The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Alpha 65 distortion Studio Monitors
Old 8th February 2019
Zek
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauhauhau7 View Post
About 500- 550 euro max, i'll take a look at the Fluid FX8 though, thanks to all for answering.
Hi,

I've got the Alpha 80 recently and did some room measurements with them.
Seems there is indeed some distortion happening in the high mids and highs

I'm sure thats not the mic or the room response as I did the test before with my Genelecs which didn't show this sort of distortion.

So, don't only check the frequency response but the distortion.
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Alpha 65 distortion-bildschirmfoto-2019-02-08-um-21.06.29.jpg  
Old 8th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
Hi,

I've got the Alpha 80 recently and did some room measurements with them.
Seems there is indeed some distortion happening in the high mids and highs

I'm sure thats not the mic or the room response as I did the test before with my Genelecs which didn't show this sort of distortion.

So, don't only check the frequency response but the distortion.
Thanks, is the distorsion audible enough to make you fell like retunrnig them? Thx
Old 9th February 2019
Zek
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks, is the distorsion audible enough to make you fell like retunrnig them? Thx
Yes I can hear the distortion in that frequency region and was looking for other
root cause
Even if I get very close with the mic to the Alpha (about 10 cm) for the measurement the distortion is still dominant in that range.

I do not have the chance for getting my money back, however I'll contact Focal
to see how they act on this case and whether they know about this issue with this series.

Other than this obvious issue I like the Alpha 80 from the Frequency response and Impuls behaviour.
Old 4th April 2019
Zek
Gear Head

Quote:
In the meanwhile I'm not sure whether this issue is related to the Focal Alpha's
as other people reporting similar distortion problems especially nasty sounding
Piano recording in that frequency area shown in the above graph with other
monitors and headphones.

I hear that nasty saturation, distortion also on my headphones and especially when I'm recording Vocals, Acoustic Guitar and other sources which are rich on overtones and harmonics.

I tried so far more less everything to sort this issue out but could not really find the root cause.

I have two Audio Interfaces (Antelope Audio Zen Tour and a Motu 8A)
both devices can be used either as an USB or Thunderbolt Interface.

With both interfaces I have that distortion/saturation in my recordings

I'm currently trying a class compliant driver for my Motu 8A whether or not it makes any difference.

If someone has similar issues or maybe a solution please let me/us know.

Last edited by Zek; 4th April 2019 at 10:08 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Focal 65. Distorsion solved!!

Hey guys,

I wrote in this thread a while ago because I had the distorsion issue with these monitors. Now it's gone. Only thing that's changed is that I placed some foam under the monitors for more isolation. I wasn't trying to solve the problem, I found some extra foam and instead of throwing it away, I thought I could place it there.

At first I didn't realise I had solved the problem, I wasn't mixing piano those days, and didn't check that at all. But a few weeks later I was mixing some heavy piano and realised there wasn't any distorsion at all.

So maybe that's it. These monitors need a soft foamed surface to lay on, then they won't vibrate so much, avoiding that distorsion to be generated. That's the only way it makes sense, at least for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are you sure it's not the stands that were vibrating? It would see that if the speaker itself was vibrating it wouldn't matter whether it was sitting on foam or not. What kind of stands are you using?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search