The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boss RC 300 with Logic Backing Track
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Head

Boss RC 300 with Logic Backing Track

Hi all,

I've just bought a Boss 300 (so am still a rank amateur with it) and am trying to work out the best way to create live overdubs fully in time and synced with a backing track on Logic. At present we're rehearsing with Logic, with two singers and a drummer all having a click track in an ear piece. We'll be lining up the tracks in Mainstage eventually but Logic is fine for now.

I see that you can identify the BPM and number of bars for each phrase recorded for the RC300 but I just can't quite work out the best way to 100% sync up what I'm recording with the backing track. We have several tracks that feature polyphonic vocal arrangements of about 6 tracks each at the beginning of the track and really want to do it live.

Thanks!
Old 10th September 2014
I only have the RC3, which is great, but i'm thinking about the better ones like the RC300. From what I understand, the RC300 has midi i/o - so I would expect you could use Logic to send midi clock to this device and have it perfectly sync'd up that way.

I suppose you are using Logic for live instruments and effects? If not, why not just create audio tracks as loops and import them into the RC300, and eliminate the need for Logic on stage. That way you have your first loop all ready to go so syncing is a breeze.

I'm a fan of using TC Voicelive harmonies, which means you don't have to layer vocal tracks up one by one live, or play canned harmonies. These are getting cheaper all the time, and there are other alternatives too.
Old 11th September 2014
Gear Head

Our sound is very big and complex so we will ultimately need Mainstage to run the backing tracks. We will ultimately need to send out multiple backing tracks (different keyboards, recorded BVs, drones) for the FOH to mix, so I need to finds a way of hooking u the RC300 with Logic and then Mainstage.

Excellent. I did notice briefly in the instructions that it can be connected via midi cable to a DAW or laptop. That seems to be the way to go then if this will allow me to 100% sync the loop length (and my loops) with what is happening in playback in Logic.
Old 11th September 2014
Gear Head

I've just read that it's officially not possible for a DAW to set the tempo of the RC300. The below posts suggest several (incredibly complicated) way of doing it in Ableton. Anyone had success doing something similar to this in Logic...?

Here's how to slave the RC-300's Tempo to (some) external sources

I'm a little surprised how difficult this is with this bit of kit....
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Head

Anyone?

Lots of chatter on forums for this bit haven't really ever seen any resolution. Big problem for RC 300 users....
Old 13th September 2014
I would suggest fake it. For example - you could do some live looping on stage, where you build up your vocal harmony parts, and it is obviously all live. But then, when that's done, you can start your DAW track, and have those exact same parts pre-recorded. There will be some slight differences, but I imagine at that stage they will be mixed lower, and they won't be the focus of attention. The audience won't know or care how it was done - they can see that you can sing, and can layer up your voices - the idea of repetitive stuff is that it just becomes wall paper anyway ... so don't sweat the small details.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

In my Experience

I am assuming by now you've already found something of a solution for your original post. If not, then this is for you as well as anyone who may come across the same issue and wonder why it's not working.

I've noticed with RC 300 tempo map that it doesn't really align with anything. I know this as I will record something on a DAW and then import it into the looper to test a theory I had and low and behold it's off... and you can audibly tell (which is bad).

It's also the master of anything you throw at it. So syncing it to your DAW won't work unless you sync your DAW to it. That's another post entirely.

So if anyone finds themselves unable to put their backtracks on their RC 300 for a fuller sound... I recommend recording the "tempo map" (of the whole song) INTO your DAW (record the click basically using a sub or line out on your looper)... and then line it up the best you can (important) to hit the zero mark of your DAW grid. You may have to magnify the track to see the hit point. Then after that, tempo detect the entire track so that your DAW now is in line with the RC 300's click that you recorded earlier.

You now have a mapped out tempo track of the specified BPM you need for your song

I personally recommend, after this, to import your tracks into the project and let your DAW set the newly imported tracks to match the groove of your grid's new tempo map.

You can go further if you like by finding a way from here to loop directly onto your DAW but I wouldn't recommend that at all.

I do hope this helps whoever needs it, as well as you that posted about it 5 years ago

Oh and if this is dumb and pointless I'll gladly delete it, no questions asked. I just know that I would wanna come across this if I were searching for how to sync my DAW to my looper. Bottomline you can't. But there's always an alternative
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search