The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Lion Mod or...
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Addict

Black Lion Mod or...

these BL mod's have been the talk of the town, so I wanted to ask everybody, out of curiosity, how they'd feel about the mod's in comparascent to other alternatives.

So let's say you have the option of modding a Motu 192, which is on their list, and along with the mod you get a high quality 3rd party clock since BL doesn;t do the clock on the 192 and keep all that just under $3k give or take. Would you go with that or with getting a set of converters that alone cost $3k or more like mytek, aurora, apogee, etc?

i think its an important question because it seems to investigate whether or not the BL mod's are a nice "poor man's" alternative only, meaning, since you dont have the dough,it can theoretically only get better or are they inherently great mod's that can compete with the big boys?
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

I would get high end converters and pres to start with, but thats just me.

If you're not making $$,$$$ off your studio, stick with the stock MOTU.

If you want to invest more $$,$$$ in your already profitable studio, go for high end.

Apogee, Lavry, Mytek etc....

I've never heard the mods.

Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Addict

ok cool, thanks for your opinion and response cdog. can i ask what do you use?

Keep 'em coming everybody...
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

I got the mod on a motu 2408, which is clocked with a lucid genx6, and the sound seems to be a bit more focused. If you've already got the 192, your options are: mod it, or sell it at a loss and buy something new for way more money. If you're spending way more money, would your sound benefit from the barely perceptible difference better convertors would impart, or would your sound benefit from a couple of new mics? I think the BL mod is fine for project studio work, especially considering all the grammy winning albums that have been recorded on less than stellar equipment. After all, it's supposed to be about the music.
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Addict

interesting uncle duncan... so you're basically saying from the range of the motu 192 and the slightly pricer converters in the 3k range there isn't that much of a difference. and that any real difference is seen in the 8-10k range converter wise, so why invest in the slightly pricer when the real difference within that budget range would be to just buy better mic's.
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by somsto75 View Post
interesting uncle duncan... so you're basically saying from the range of the motu 192 and the slightly pricer converters in the 3k range there isn't that much of a difference.
As long as you get the mod. I'm sure others will disagree. The ultimate bottleneck for you sound quality will be the convertors, but the most immediate improvement will probably be mics, and then pres, unless you already have the mic/pre thing covered.
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear Addict

ok, so thats another opinion for mod'ed 192. ive been hearing a few saying the same thing that a mod'ed 192 is comparable to certain higher end converters

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search