The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP880 (the new one) Hands On Experience? Audio Interfaces
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonzthro View Post
One thing that is really great about this unit is all 8 channels have separate mic (on the XLR - obviously) and line in inputs (on the XLR and the Dsub) so you effectively have 16 inputs on this and just switch between d-sub line or mic. If you have lots of outboard gear you want wired in all the time, this feature is huge!
that's a really good point
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

A question about the direct access to ASP880 A/D converters - is this the sort cable I need to do that:
Avid DB25 - XLRf Digisnake 4 - Thomann UK

Do I understand it correctly that the line inputs on the XLR/TRS combos, does not bypass the ASP880 preamps?

::
Mads
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
A question about the direct access to ASP880 A/D converters - is this the sort cable I need to do that:
Avid DB25 - XLRf Digisnake 4 - Thomann UK

Do I understand it correctly that the line inputs on the XLR/TRS combos, does not bypass the ASP880 preamps?

Mads

I think you would want this (or equivalent)
Cordial CFD 3 DFT - Thomann UK

Tascam wiring.

I think you need to use the DB25 connector to bypass the preamps, yes.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I think you would want this (or equivalent)
Cordial CFD 3 DFT - Thomann UK

Tascam wiring.

I think you need to use the DB25 connector to bypass the preamps, yes.
Thanks dlmorley - Harry are you there, can you confirm?

Can I use both (prefer a shorter cable than the Cordial comes with) so for me the Avid DB25 would be better, but first of all it need to work

Any recommendations - on shorter quality compatible cables - would be very nice!

Mads
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks dlmorley - Harry are you there, can you confirm?

Can I use both (prefer a shorter cable than the Cordial comes with) so for me the Avid DB25 would be better, but first of all it need to work

Any recommendations - on shorter quality compatible cables - would be very nice!

Mads
Hi Mads,

Sent you a private message regarding this but for the benefit of others reading this, so long as it is Tascam wiring you will be fine. Looking at the link to the Avid one, I am struggling to see whether it is Tascam wired or not so I would go for the Cordial one to be sure, or get in touch with Thomann and have them confirm.

Cheers
Harry
Old 14th June 2016
Here for the gear
I have been using the id22 with the asp 880 since its release. I bought it on the idea of its transparency yet warm and smooth and also clear, I dont know how it works , but it just does for me. Coming from the analogue domain, the combination of Audient and Harrisons Mixbus made me leave most of my previous gear behind. I get the sound I want and like in a fraction of the time with much better workflow. The sound of the setup functioning smoothly means I get to spend my mental juices picking microphones to the sources. I mainly record Jazz improvisation and world music, but not limited too. Ive had various great sounding desks which I enjoyed, comparatively the Audients seem to work on everything. I Bought a Sontronics Sonora Dual channel which gives me that ballsy, almost about to burst yet never quite distorts sound to compliment the Audients, however Ive discovered I prefer using it on the final mix. If anything else just a good vocal strip or a compressor of ones liking, however Ive done a lot of nice recordings with just good mics and the Audient pres.

Im happy

Shadow Tracker
Old 14th June 2016
Here for the gear
Forgot to mention, there is enough gain for ribbon mics and mics like the SM7b, I generally keep the impedance on the high setting and dial it up to at least 3 o'clock , it gets a little touchy up there as thats where a lot of the gain happens, I got used to it pretty quick, and it stays clean...!

Hope you enjoyed the read
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

Clack issues ASP880 into TC Studiokonnekt48

Had trouble today using my ASP880 into my TC Studiokonnekt 48 via ADAT.
TC indicated that the clock was working, I was recording at 96kHz using both adat cables.

I took me some time to realize what the problem was (I was out on a remote recording job in a church) and I really had trouble - and it more or less ruined the job. I tried all I could, checked microphones and cables, changing adat cables (had a spare-pair with me) did the same with firewire - and so on - with time ticking and people waiting - not funny.

It was first when I tried to record at good old 44,1 that everything worked as expected. It was a tuff one, and I can't say I was as happy as I've been until now for my ASP880.

I'm writing here because I know there has been issues with other interfaces (Apollo) and I really need a solution. Harry are you still with us on this thread?

Mads
Old 17th June 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Had trouble today using my ASP880 into my TC Studiokonnekt 48 via ADAT.
TC indicated that the clock was working, I was recording at 96kHz using both adat cables.

I took me some time to realize what the problem was (I was out on a remote recording job in a church) and I really had trouble - and it more or less ruined the job. I tried all I could, checked microphones and cables, changing adat cables (had a spare-pair with me) did the same with firewire - and so on - with time ticking and people waiting - not funny.

It was first when I tried to record at good old 44,1 that everything worked as expected. It was a tuff one, and I can't say I was as happy as I've been until now for my ASP880.

I'm writing here because I know there has been issues with other interfaces (Apollo) and I really need a solution. Harry are you still with us on this thread?

Mads
Are you syncing over ADAT? I know it should theoretically work fine (and perhaps I'm missing something), but I always have small problems when syncing ADAT at rates over 44.1. If you want to run at 96, get a BNC cable and sync via word clock. Give it a try at least, cables are cheap.
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylantern View Post
Are you syncing over ADAT? I know it should theoretically work fine (and perhaps I'm missing something), but I always have small problems when syncing ADAT at rates over 44.1. If you want to run at 96, get a BNC cable and sync via word clock. Give it a try at least, cables are cheap.
Yes I'm syncing via adat - I'll try your suggestion as soon as I find a cable (should have some somewhere). Are your problems the typical click-pop issues, even if understand that they're small?

In the meantime I've found out that if I use only the first four inputs on the ASP880 everything works fine (it seems) - engaging 5-8, trouble begins.

Mads
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Audient ASP880 on 96kHz via adat - clock issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylantern View Post
If you want to run at 96, get a BNC cable and sync via word clock. Give it a try at least, cables are cheap.
I did this and it worked ;-> (thanks for the tip skylantern)

But this also means that my TC interface is master-clock. This may be just fine, but I wonder why ASP880 wasn't able to be master (even if it's via adat, which it is made to support fully). I can't help thinking that there might be a problem with the ASP880 clock somehow.

My observations are clear: If I use ASP880 as master on 96kHz it works fine when I use first four channels. As soon as the fifth channel is engaged the trouble begins, clicks and pops arise and other strange noise artifacts interferes with the sound. If I record at 44,1 all channels work without issues.

I hope Audient will comment about what can be the technical reasons for these issues, and how to fix it - I'm sure this can be an interesting read for all who use ASP880 and everyone who considers going for Audient interfaces.

I want to emphasize that I really like this interface, the fine sound-quality and all, I just want to get possible technical issues fixed

Mads
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did this and it worked ;-> (thanks for the tip skylantern)

But this also means that my TC interface is master-clock. This may be just fine, but I wonder why ASP880 wasn't able to be master (even if it's via adat, which it is made to support fully). I can't help thinking that there might be a problem with the ASP880 clock somehow.

My observations are clear: If I use ASP880 as master on 96kHz it works fine when I use first four channels. As soon as the fifth channel is engaged the trouble begins, clicks and pops arise and other strange noise artifacts interferes with the sound. If I record at 44,1 all channels work without issues.

I hope Audient will comment about what can be the technical reasons for these issues, and how to fix it - I'm sure this can be an interesting read for all who use ASP880 and everyone who considers going for Audient interfaces.

I want to emphasize that I really like this interface, the fine sound-quality and all, I just want to get possible technical issues fixed

Mads
Hello mads,

I have dropped you a PM but I just wanted to keep everyone else in the loop.

Firstly, I would always check your setup. Try new cables ,if you have any to hand, and make sure that the ADAT leads are properly seated into the ADAT ports at both ends. With optical connections, the cable only have to be slightly off for the connection to become flakey. I would also double check all your sample rates and clocking settings to make sure you only have one Master clock in your setup and everything else is slaving off this master clock. However, if everything seems to be in order then we can shift our attention across to the ASP880 itself.

In the early days of the ASP880's production there was a firmware update applied to resolve clocking issues that a very small number of users were having. All new ASP880's were built with the new firmware already installed but a small number of ASP880s that were already built were manually updated to the latest version.

If your ASP880 was one of the small number of manually updated ASP880s then it could be that the firmware update wasn't applied correctly for some reason. If you are able to PM us your ASP880's serial number then we can check it against our serial logs and see if this is a possibility. We can then look at resolving this for you.

As always, if anyone has any issues with an Audient product, I would reccomend you get in touch with us directly at [email protected] and we will do what we can to help you out.

Thanks,

Daniel @ Audient UK
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello mads,

I have dropped you a PM but I just wanted to keep everyone else in the loop.

Firstly, I would always check your setup. Try new cables ,if you have any to hand, and make sure that the ADAT leads are properly seated into the ADAT ports at both ends. With optical connections, the cable only have to be slightly off for the connection to become flakey. I would also double check all your sample rates and clocking settings to make sure you only have one Master clock in your setup and everything else is slaving off this master clock. However, if everything seems to be in order then we can shift our attention across to the ASP880 itself.

In the early days of the ASP880's production there was a firmware update applied to resolve clocking issues that a very small number of users were having. All new ASP880's were built with the new firmware already installed but a small number of ASP880s that were already built were manually updated to the latest version.

If your ASP880 was one of the small number of manually updated ASP880s then it could be that the firmware update wasn't applied correctly for some reason. If you are able to PM us your ASP880's serial number then we can check it against our serial logs and see if this is a possibility. We can then look at resolving this for you.

As always, if anyone has any issues with an Audient product, I would reccomend you get in touch with us directly at [email protected] and we will do what we can to help you out.

Thanks,

Daniel @ Audient UK
Hello Daniel

Yes I got your PM and replied with my serial-number earlier today - looking forward to your findings. And just for the record - Yes I did all the checks above, even switching all digital cables.

Mads
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

So. Things are not going well with the ASP880. Has anyone had gain issues? As I turn the gain knob from left to right, there is little to no gain change until I pass "12 o clock". After that pint there is a huge jump and some crackling. This happens on all channels. Any ideas?
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
So. Things are not going well with the ASP880. Has anyone had gain issues? As I turn the gain knob from left to right, there is little to no gain change until I pass "12 o clock". After that pint there is a huge jump and some crackling. This happens on all channels. Any ideas?
Hi There!

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your ASP880! Could you please email our army of geeks? [email protected] and attach a video of the issue? We would love to help you get to the bottom of this issue very quickly!

Have a great day,

Audient Technical Support
Old 6th February 2018
This preamp looks like a nice design, im a fan of the Class-A pre sound, hopefully can find one used around the forums or on ebay! ill run into a Yamaha mixer.
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Head

It looks like Audient has a new product coming out too. The ID44. It looks like it doubles the capabilities of the ID22. I'm interested...
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooten View Post
It looks like Audient has a new product coming out too. The ID44. It looks like it doubles the capabilities of the ID22. I'm interested...
I sort of find the iD44 irresistible.

USB-C, mega digital I/O, monitor control, etc. Next gen audio specs. It just looks so good.

I'd like to add one to my collection, hahaha.
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Head
Do the line input bypass the pre amps?
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidez View Post
Do the line input bypass the pre amps?
Yes, you can bypass the preamp.
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post

USB-C, mega digital I/O, monitor control, etc. Next gen audio specs. It just looks so good.

I WILL be getting one for my new rig. Initially, it was the Apollo Twin MkII, then the Discrete 4 came out and it was that, now Audient has announced the iD44, and this definitely takes the cake! Unless someone releases an interface that trumps it, I'll be getting this unit as soon as it launches.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Yep, saving my pennies too. I would like to see it production for a little while too. They don't specifically say Burr-Brown converters in any of the ads for it either...
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
I WILL be getting one for my new rig. Initially, it was the Apollo Twin MkII, then the Discrete 4 came out and it was that, now Audient has announced the iD44, and this definitely takes the cake! Unless someone releases an interface that trumps it, I'll be getting this unit as soon as it launches.
I believe that audio companies start to understand the importance of workflow, especially when tracking.

Digital submenus and always having the mouse in the hand is not really a fast and intuitive solution when tracking..
you might want to rout something quick, to hpf on the fly to turn intuitively the gain knob a lil bit.

Digital world is very practical, efficient and you could put every function you want into it and be recallable.. that's fantastic of course, but that's a reason why an analog console is SO MUCH MORE practical to use when tracking (and I'm not speaking about sound quality, colouration, etc).. plus zero latency monitoring that digital can't do (and never will, although below 2-3 milliseconds latency is a non issue).

I hope more manufacturers will come out with real buttons and switches, hell even dedicated encoders, controlling analog stages on their interfaces and less mouse clicks. So much faster.. you could always put out ipad apps to control some features..like the 2400 audio people did on their imperium monitor controller.. very clever!

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 12th February 2018 at 04:10 PM..
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooten View Post
Yep, saving my pennies too. I would like to see it production for a little while too. They don't specifically say Burr-Brown converters in any of the ads for it either...

They said on their Facebook page
That this one doesn’t come with burr brown converters. They didn’t say what but it is something different/better?
Old 12th February 2018
I wonder in today's day if this ASP880 has a quality of sound comparable to the Prism Orpheus or other high end converters ? with built in Preamps.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_SJL View Post
They said on their Facebook page
That this one doesn’t come with burr brown converters. They didn’t say what but it is something different/better?
Oh, good to know. I'm going to do some research on audio converters and see what's out there. The converters I use sample at 1.4 GHz and are for something else entirely.

I've asked around and haven't found out what's in the id44. I guess we'll have to see how it sounds. The dynamic range looks phenomenal but the ear will be the judge.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

It doesn't really matter what name is on that particular chip. It's just one piece of a much larger design. The name on the box that matters is "Audient."
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
...The name on the box that matters is "Audient."
I don't know what you want to imply with that statement; one of my experiences I associate with that name is a preamp I once had, Audient Mico, that always refused to collaborate with some SPDF inputs; an issue known to Audient for years with no remedy coming up... not a great performance for a preamp having digital conversion as its' strong point. BTW the sound was actually really good!
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
I don't know what you want to imply with that statement; one of my experiences I associate with that name is a preamp I once had, Audient Mico, that always refused to collaborate with some SPDF inputs; an issue known to Audient for years with no remedy coming up... not a great performance for a preamp having digital conversion as its' strong point. BTW the sound was actually really good!
I was trying to keep it short. "Audient's design and engineering is much more singificant than this or that particular brand of AD/DA chips. That's just a small part of the total design and ultimately sound quality. I'm sure they chose one of the best ones they had available."

People get a little hung up on notions of perceived quality the very moment someone drops the name "Burr Brown."

I'm not sure how or when that started, but it's a thing.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I was trying to keep it short. "Audient's design and engineering is much more singificant than this or that particular brand of AD/DA chips. That's just a small part of the total design and ultimately sound quality. I'm sure they chose one of the best ones they had available."

People get a little hung up on notions of perceived quality the very moment someone drops the name "Burr Brown."

I'm not sure how or when that started, but it's a thing.
A couple of things. I totally agree that the design around the chip makes the sound, fidelity and conversion accuracy. Something like the the clock jitter (phase noise) probably does more to degrade the dynamic range than anything and that is not a trivial job either. We're not asking who made the PLL right?

That said, there are very few converter brands that I would use in my own designs. I have a very specific niche. I was more impressed that Audient was specifying who they use more than the Burr Brown name (although they do make excellent converters). I haven't see that from other audio companies. Is there a website that shows equipment breakdowns on audio gear? That would be interesting for comparison.

Doing a search for audio converters, the usual suspects came up, TI, Analog Devices, Cirrus, etc. This is a very small market (tiny actually) to these guys. As I was typing this I googled burr brown and sure enough they were bought by TI. The consolidation taking in this industry and in mine (radio design) is incredible. They're turning into an old version of ATT with the telephone system monopoly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search