The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MCA SP1 & MXL V67G so bad? Condenser Microphones
Old 21st September 2014
Thumbs up MCA SP1 & MXL V67G so bad?

I purchased these mics back in July. I read a lot of post here 6 months prior and heard for such cheap mics, they sound pretty good & don't have a harsh high end. In testing, the V67g sounded smooth and kinda warm but covered with a veil? But the MCA sounded even better to my ears & more clear & open. Today I recorded on the mca for a cover I was doing, didn't mix it, just threw on some re-verb and delay and wow! I was shocked how pro it sounded for a $50 mic. I spoke to Michael Jolly & John Bonnell (I think that was his name) and they offered me many mods. Not sure if I need it now. Not sure if the sound can be improved much more or needed. But anyways, anybody else have experience with these mics? And if so, how do you think they compare to mics like the Blue Bluebird, AT 4040, AKG 214, and Shure ksm27. I wanted to upgrade to these but should I? I will attach audio samples on request. (All I record is vocals) (No drums, Guitars, etc)
Old 21st September 2014
anybody?
Old 21st September 2014
Lives for gear

If you're looking for a nice upgrade that won't break the bank, I highly recommend the Studio Projects CS1. These go for less than 200 dollars. There's one up on the Gearstluz classifieds at a good price.
Old 21st September 2014
Lives for gear

I personally did not like the SP1. Tried it on vocals and it just didn't do much for me. I guess that's partly because I have a few other mics that sound better IMO. I tried the MXL V67 and did not keep it. At first I didn't like that mic either but when I go back and listen to the recordings I did with it I realize that it actually sounds pretty good. Even though I have not tried any of the models you mentioned, I would think that the Bluebird, AT4040, KSM27 and AKG214 would be upgrades that would make a difference. However that difference would not be as substantial as one would suspect. It would probably be more subtle.

Personally I tend to go for mics with a little character or flavor. My vote for a mic in a similar price range would be the AKG 535. It's quite bright and accurate in a good way. I think it has a really enjoyable texture and color tone as well. A little bit of careful EQ can make it stand out. I'm talking about subtractive EQ-ing so that it doesn't fatigue the ear after too much listening. There's a bit of self-noise to the unit but I'm okay with that since I much prefer the handheld form factor. Gonna need a windscreen or pop filter on her though. Have not tried the CS1 so can't comment there. If you can afford it, keep trying as many mics as you can, sell the ones you don't like and keep the ones you do. I hope this helps at least a little bit. Good luck and have fun with it!
Old 21st September 2014
Own both and still believe both are great mics unmodded. I've had-used-auditioned many, many mics over the past 15 years or so. Some cheap, some expensive. The fact I've kept both mics should say something. I've had two modded V67Gs in the past yet sold both of them and went back to an unmodded one which I like better. The SP1 while a great mic, is a small diaphragm mic and IMHO not suitable for most vocals. However, just last week I did a shoot out of all the mics in my locker to see which worked best for acoustic guitar. The SP1 won by a mile.
Old 21st September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Own both and still believe both are great mics unmodded. I've had-used-auditioned many, many mics over the past 15 years or so. Some cheap, some expensive. The fact I've kept both mics should say something. I've had two modded V67Gs in the past yet sold both of them and went back to an unmodded one which I like better. The SP1 while a great mic, is a small diaphragm mic and IMHO not suitable for most vocals. However, just last week I did a shoot out of all the mics in my locker to see which worked best for acoustic guitar. The SP1 won by a mile.
That's really cool to hear! I think I will be keeping these stock after all.
Old 12th September 2016
In the shoot out?

Quote:
Hi Rob, I know this is going back a few years. I picked up a pair of the SP1s over a year ago and they've remained in their blister packaging, as I've got a lot of other mics to chose from. I'm going to break them out for a new studio shortly.

Going to your comment about how good they sound on acoustic guitar, I'm wondering how they'll stack up against my Rode NT2? I'm wondering also if you can tell us what other mic's were in the shoot-out you did?

Cheers,
J
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

SP1 (bodies) are good for modding.

Nice headbasket. Nice size.

Fit a good LDC capsule and some fine electronics and you have a honey.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Revitalizing This Thread ...

I just stumbled on a mint-condition, used SP-1 on eBay -- yet old enough to have the original, thru-hole circuit boards. Delivered to my home for less than forty bucks. For straight-read commercial VOs, this thing sounds absolutely incredible, as-is, out-of-the-box. Definitely a keeper that I will use and enjoy ... a lot!
Old 1 week ago
Just used one of my modded SP1s on a vocal track last week. I tried all kinds of much more expensive mics on this guy and we settled on one of the modded (only the cap mod) SP1s and it sounded perfect for his voice.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Modded SP1 ...

Quote:
Just used one of my modded SP1s on a vocal track last week. I tried all kinds of much more expensive mics on this guy and we settled on one of the modded (only the cap mod) SP1s and it sounded perfect for his voice.
Which/whose mod are we talking about here?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
For anyone who stumbles on this thread, I'd pick a V67G over a Blue Bluebird, or really any of the cheaper Blue mics. If I were recording just myself I'd probably pick a V67G over the C214 as well, but if I were opening a studio I'd pick the 214 simply because of AKG's name on it. I'd pick either a Lewitt LCT 441 Flex or 440 Pure over both those though, but my point is the V67G is great if you can find it for $60 (especially when you consider how harsh some $300+ mics are, and yeah the CAD M179 is pretty versatile as well, but it's like $200). They're are a ton of better options as well, but they usually cost at least twice as much. I wouldn't bother with a mod for it though, because the more comprehensive ones cost a few hundred, and a 3U Audio Warbler MKID will probably cost the same as a V67G after mods. The only reason I don't have my V67G anymore is I was in between jobs when I upgraded to the 3U Audio Black CM1 and wanted part of the cost of the mic covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelGef View Post
I just stumbled on a mint-condition, used SP-1 on eBay -- yet old enough to have the original, thru-hole circuit boards. Delivered to my home for less than forty bucks. For straight-read commercial VOs, this thing sounds absolutely incredible, as-is, out-of-the-box. Definitely a keeper that I will use and enjoy ... a lot!
That's interesting to hear, since it's just 990 in a U87 inspired body. I can definitely hear the sibilance in a 990 on VO with a lower voice, though I doubt that's much of a problem since commercials often have a lot of interesting EQ choices, but cheers on being able to utilize the mic stock.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelGef View Post
Which/whose mod are we talking about here?
Had a local tech install upgraded caps. You can buy cap upgrade kits on eBay.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
SP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
For anyone who stumbles on this thread, I'd pick a V67G over a Blue Bluebird, or really any of the cheaper Blue mics. If I were recording just myself I'd probably pick a V67G over the C214 as well, but if I were opening a studio I'd pick the 214 simply because of AKG's name on it. I'd pick either a Lewitt LCT 441 Flex or 440 Pure over both those though, but my point is the V67G is great if you can find it for $60 (especially when you consider how harsh some $300+ mics are, and yeah the CAD M179 is pretty versatile as well, but it's like $200). They're are a ton of better options as well, but they usually cost at least twice as much. I wouldn't bother with a mod for it though, because the more comprehensive ones cost a few hundred, and a 3U Audio Warbler MKID will probably cost the same as a V67G after mods. The only reason I don't have my V67G anymore is I was in between jobs when I upgraded to the 3U Audio Black CM1 and wanted part of the cost of the mic covered.

That's interesting to hear, since it's just 990 in a U87 inspired body. I can definitely hear the sibilance in a 990 on VO with a lower voice, though I doubt that's much of a problem since commercials often have a lot of interesting EQ choices, but cheers on being able to utilize the mic stock.
This SP1 came from a small studio liquidation [the owner-engineer had passed on]. Even though it is the original-configuration, brass-bodied, thru-hole circuit board version, it was in mint condition & obviously well maintained. I can see the original capsule through the headbasket, of course ... but for all I know, this gentleman may have performed some mods on his own -- or at the very least installed the 3-component "eBay mod" in the past. I am not going to look this "gift mic in the mouth" ... because it is very pleasant sounding, not sibilant or harsh-in-the-highs by any means -- and doesn't have those strange frequency spikes I've been reading about. If this mic is stock, then I got a "good one." If it was modded, I'm leaving well enough alone & letting it do its thing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search