The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface decisions RME w/DIGImax lt or DIGI 002 interface Audio Interfaces
View Poll Results: Why is it so hard to make the right decisions
i have no clue
3 Votes - 25.00%
because is it
9 Votes - 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Interface decisions RME w/DIGImax lt or DIGI 002 interface

I guess what im looking for is users experiences, ideas, thoughts, etc etc..

Thie biggest issue is choosing which software platforms to use. pro tools LE because it will enable me to work in any enviroment be it audio tracking or movie post production. they always have a pro tools system there. or would I be happy with DP5 or Logic for the home use since I am a keyboardist and love synths. I am also looking to set up my house for pre productiona dn helping band cut demos and would like to become self employed by this eventually

now here are my 3 main concerns on which to do as far as set ups are concerned.

set up are as followed

.1 Fireface 400 with either a presone DIGImax LT or RME Octomic D (running ADAT)and going from anaog source to digital giving me 10 mic pre's and running it with logic or DP or whatever software i fanatic over...

.2 fireface 400 with a 8 mic pre (none adat) giving me a analog pre then into my RME to be converted. picking up a mbox used to be able to mix or edit in pro tools after tracking into logic or DP and giving my clients pro tools sessions so they can take it where ever they want to at that point. but keeping my knowledge of protools fresh if I get hired to work using a pro tools rig (being optimisitc)

.3 DIGI 002 interface running ADAT RME Octamic D (for pre and conversion reasons) and just giving in to the "industry standard spoof" and sticking with pro tools. My only soar point in this is sacrificing the D/A converters and listening to my mixes on the DIGI 002 main outs.

Some good pointers, or head in the right direction may help...

so then I cant stop obsessing on a decent rig to record and sleep at night

THANKS
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

Don't fret guy, the 002 sounds fine. You can add external converters IF you really need to. In my studio we move sessions that started in LE to HD with zero problems or head aches, Protools is PRO TOOLS.

I've got a pair of 002R boxes running through a Neve 8816 and monitor on Meyer HD-1. I have never had a client complain about the sound quality, never!

Lots of the tracks I'm working on started somewhere else anyway so A to D is a moot point.

It is not mandatory to use the control monitoring output section on the 002R, there are eight line outputs on the box.

Protools works for me, it's fast, easy to use and reliable as the day is long.
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Maniac

great point,

I guess I just spoiled myself on listening to music just to hear how good they were mixed.

but Ive been leaning more towards pro tools because your right its PRO TOOLS. be it that allot of people who say allot of bad things abot it, everywhere you go. they it is.

and HD is out of my bugget for now (till that hit record comes out) until then I think im obsessing over it to much.

I think Ill go with the 002 and pick up an additional mic pre with adat and call it a day so I can go back to doing what I love. working with music
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Maniac

anyboy else with some feedback???
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthecrate View Post
anyboy else with some feedback???
i use the benchmark dac1 as DAC on the 002. man that improved the sound.
its real transparent.
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
i use the benchmark dac1 as DAC on the 002. man that improved the sound.
its real transparent.

and how do you set that up as far as routing out from to 002 (coax, optical?)
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
and how do you set that up as far as routing out from to 002 (coax, optical?)
you can do them both, but i use coax.
and have the optical for my other converter (adat 8 i/0)
Old 29th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
you can do them both, but i use coax.
and have the optical for my other converter (adat 8 i/0)
see thats what bugs me. is the d/a of the digi 002. Although im sure its not horrible. im still bothered to spend upwards of 1400 of that thing with the bundle.

I trust RME. and from what I can read so do allot of other people.

hy cant digi design come up wth an mbow with spidf or adat already?
Old 30th November 2006
Gear Maniac

how do you use the dac1 with the 002 via coax?
Old 30th November 2006
Gear Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyboard View Post
how do you use the dac1 with the 002 via coax?
yep with the coax , and the adat/spdif i/o i use with another converter 8 i/0.

works real wel.

the dac on the coax i use for monitoring.
and the adc/dac on the adat i use for tracking and as insert i/o heh
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
see thats what bugs me. is the d/a of the digi 002. Although im sure its not horrible. im still bothered to spend upwards of 1400 of that thing with the bundle.

I trust RME. and from what I can read so do allot of other people.

hy cant digi design come up wth an mbow with spidf or adat already?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...idge-main.html
Old 30th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by treymonfauntre View Post
HHHmmmm interesting.

and its much cheaper than the DIGI 001 but it lacks midi. but I have a m audio 2x2 or the radium. either way. I think you have stumbled across somthing for me that will help me get to sleep at night
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
HHHmmmm interesting.

and its much cheaper than the DIGI 001 but it lacks midi. but I have a m audio 2x2 or the radium. either way. I think you have stumbled across somthing for me that will help me get to sleep at night
It's not ProTools or m-powered compatible though... you'd still need a compatible PT interface.

The Mbox2's do have S/PDIF in and out and the Pro even has wordclock... and of course MIDI.
---
c
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by treymonfauntre View Post
I really really wish it was. Then I wouldn't be switching to cubase. That is such a good idea. Does anyone know if it does s/mux?
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2u View Post
It's not ProTools or m-powered compatible though... you'd still need a compatible PT interface.

The Mbox2's do have S/PDIF in and out and the Pro even has wordclock... and of course MIDI.
---
c

I found my solution...

<http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFireLightbridge-main.html>

<http://www.rme-audio.com/english/micpreamps/octamic.htm>

M-audio and use the RME Octomic D to mater clock and run via ADAT to the m-audio and shell out the loot for m-powered pro tools. ( which im hoping is exactly the same as LE.) Does anyone know?
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Nut

Wow! That m-audio piece looks awsome! That means you can get 32 ch input on an LE system? I'm surprised digi let that happen. i may look into that for myself and then invest in a few nice converters.

As far as i know, m-powered pt is exactly the same except that it does not support the dv toolkit. It does support the music production toolkit though.
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

So here is my (projecting) idea of what I am going to do...

RME Octomic D - M-audio lightfire - benchmark dac 1

great clock and conversion (a/d)

Pro Tools Capable with 3 adat ins and outs smux (interface)

slutz approved d/a conversion with benchmark

what do ya guys think???
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

It doesn't say anywhere that the m-audio lightbridge is m-powered, but I could be wrong.
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoriental View Post
It doesn't say anywhere that the m-audio lightbridge is m-powered, but I could be wrong.
it will be m-powered by he middle of this month...

but i found out the i/o is limited to 18

but i went with the digi 002 and im gonna get it modded through black lion.

they should tweak the clock in that thing. this ****ty part is now I need to find something with a 8 mic pre that will clock the oo2 and I wanted to stick with RME. but now It sounds like im going to have to spend more money on a interface somewhere else.

This is getting ridiculous already

what will give me 8 pres wih great conversion and will clock the digi 002 and wont kill my wallet at this point.
Old 19th March 2009
Gear Head

3 yeasr old thread but...

I was wondering how did that all work out, and where where are you at with this stuff now?
Old 19th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel1 View Post
I was wondering how did that all work out, and where where are you at with this stuff now?
well i ended up getting the digi 002 and running a RME AD8? light pipe using the rme as the master but I lost control room volume control, so I contacted the boys at black lion audio and sent the digi in for them to work out. sold the rme and this 002 has came to life after black lion audio got theyre hands on it..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search