The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best quality, transparent, mic preamps for under $599? Audio Interfaces
Old 11th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Some cheap quality pre amps, not including 500 series:

Rane MSb1 (MSb1s)
Tampa
DMP3
ISA One
Gap73 & Deluxe version
Again, I'm looking for something with a digital out. Preferably USB, or Thunderbolt, but I can work around coax (or whatever it's called).
Old 11th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
In this scenario there is no A/D or D/A conversion. Rather, it is a conversion from one digital format to another. You never leave digital domain and there is no loss of quality.

It's a simple thing to do, really, so the adapter is cheap.

Best quality, transparent, mic preamps for under 9?spdif usb | eBay
I dig that ART Voice Channel, but it only has one channel/preamp. I wonder if I could use another piece of equipment to patch-in two, or three, mics into the single input on the Voice Channel.

Is that possible?

I didn't really want something that would color my sound, but a bit of tube wouldn't bother me at all.

I'm still also considering the UA Apollo, and the ID22. They're both more than I need in terms of inputs - I only need two mic pres - but they both have great features.

I'm also looking at the Grace m101. I could send the signal through a decent channel strip with compression, EQ etc., and into my Mac.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

hi adamsn...

I browsed through this thread and I'm not sure there may be a misunderstanding in what you are looking for. Most USB interfaces will have mic preamps with phantom power already built into them and would be usable without an additional external preamp. You could optionally use an external preamp to provide a bit of coloration to a mic or additional gain if the interface preamps don't have quite enough. You mentioned a channel strip which also could be used in front of an interface and would have the added benefit of compression and EQ if it so equipped. Either the external preamp or channel strip would connect to a line in input of an interface, usually through a "balanced" XLR or 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable.

To reiterate, you do not need an extra mic preamp to use the RE320, the preamp that's in the interface should be adequate, although the Cloudlifter could be used to provide additional gain if needed.

Without an external preamp....
RE320 >> (optional Cloudlifter) >> Mic Input of USB Interface >> Computer

With an external preamp....
RE320 >> Mic Preamp or Channel Strip >> Line Input of USB Interface >> Computer

Where you think you may need multiple mic inputs, I'm sort of thinking an interface such as this one might fit the bill....
Steinberg UR44 | Sweetwater.com

Steinbergs site....
UR44

UR44 Manual...... http://download.steinberg.net/downlo...nManual_en.pdf

The UR44 interface appears to have a software channel strip with compression and EQ which may be useful. I do like the fact that it uses a wallwart power supply, so the unit isn't an extra load on the the computers USB.

I don't have any personal experience with the Steinberg products, but have seen them recommended.
Old 11th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
hi adamsn...

I browsed through this thread and I'm not sure there may be a misunderstanding in what you are looking for. Most USB interfaces will have mic preamps with phantom power already built into them and would be usable without an additional external preamp. You could optionally use an external preamp to provide a bit of coloration to a mic or additional gain if the interface preamps don't have quite enough. You mentioned a channel strip which also could be used in front of an interface and would have the added benefit of compression and EQ if it so equipped. Either the external preamp or channel strip would connect to a line in input of an interface, usually through a "balanced" XLR or 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable.

To reiterate, you do not need an extra mic preamp to use the RE320, the preamp that's in the interface should be adequate, although the Cloudlifter could be used to provide additional gain if needed.

Without an external preamp....
RE320 >> (optional Cloudlifter) >> Mic Input >> USB Interface >> Computer

With an external preamp....
RE320 >> Mic Preamp or Channel Strip >> Line Input >> USB Interface >> Computer

Where you think you may need multiple mic inputs, I'm sort of thinking an interface such as this one might fit the bill....
Steinberg UR44 | Sweetwater.com

Steinbergs site....
UR44

UR44 Manual...... http://download.steinberg.net/downlo...nManual_en.pdf

The UR44 interface appears to have a software channel strip with compression and EQ which may be useful. I do like the fact that it uses a wallwart power supply, so the unit isn't an extra load on the the computers USB.

I don't have any personal experience with the Steinberg products, but have seen them recommended.
Thanks for the detailed response Mark, I really appreciate it. I admit I hadn't yet considered all of the options available.

Since I've always done pre-recorded podcasting/voice over, I've never had much of a reason to look at DSP technology where one mixes multiple signals, and applies effects in an external hardware device controlled, in part, by software on the computer. That's new to me.

Now that I've watched videos of the Apollo Twin at work I understand how these devices would help me easily apply basic compression, eq, limiting, etc., and send that 'mixed' signal into Mac's core audio and out through a YouTube, or Ustream live feed.

I assume the UR44 works similarly, but it appears to be limited in regard to FX plugins, and doesn't appear to have as high-quality preamps as the other devices I'm looking at. Then again, I may be wrong. The UR44 allows you to use their built in 'channel fx', or apply fx in a DAW. However, you can't apply the effects in your DAW while recording/streaming live. At least that's how I understand it.

The Apollo Twin lets you apply effects in your DAW live, with virtually no latency, as I understand it. I believe this is possible due to the two way full-speed connection available through Thunderbolt.

Am I all wrong?
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

So, you want a great Mic Pre with USB?

MixPre-D Compact Field Mixer | Sound Devices, LLC

as close to Bullet proof, as there is & its portable too.

or, if you can find a used one of these you could save a few bucks:

The USBPre Microphone Interface for Computer Audio | Sound Devices, LLC
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I'd really go with an Apogee, then.
I would second this. A Duet 2 is USB and is great sound with a by good Mic Pre. I actually use it's bigger brother the Quartet
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search