The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need a mic/preamp combination for $1500
Old 28th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Need a mic/preamp combination for $1500

Hi, I'm new slut, and i'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to find a good mic/preamp(or channelstrip) combo for around $1500. mostly for use on male or female vocals. I work for a studio with an old Neve board(5315) , so I'm looking for something with a different character then that.

any suggestions?
Old 28th November 2006
Lives for gear

The DIY kits (or assembled if you prefer) from Seventh Circle Audio are gaining a lot of popularity. Their most popular module is the N72 (Neve like) but there are 3 other modules with very different character. I just ordered my system (rack, power supply, pre modules) and can't wait to build this sucker. The issue of Tape Op before the current one had 2 detailed reviews on these kits, and they also have very good word of mouth.

YMMV of course
Old 28th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks to both responders, I looked into the seventh circle stuff, I'd love to build one eventually, but I just don't have the time right now to go through all the trouble.

and I didn't even think of the SM7, I've never used one, but i have some friends who swear by 'em. and they're not all that expensive it looks like.

Thanks!
Old 28th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENFENDR View Post
Hi, I'm new slut, and i'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to find a good mic/preamp(or channelstrip) combo for around $1500. mostly for use on male or female vocals. I work for a studio with an old Neve board(5315) , so I'm looking for something with a different character then that.

any suggestions?

John Hardy + SM7
OR
John Hardy + U195

That will be different than what you are used to and sound great.

Good luck,
David

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search