home studio. So I don't have a lot of reference points to add to this fantastic conversation. But I can say I am very, very pleased right now with that combination.

Some time ago I decided I needed to upgrade from an AKG C214 and Focusrite ISA One preamp. The C214 is transformerless, and the ISA One has one high-quality Lundahl transformer, but is generally pretty clean with only some color.

The 3U Warbler IV D and the SCA N72 were each big, noticeable improvements (more so the AKG to 3U frankly, than the ISA One to N72), for essentially a wash money-wise. I think 3U and SCA, as companies, are absolute ringers in the price-to-performance game (high-quality internal parts used, direct from manufacturer, no middle-man retail markup, this is hugely important to me). My next big gear purchase will be a GZ series mic, just can't decide which.
Would you say it thickened things up/added weight? My biggest thing is I am trying to add some color and weight to my voice. It's slightly on the thinner side and the warbler 6 is a modern sounding bright mic and it's just a tad too bright((IMO) even on it's darkest setting but I will say it is no way harsh. It's a very nice microphone.

But I get some general impressions from some other folks that for what I am trying to do with the modern hip hop sound, the warbler 1 might muddy things up a bit too much(for my voice) it's certainly usable but I think would require more EQ work etc.

I have thought about getting a GZ series mic as well. Do you think the n72 mic pre would give me the sound I am looking for?
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Nut

MKIV vs MJE Fatboy

Well, I got our vocalist to do a quick take of a verse/hook on a new song we are working on. It's not the best take but he just thought it was a scratch track or else we probably would have redone it 10 times if he knew it was going on the internet.

Anyways, here is a Warbler IV vs a Michael Joly Fatboy

Both mics are the same take, running into a Focusrite Forte with no processing. They were both normalized after the take and had the same gain when recorded and looked to be the same levels.
Attached Files

zzzMJEFatboy.mp3 (1.55 MB, 3698 views)

zzzWarblerIV.mp3 (1.55 MB, 3653 views)

Old 19th May 2016
SEED78
Got my GZ47fetV today - have to say, the build quality feels really good, a lot heavier and chunky feeling than I thought.

Will test the mic at the weekend.
Old 19th May 2016
MYN
Gear Addict

Quote:
Would you say it thickened things up/added weight? My biggest thing is I am trying to add some color and weight to my voice. It's slightly on the thinner side and the warbler 6 is a modern sounding bright mic and it's just a tad too bright((IMO) even on it's darkest setting but I will say it is no way harsh. It's a very nice microphone.

But I get some general impressions from some other folks that for what I am trying to do with the modern hip hop sound, the warbler 1 might muddy things up a bit too much(for my voice) it's certainly usable but I think would require more EQ work etc.

I have thought about getting a GZ series mic as well. Do you think the n72 mic pre would give me the sound I am looking for?
Yo man. As it turns out I just received a SCA N72, also in the one shot chassis, and with my GZ251 and GZ67 in the booth it definitely adds some serious, and very mellifluous girth. I had been using the UAD Neve 1073 unison pre, which I think sounds great but the N72 has more articulation (less smeary in the low mids), a touch more bottom end and sounds a bit punchier in a modern way. Since I do VO and you do hip hop, that more articulate tone I was looking for by upgrading to an N72 over the UAD is probably what you're looking for as well.

Given the vintage tonal leanings of the 3U stuff, the Neve-ish sound really works with these mics and makes them sound huge. IMHO, it's a pretty awesome marriage of mic and pre.
Old 19th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
Yo man. As it turns out I just received a SCA N72, also in the one shot chassis, and with my GZ251 and GZ67 in the booth it definitely adds some serious, and very mellifluous girth. I had been using the UAD Neve 1073 unison pre, which I think sounds great but the N72 has more articulation (less smeary in the low mids), a touch more bottom end and sounds a bit punchier in a modern way. Since I do VO and you do hip hop, that more articulate tone I was looking for by upgrading to an N72 over the UAD is probably what you're looking for as well.

Given the vintage tonal leanings of the 3U stuff, the Neve-ish sound really works with these mics and makes them sound huge. IMHO, it's a pretty awesome marriage of mic and pre.
Thats great. I almost impulse bought a golden age 73 but I think I am gonna save up my pennies and buy a n72. So you think even with my warbler 6 being on that brighter tip(overall) in comparison to say a warbler 1 etc, you think it will give me that color and weight I need for my somewhat thinner voice?

What I love about the warbler 6 is whenever I tend to get very lyrical or even rap fast(overall just very technical rapping) it picks up all the small fine details which I love!! It's just that my recordings tend to be on the more airy/lighter side of things just given my voice + I run a mackie blackjack usb interface which gives great clean gain but its def not colored in any way haha.
Old 19th May 2016
MYN
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thats great. I almost impulse bought a golden age 73 but I think I am gonna save up my pennies and buy a n72. So you think even with my warbler 6 being on that brighter tip(overall) in comparison to say a warbler 1 etc, you think it will give me that color and weight I need for my somewhat thinner voice?

What I love about the warbler 6 is whenever I tend to get very lyrical or even rap fast(overall just very technical rapping) it picks up all the small fine details which I love!! It's just that my recordings tend to be on the more airy/lighter side of things just given my voice + I run a mackie blackjack usb interface which gives great clean gain but its def not colored in any way haha.
Yes, I think going with a Neve-ish pre, with all the lovely harmonic content you get from driving those Carnhills, will definitely give you color and weight, or in essence, lend more authority to your tone.
Old 19th May 2016
Quote:
Yes, I think going with a Neve-ish pre, with all the lovely harmonic content you get from driving those Carnhills, will definitely give you color and weight, or in essence, lend more authority to your tone.
Awesome. I got one last question for you regarding bypassing the Mackie Blackjack. Ive read online that you cannot truly bypass but that it doesnt make much of a difference because of how high quality the a/d converters are. I have a thread about this and it seems possible but it would be helpful if you could confirm or deny this based on the information given in this thread. I dont know a ton about hooking up pre-amps etc.

This thread is about hooking up a golden age pre 73 to a mackie blackjack but I assume the same would apply to the n72. Does the information given in this thread seem accurate?

Connecting external Mic Pre to an interface
Old 19th May 2016
MYN
Gear Addict

Quote:
Awesome. I got one last question for you regarding bypassing the Mackie Blackjack. Ive read online that you cannot truly bypass but that it doesnt make much of a difference because of how high quality the a/d converters are. I have a thread about this and it seems possible but it would be helpful if you could confirm or deny this based on the information given in this thread. I dont know a ton about hooking up pre-amps etc.

This thread is about hooking up a golden age pre 73 to a mackie blackjack but I assume the same would apply to the n72. Does the information given in this thread seem accurate?

Connecting external Mic Pre to an interface
Yeah that sounds about right. The only difference is the preamp in reference. Should work exactly the same as described in that thread.
Old 19th May 2016
Quote:
Yeah that sounds about right. The only difference is the preamp in reference. Should work exactly the same as described in that thread.
N72 it is. Fantastic. I appreciate your input/feedback & help.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Nut

Would anybody be interested in trading a warbler 6 for an mk1? Figured I'd check here before buying one and selling my mk1.
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

Just checked out the U87 vintage vs the Warbler mk1. Great shootout and you can hear the difference. The U87 had a touch more low end and top end sizzle the warbler had a more defined and solid midrange and a less sizzley top end which was also clear, that I preferred. I did like the U87 low end better. But putting a pultec eq brought out the top and low end, not quite the same but still good. Now I wonder if the other versions of the warblers would have that low end. Ragan , will you be doing a U87 test down the road? would love to hear your shootout. Again the warbler being the price as is holds it own and sounds different as to be not a clone. I think these warblers rock !

Last edited by ARIEL; 20th May 2016 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Just chekced out the U87 vintage vs the Warbler mk1. Great shootout and you can hear the difference. The U87 had a touch more low end and top end sizzle the warbler had a more difined and solid midrange and a less sizzley top end which was also clear that I prefered. I did like the U87 low end better. But putting a pultec eq brought out the top and low end, not quite the same but still good. Now I wonder if the other versions of the warblers would have that low end. Ragan , will you be doing a U87 test down the road? would love to hear your shootout. Again the warbler being the price as is holds it own and sounds different as to be not a clone. I thunk these warblers rock !
Where is that shootout please? I just got monitors going this week after being down for a while and I can't find any compelling comparisons on just pure vocals. I'd love to hear more samples of pure vocals with the warblers vs anything.
Old 20th May 2016

I believe he's referring to the drum clips a few pages back.
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Blue Kiwi - some help needed (vs 3u Audio and others)

Having a bit of gear-itis strike this week with a VO friend suggesting i should look at a Blue Kiwi. I've been down this rabbit hole before and wondered if i could get some perspective relative to what I already own and whether the Kiwi would be uniquely worth having. I'm a longtime voice talent. I have the GZ47fet and Warbler VI. How's the Kiwi compare... radically different in any way?

Sidenote, as for LDCs I have a large collection ... TLM103, Senn 416 (required by VO law) Lesser-used... a Peluso 2247... Miktek C7 ... great mics all...
Actually a CAD E100s has been getting more use in my second studio for awhile too. And a TLM 67 ... it's been boxed for quite awhile... not a go-to for VO IMO.

OTOH in past experience on the Blue Kiwi in other studios, really had a certain 'something' i can't describe that resonated nicely 'in the pocket w/ my voice.

So all this said.. if i were either into liquidating some of these -- any thoughts on how a Kiwi could be a good investment (esp if i have a nice deal on a gently used one locally...) Any good A/B comparisons of Kiwi to the Warbler or other 3U stuff? Couldn't readily find anything.

Thanks!

Mike in MIch
Old 20th May 2016
While I have never used the KIWI personally, I'm sure it's gonna be a stellar mic. Most the blue mics are pretty fantastic overall. I like the fact they are manufactured in the united states. Quality parts. But not to bash 3u in anyway. For the price, 3u blows the competition outta the water. I am an owner of a warbler 6 as well and I love it!
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
While I have never used the KIWI personally, I'm sure it's gonna be a stellar mic. Most the blue mics are pretty fantastic overall. I like the fact they are manufactured in the united states. Quality parts. But not to bash 3u in anyway. For the price, 3u blows the competition outta the water. I am an owner of a warbler 6 as well and I love it!
The lower priced Blue mics (like the Baby Bottle) are made in China. Originally they were made in Latvia.

I like them too. I've used a Kiwi but it was too long ago for me to have anything to add. Sounded good though.
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
I believe he's referring to the drum clips a few pages back.
Thanks,. I'm really hoping for more vocal examples before I buy a cad audio trion 8000 which I adore.
Old 21st May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
The lower priced Blue mics (like the Baby Bottle) are made in China. Originally they were made in Latvia.

I like them too. I've used a Kiwi but it was too long ago for me to have anything to add. Sounded good though.
Thanks, yeah this has sounded good for me in another studio a couple of times (Kiwi) - i would love to hear it A/B'ed against the Warbler VI, and Miktek c7e.
I find the c7e has a great forward presence - good for VO - but there is a color to the Kiwi that seems it would be warmer without losing that mid range presence(bright but not harshly so) - that seems to best compliment my VOs..
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

The GZ251fet sounds so much better to me than the Warbler IV from the clips I heard (more so than GZ67fet to Warbler I)!

Does anybody has experiences with both? Is it worth the money?
I am thinking of buying a pair...
Old 22nd May 2016
MYN
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
The GZ251fet sounds so much better to me than the Warbler IV from the clips I heard (more so than GZ67fet to Warbler I)!

Does anybody has experiences with both? Is it worth the money?
I am thinking of buying a pair...
Hey Doc!
I've had the pleasure of owning both. The Warbler IV is an amazing mic. I thought it was the best sounding mic on my voice that I'd ever heard. But, the GZ251 has more articulation and more of a 3D quality. It takes what the IV does so well and just goes that extra mile. I use it every day as my main axe. In short, they're gonna have to pry my GZ251 out of my cold, dead fingers someday.
Old 22nd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshep View Post
Any good A/B comparisons of Kiwi to the Warbler or other 3U stuff? Couldn't readily find anything.

Thanks!

Mike in MIch
I don't have any direct experience with the Kiwi, though I did do a shootout with the Warbler 1 and 4 (and teal) with a BLUE Reactor (which BLUE says they made to sound like the Kiwi), you can see the shootout here:

The Reactor (and others) is here:
Hybrid Blind Mic Shootout

And the Warbler files are here:
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings

I'm sorry it is spread across 2 threads, but all takes were done in the same session. I hope that helps!
Old 22nd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Can anyone with a better memory than me rem which shock mount is best for a GZ mic? Something I can grab off Amazon with vouchers, or eBay is cool too.

Samson sp01 or something else?
The Samson SP01 will fit the threads for the Warbler and GZ mics, if you don't get a cheaper clamp-style mount I'd recommend the Samson..
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Ok, thanks for the info MYN!
Like I thought...
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've had the pleasure of owning both.
Do you have samples of your voice with both mics?? That would be great! You can pm me if its better for you.
Old 22nd May 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by downrazor11 View Post
The Samson SP01 will fit the threads for the Warbler and GZ mics, if you don't get a cheaper clamp-style mount I'd recommend the Samson..
I ended up getting this one that was also mentioned. Will try the Samson if I don't like it.
100% NEW Universal Pro Microphone Shock Mount For Large Diameter Condenser Mic | eBay
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search