The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good Affordable Vintage Analog Mixer
Old 25th March 2015
Here for the gear

Good Affordable Vintage Analog Mixer

Hello! I'm building a home studio.

Can you anyone recommend a good affordable analog vintage mixer? A friend of mine has an Alice 828 but they are hard to find. I've been eye'ing a Tascam M35 or Soundcraft 200. I only need an 8 channel mixer, 12 channels max. So it would have to be small form. My budget is in the $500 to $1000 range. I'm aiming for something with character and something that will help me get that 70s or 80s sound.

Thank you!!!
Old 27th March 2015
Tascam is an excellent value. Sometimes you can find an old A&H as well.

I run an M2516. I saw an M2524 right in your budget recently, but that's what we'd call a 32-channel board by today's standards.

Older Tascams are where it's at in my opinion. They have really nice preamps.
Old 6th April 2015
TAC Bullet. 'nuff said. You'll be wearing a headband and throwing on acid-wash jeans in no time!
Old 6th April 2015
Gear Guru

Tascam M2600. Surprisingly great sounding mixer on a low budget. Even compared to the 25xx series in my opinion, and much better channel eq.
Old 6th April 2015
Lives for gear
A&H Wizard board.

D
Old 6th April 2015
Lives for gear

Old soundcraft modded (and some even not modded, like the 8000) sounds great.. not forcely in a "vintage" way..
old soundcraft series2 (from the 70ies, not the 90ies) will do.. but will definitely need a recap if not already done..

If you want that '70ies mood in a clean way a revox c279 will fit the description.. but it's not cheap and it's 6 channel, although every input is also a stereo input..so depends on the needs..

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 7th April 2015 at 06:46 AM..
Old 6th April 2015
Gear Addict

There a some great old Allen and Heath boards. I second the Soundcraft recommendation. Some of the Studiomasters could sound OK but some had reliability issues (switches in particular). Some of the Ramsas are excellent and for some reason bargain priced. Anything will need a re-cap to sound its best.
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Addict

I've got a Soundcraft 800b that was recently completely recapped including the power supply. It's in really nice shape and in your price range. It sounds like it might be bigger than what you're looking for though.. It's 32 channels.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear
There was a m2516 in boston for sale for a while. I gave up trying to find a good affordable vintage mixer because they all need work even when they say every channel is fine. Most of the soundcrafts that are decent are in the 1k range. I'm eyeing a toft for my new analog setup. I have a Tascam 216 in the Boston area you can have.
Old 8th April 2015
Gear Nut

Sony mxp-390
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

old thread & not sure if youre still looking... depending on your need to stay at +4dBv to work correctly with your outboard, interface, pro tape machine (if you have or plan to get one), i would stat away from Tascam or anything marketed at the prosumer level. I would stick with vintage Soundcraft, Sony, Ramsa\Panasonic, Yamaha (PM Series are excellent transformer balanced boards) TAC, Soundtracs in the budget realm with pro features. hope that helps!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search