Palmer Monicon anyone?
Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent
Heb
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelito View Post
Hi,

It has phase issues. It changes the stereo image. seemed more boomy. That's what I remember now. Is a lot for a passive monitor controller.
I think it might be the pot that is not of good quality or a problem with the mute or mono button (does it have one?? can't remember). I didn't see anything out of normal when I opened it. I'm going back to my M-patch 2 now.
hope it helps.
Cheers,

M
You must have had bad luck with your unit, it isn't a high end controller but from my experience it smokes the M-patch2.
I've had both and the M-patch had way more issues with the stereo image and buttons that stopped working.
I've had zero issues with the Palmer.
Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
You must have had bad luck with your unit, it isn't a high end controller but from my experience it smokes the M-patch2.
I've had both and the M-patch had way more issues with the stereo image and buttons that stopped working.
I've had zero issues with the Palmer.
Excuse me Heb, but the Palmer Monicon is as high end as the Tascam 424; as well as the M-Patch 2.
It could be a faulty unit. Possible. Well, we all know Thomann in Europe by now...
At least, in my experience, the M-Patch 2 does not seem to have issues with the stereo image and freq response.
IMHO
Best,

M
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just to add my $0.02, I recently got a pair of Adam F7s, and after a couple weeks of reaching behind them to turn them off when I wanted headphones only, I picked up a JBL NanoPatch+ (same design as the SM Audio brand; prolly just some brand juggling at Harman Audio). I settled on this one over the TC Electronics Level Pilot, which is slightly smaller on the desk and would have had more options for hiding cables, after hearing a few reviews about the Level Pilot having dropout problems in one or both channels at the very bottom of its range (like way below any sane volume level for mixing), and also not having any attenuation markings on the device so you're never quite sure where you have it set. In both cases, however, we're talking about the very bottom end of balanced-I/O level controls; anything cheaper and you're dealing with RCA connections.

After hooking up the NP+, I very carefully listened for any EQ changes or stereo image problems as I turned it up or down, and couldn't find any, not even below -40dB attenuation. It's a better-quality level control than the pot for the headphone amp built into my Mackie desk mixer (which, for about a third the cost of that whole mixer, it had better be).

Maybe I just got a good one, but, c'mon, it's a pot. Admittedly one of the more complex ones in production, but a pot nonetheless. That is the sole signal-altering component of any real consequence (on ANY of the boxes in question); the switches for mute, mono (on the Monicon) or I/O selection (on the MPATCH or Monicon L) functions are make or break, no finely-tuned resistance gradients. All the contacts either work or they don't. There's no compounding or cancellation of manufacturing tolerances between dozens or hundreds of components which requires careful and exacting QC at every step of assembly and testing, as there is on even a basic mixing console. It's this one pot, made up of gangs that Alps can match within a tenth percent variance or less before they're even assembled into the pot. Then the pot just gets a few leads soldered on, mounted in a brushed aluminum box and off it goes. It can't be that hard to make a good one, and by the same token the truly bad ones should be fairly rare (like, you shouldn't have to return it more than once to get a good working one).

Last edited by Liko; 10th January 2017 at 01:09 AM..
Old 29th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelito View Post
Hi,

It has phase issues. It changes the stereo image. seemed more boomy. That's what I remember now. ... I'm going back to my M-patch 2 now.
So, you don't have any of these problems with the JBL?
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Same issue with my Monicon L , i.e stereo image destroyed under 10 o'clock
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone has any experience with the Mackie Big Knob Passive? It's only $70 bucks, and seems to getting rave reviews.
Old 15th June 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordingEurope View Post
Same issue with my Monicon L , i.e stereo image destroyed under 10 o'clock
I just got Palmer Monicon, read this post and was just about to return it but decided to do some crude testing, to the best of my limited abilities - I am just a listener to a classical music.
I use Monicon it in a bit weird configuration between the Bryston BHA-1 preamp and bridged 2B LPs - I just need attenuator otherwise the preamp is too hot, I can barely move the volume knob if I set max gain on the power amps. I checked the position of my speakers, put the same gain on both power amps, and seat in my listening chair with a microphone and sound meter. I used basic image and channel balance CD The ultimate test CD. First checked for any channel imbalance with pink noise, scrappers, drums, human voice..between -26dB, -36dB on Monicon. There was none. Then I checked sound stage: human voice 5,10. 30 feet from microphone, 5, 10. 30 right and left from microphone. No difference with and without a Monicon. I listened to some tracks I know very well with and without Monicon. It sounded good. I do not draw any conclusions from that, but do you think I still may have problem with stereo imaging?
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I have the same stereo problems ... when listening to headphones is weird ... big differs between my Focusrite Scarlett headphone sound and the sound in Palmer
Old 28th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Not much love for the Palmer Monicon on here nor the general range of units sub £100 - but if it just screws up the stereo image, does anyone see it presenting any problem as a MONO monitor selector? I'd be using it with a single Avantone Active mix cube.
Old 28th January 2019
Deleted 80fad10
I had the Monicon and the Monicon L for a while. It was usable when you didn´t go below the 11 o clock position on the potentiometer. Now I have a Mackie Big Knob passive, which is a lot better. When you go below 9 o clock there is a slight stereo shift, but it has a dim button which makes it possible to avoid this. Otherwise it is a fine unit.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Anyone heard Behringer Monitor1? It's one of the least expensive, but was expecting that what's essentially a variable resistor in a box might not be so complicated to make
Old 29th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
With these passive boxes, doesn't the volume pot plus the capacitance of the cables form a lowpass filter? I don't see how it wouldn't.
Old 16th March 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Has anyone tried the Palmer Monicon XL yet?
Old 5th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpattee View Post
Same question here ! how does it compare to Audient Nero or Drawmer CMC-3 ?
Old 6th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpattee View Post
+1 same question!
I seriously consider it for the looks and connections.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I’m checking this one out after having the SMaudio Mpatch 2. So the issue with the Mpatch 2 many report over time is the volume knob. It seems to shift the right or left image and one plays lower. Only fix is to turn down your master buss in your daw, crank the sm pro to almost max and back down to normal levels.

It’s weird but I’ve found that if you do crank it after not using it for a day or so and back down the issue goes away and you’re good to go! Now onto the buttons for channel A/ B. These sometimes make static engaging them in and out and also sometimes I’ve found screw up the volume. Sometimes a few clicks and fidgeting with it will put you back on.

So I cannnot recommend the Mpatch 2. JBL audio bought them out, and are reselling the design rebranded. However seems they did not change the design. I’m in between taking mine apart, and giving it a good clean and checking it to see if that helps a bit. It’s still usable, but not professional. So may check this out since it has XLR and many of them don’t unless going into the upper price bracket.

I was looking at this one, because it’s not $600 and it has XLR vs TRS cable connections. Not looking to buy 4 adapters or replace my cables. I bought custom redco mogami cables, when I bought my lunchbox and apogee converter years ago. The cables alone were very high quality, measured to my specs/measurement length and not cheap. I think for $99 I may give this a chance!

However, I believe all the cheap ones over time suffer from a bad knob and poor components. After 2 years or sooner most have issues. I wish I could just mod it, or upkeep it myself, every 3 months to prevent this. With most of these cheaper ones. But I’ll take $99 for 2-3 years of use over $699.

Also the ones with headphones that are passive like the Mpatch and have a separate powered headphone amp...the headphone amp is garbage, and goes out as well. I put my money on one of the Capi 500 series headphone amps, and they are quality for the price next the the higher end $400-$500 headphone amps. If you can’t solder, you can usually get one for $270 or so built on Reverb and need a lunchbox...but save a good chunk vs a $499 Neve headphone amp.
📝 Reply