The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's your favorite cheapo, "POS" gear?
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

What's your favorite cheapo, "POS" gear?

Could be a microphone, preamp, comp, instrument, insane DIY or junk part percussion device....I know you all have a "secret weapon" that you found for $100 at a pawn shop and absolutely KICKS ASS!

GO!!!

Mine:

1) MXR Dual Limiter - Picked it up from Georgetown Music here in Seattle for $185 on Mike's recommendation (great folks BTW) and it absolutely slays! Honestly, I pretty much use it to squash the **** out of drums (think Distressor on nuke)....highly recommend!

2) Cheapo Yamaha EGV103C samurai style strat thingy. I think these originally came with the Yammie "strat pack" with a 10W amp and cable and strap and all that **** for around $150. I think I paid $160 for it....couldn't put the little bastard down! If you want INSTANT surf, funk or that Motown "quack" and you like your strat tone like you like your women, thin and gorgeous....then this is the axe for you. If you like a big bottom, you ain't gunna get it with this beast....it's incapable of producing anything below 100hz lol ....but damn, that glass top is smooth and shimmery without sounding like angry bees with ice picks!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

I picked up a beat old A&H gl2200 for $200. I now mix through the thing. This mixer ran HUNDREDS of rock shows, and has probably had more than one drink spilled into it, but it works great for My purposes. I have My eye on another, just for spare channels etc. I like to be able to just set up a mix and go, with a traditional mixer. The eq is ok for general stuff, the overall sound is pretty good and it gives Me an easy way to use OB compression and other stuff. Speaking of compressors, I just picked up an Ashly cl52e for $50 that I like quite a bit too.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Old Ibanez HD1000. Always inspirational to me.
Old 9th October 2014
e17
Gear Nut

Kay Fashion Sound 15watt solid state guitar combo from the 80s.

It should suck, but it doesn't at all.

£15.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

MXR Dual Limiter, dito.

to me it's high end tho... I acquired three of those by now
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Even after upgrading all of my preamps and buying some really nice DI's I still love the RNP as a Bass DI.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone else?
Old 10th October 2014
bee
Lives for gear

I'll second the MXR dual limiter and add a valley dynamite to the list.
Old 10th October 2014
Here for the gear

What is 'POS' gear?

I don't have secret weapon, also my gear is not high expensive. I only use old analog console, Boss rack se series, few diy stompboxes, and old zoom gfx 707 for guitar preamp and bass.
Not really secret weapon but I sometimes put a little capacitor in signal chain to cut some resonance, I can put it after guitar pot or before preamp section.
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryo View Post
What is 'POS' gear?

I don't have secret weapon, also my gear is not high expensive. I only use old analog console, Boss rack se series, few diy stompboxes, and old zoom gfx 707 for guitar preamp and bass.
Not really secret weapon but I sometimes put a little capacitor in signal chain to cut some resonance, I can put it after guitar pot or before preamp section.
Piece of shlt.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Fender Squire Champ amplifier. No tubes but you'd swear it did. $35
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Our Behringer DEQ 2496 ---- used under $100 = amazing tool -- its our stereo bus comp/widener for all our mixes
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Not to put on any track to make it sound good nor naturally compressed, though it's hella good for funk - it adds that snappiness and edge to the signal my funk guitars wouldn't be the same without.
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

That would still be my old Stella guitar.......1966 H929 model....$75.

Painted on fret markers.......had to slop a bunch of wood glue around inside so she'd stay together......

Old 12th October 2014
Gear Maniac

I love my old Zoom 1201 effect. It's a great box with tons of 'gadget' sounds. Lo-Fi, vocoder, distortion, flanger, pitch-shifter,... work very well. Rock solid and as easy to use as a stompbox! Instant fun! Was great for the price at the time (1997 ?) and costs nothing used.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite cheapo, "POS" gear?-zoom.jpg  
Old 12th October 2014
Deleted User
Rolls / Bellari RP220 .. cheep dual mic pre .. it sits proud next to my Portico and 500 series stuff... transformers saturate in a very nice way .. best 'push the vocals to mild overdrive' sound of all my pre's.
Old 12th October 2014
Gear Guru

One more here who loves his MXR limiter a lot, but at the moment my dirt cheap favourite toy is a Yamaha RX11 I found for 40 quid. About to use it as a sequencer triggering an Akai S1100. Should be about as magic as an old MPC, but even simpler and more to the point. And for less than a hundred quid between them.
Old 12th October 2014
Deleted User
I also enjoy the Radial Exct loop .. allows me to use my guitar pedalboard and all my old stomp boxes in the signal chain
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

M-Audio mixer, still working great!
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Lexicon Alex fx processor. The verbs are horribly dated, but the delays kick ass!
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear
Galaxy Audio CM-130 "Checkmate" SPL db meter.
I would say it is a cheap piece of gear I often use that kicks azz
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e17 View Post
Kay Fashion Sound 15watt solid state guitar combo from the 80s.

It should suck, but it doesn't at all.

I sometimes wish that present-day adult Me could go back in time and tell teenage Me "don't worry about how crappy that guitar amp sounds; at some point in the future you will find a tune that it's just perfect for!"

Every cheap POS guitar amp that I ever sold or gave away over the years would probably be coveted by engineers and/or guitarists nowadays. at least some of them...
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Alesis Micro Limiter. Its ugly sounding, but its a good ugly.
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

It's hard for me to say 'cause every bit of outboard gear I own is probably considered a POS.However,I really like my DBX 166xs and my Samson S-Patch Plus patchbay.

As you were.

fb
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

I like my Zoom 1201 and my J-Station. Both under $70.00, but far from being POS--that would be my Vox MINI3, lost all it's models after the warranty ran out, Vox was no help. The FX still work, so I just put an overdrive in front of it.
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

I've got a few. Alesis Microverb/Midiverb 2, Zoom 1204, Delta Lab Effectron, MXR 136.
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Behringer Ultra-G (GI-100) DI box.
A guitarist destroyed one of my DOD DI boxes during a show I was running sound at, and promised he'd replace it.
Well, he gave me this Behringer DI (I'm not a Behringer fan) which works great. It has a cab emulator in it which isn't even close to a 4x12 cab, but, in my studio when running a guitar into a USB interface, it sculpts the tone just right. It makes every acoustic and electric guitar sound more pleasant going into a DAW. Also helps guitars sit better in a mix.
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

A lot of my stuff falls into this category!

I have this Joe Meek "Hooter" which is a pre-amp/compressor. It's noisy, but I get some cool sounds out of it.

I have the Behringer ADA800 which gives me an extra 8 inputs (handy for big drumkits) and 8 outputs so I can run stuff through amps/guitar pedals/the "Hooter".

I also have a bunch of mics I got really cheap. I got this Grampian mic from the 60's off Ebay for £1. It sounds very weird and lo-fi. Everything you sing through it sounds like Sparklehorse.

Also, I thought "POS" referred to "Point Of Sale". As in, the stuff they sell in shops by the checkout that people buy even if they don't need them. Like batteries, or chewing gum or something.
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Maniac

My MXL 990. Paid $49 and it always finds its way into the mix. It has never sounded bad.

- Tiko
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Gras View Post
Behringer Ultra-G (GI-100) DI box.
A guitarist destroyed one of my DOD DI boxes during a show I was running sound at, and promised he'd replace it.
Well, he gave me this Behringer DI (I'm not a Behringer fan) which works great. It has a cab emulator in it which isn't even close to a 4x12 cab, but, in my studio when running a guitar into a USB interface, it sculpts the tone just right. It makes every acoustic and electric guitar sound more pleasant going into a DAW. Also helps guitars sit better in a mix.
on the Ultra..... amazing little DI for $40
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search