The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Palmer Monicon anyone?
Old 31st August 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Palmer Monicon anyone?

Hello everybody

For my new speakers - the superb Geithain RL 906 - I'm looking for a small, inexpensive monitor controller. There's not much it needs to do other than controlling the volume. A mono switch is nice, but not a must have for me. It just shouldn't colour the sound in any way.
The Palmer Monicon seems to fit the bill. It looks nice and solid and doesn't cost a fortune. Has anybody any experience with that controller she'd/he'd care to share? Would these be a good fit for the Geithains? Or am I missing something?
Old 31st August 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Been considering one of these myself. Would also be keen to hear some feedback.
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There's not much info around, so maybe it's not widely in use?
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Looks like I'll simply have to bite the bullet and buy one. I hope it doesn't alter the sound. Of not it'll fit my needs perfectly.
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Tested it. Screws up the stereo image below 10:00 position.
Old 2nd September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That's a no-go. Could it have been a faulty device? In the few tests I found this issue wasn't mentioned. Else I'd probably have to settle on an SM Pro Audio Nano Patch, which doesn't have a mono button and looks cheaper.
Old 2nd September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
That's a no-go. Could it have been a faulty device? In the few tests I found this issue wasn't mentioned. Else I'd probably have to settle on an SM Pro Audio Nano Patch, which doesn't have a mono button and looks cheaper.
Device was not faulty. They also tested that in the store next door after we told them, same problem. We tested lots of stuff there and in my studio. SM Pro Audio Nano Patch also has the same problem. ThereΒ΄s no monitor controller in the lower price range that doesnΒ΄t have it.

Two exceptions:
- Presonus Central Station
- NOS (New Old Sound) McONE Products

Presonus Monitor Station has the same problem, before you ask.

Those are the only two decent ones in the lower price range I know. Everything else starts at 1000.- minimum.

R
Matt
Old 2nd September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info, Matt. 625€ just for a volume knob is too excessive for my taste. Even the NOS McOne costs more than I hoped to spend on such a simple control instrument. But if everything else screws the stereo image... I'll certainly test the Monicon specifically towards that issue before I make a decision.
Old 16th November 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Attached Thumbnails
Palmer Monicon anyone?-001.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-002.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-003.jpg  
Old 16th November 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Members have any first hand experience with this line of passive controller?

Switcher
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimatt View Post
Any more feedback maybe?

I guess it would be beeter than my Behringer Minimon anyway but the stereo image problem makes me doubt...
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Out of curiosity, any idea what the more expensive devices do right if almost all the cheaper ones have the same defect?
Old 1st February 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just saw there's a jack stereo output, is it possible to use it with the XLR outputs?
If so, does the mute control affect the jack output as well?
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Any more opinion about the Monicon srewing up the stereo image?

The Monicon would be better than a Behringer Minimon800 anyway, right?
Old 2nd March 2015
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have the Monicon (yet), but I will buy it soon. I highly doubt that you'll get anything better in that price range.
Old 10th March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Monicon good choice!

This sounds much worse:
Nowsonic Switcher
Attached Thumbnails
Palmer Monicon anyone?-dsc_0001.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-dsc_0003.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-dsc_0004.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-dsc_0005.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-dsc_0006.jpg  

Palmer Monicon anyone?-dsc_0007.jpg  

Last edited by Plazma; 11th March 2015 at 10:44 PM..
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So far I haven't had any issues with mine (I'm using it since half a year probably). Everything works as advertised, it looks good, and is sturdy. No problems with the stereo image either. If you need an inexpensive device without bells and whistles the Palmer Monicon fits the bill nicely.
Old 23rd March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
NOS McONE inside
Attached Thumbnails
Palmer Monicon anyone?-mc1.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-mc2.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-mc3.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-mc5.jpg   Palmer Monicon anyone?-mc4.jpg  

Old 20th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm in the market for a new passive monitor controller as my current one is pretty much falling apart. Would love to hear some more user input on the Palmer Monicon. All I want is a simple control device. I understand the stereo image won't be as good as the really pricey ones, but I can live with that. Who has bought the Palmer Monicon in the meantime and what are your experiences?
Old 8th June 2016
Old 8th June 2016 | Show parent
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
... and sounds good (if you can say that about a passive device). I have one now for two weeks and like it a lot. Good built quality and nice features at a fair price.
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Anyone could compare the Monicon L with Mackie's Big Knob?
I like that the Monicon L has a separate aux volume input level on the front panel, I'm just concerned about feeding its mini stereo jack input with some strong signals coming from one of the two sound cards.
Old 31st August 2016 | Show parent
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unguitar View Post
I'm just concerned about feeding its mini stereo jack input with some strong signals coming from one of the two sound cards.
No need to worry. The aux in can handle line level without problems.
Old 23rd October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Members have any hand experience with this device:
PCC Passive Control Center
Attached Thumbnails
Palmer Monicon anyone?-pcc-1.jpg  
Old 24th October 2016 | Show parent
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plazma View Post
Members have any hand experience with this device:
PCC Passive Control Center
I don't have experience with that, but it seems to be more a device for the Hifi enthusiast. It has obviously a unbalanced signal path (RCA/Chinch inputs) and I don't get the application of selecting different input/output signals for right and left channel in a studio environment (and for the home listening environment as well)
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think the principal difficulty with cheap versions of this 'simple' device (passive stereo balanced monitor control) is getting a four gang pot to behave *exactly* the same on all four gangs at all settings..
if they don't match exactly.. well there goes your stereo image..

for this reason some folk go with volume pots with discrete steps which have some kind of cheap-but-very-reliable laser-trimmed resistances at the various steps.. that way your stereo image is held well. I seem to remember someone was selling such monitor controllers on ebay for about Β£50 or Β£60 - no mono switch, though..
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
****ing piece of ****!!!
I'm so angry. The Palmer Monicon has a good feel but it's unusable for any kinds of listening. Even not critical. It destroys everything.
I'll be gutting this passive mon controller soon. I'll post something if I discover a mod for it.
A+

M
Old 16th December 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimatt View Post
What's about the Monicon L ? Same issues?
Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent
Heb
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelito View Post
****ing piece of ****!!!
I'm so angry. The Palmer Monicon has a good feel but it's unusable for any kinds of listening. Even not critical. It destroys everything.
I'll be gutting this passive mon controller soon. I'll post something if I discover a mod for it.
A+

M
Care to elaborate?
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi,

It has phase issues. It changes the stereo image. seemed more boomy. That's what I remember now. Is a lot for a passive monitor controller.
I think it might be the pot that is not of good quality or a problem with the mute or mono button (does it have one?? can't remember). I didn't see anything out of normal when I opened it. I'm going back to my M-patch 2 now.
hope it helps.
Cheers,

M
πŸ“ Reply