The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for Good, Cheap Line Mixer(s) Digital Converters
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
Fair enough, but I assume then that you wouldn't say that there is a noticeably degraded signal due to the A-D/D-A process?
As compared to what?

The ADA8000 and its newer sibling the ADA8200 work by sending all channels from the XLR and TRS inputs on front of the unit through the digital converter and out only through the ADAT OUT port; you cannot bypass the converters to send direct analogue out the output XLRs; all I've done is send the ADAT OUT information back into the unit by looping the optical cable from "ADAT OUT" back to "ADAT IN" and setting the machine to "Master" and at its highest conversion: 48 kHz.

One would not be able to compare it to anything other than a similar unit that works in the same fashion.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
As compared to what?
1) Take a line-level signal and run it straight into a DAW.
2) Run the same line-level signal through the ADA (preamp gain on "zero") and then into the same DAW.

I believe that this should tell you all you need to know about any quality loss in the AD/DA process.
Old 28th September 2014
Quote:
1) Take a line-level signal and run it straight into a DAW.
2) Run the same line-level signal through the ADA (preamp gain on "zero") and then into the same DAW.

I believe that this should tell you all you need to know about any quality loss in the AD/DA process.
Every piece of gear, from a microphone, to a preamp, to a console, to a D/A converter, that one could use will alter/colour/change the sound as it moves from one component to another; your 'test" is unnecessary, as it doesn't really prove anything useful in day to day recording. If the D/A conversion was simply awful, it would not be in my rig.

Does the gear work?
Does the gear sound good?
Does the gear help me achieve my goals?
Does the gear hinder me in any way?

These are the questions one should concern oneself with if the idea is to make better recordings.
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Every piece of gear, from a microphone, to a preamp, to a console, to a D/A converter, that one could use will alter/colour/change the sound as it moves from one component to another; your 'test" is unnecessary, as it doesn't really prove anything useful in day to day recording.
I disagree that it would not prove anything useful. We all know (or should know) that ears rapidly adjust to sound quality in such a way that even lousy signals start to sound normal to us pretty quickly. Doing a test like this answers basic questions such as:

Is the signal worse for wear, having gone through the ADA? Does it sound the same or not? Does the user like the processed signal better or worse (for a particular application or in general) than the original? Better or worse than another preamp or converter?

Simple. Bottom line, there's an easy way to compare the original signal versus the ADA-processed signal.
Old 29th September 2014
Quote:
I disagree that it would not prove anything useful. We all know (or should know) that ears rapidly adjust to sound quality in such a way that even lousy signals start to sound normal to us pretty quickly. Doing a test like this answers basic questions such as:

Is the signal worse for wear, having gone through the ADA? Does it sound the same or not? Does the user like the processed signal better or worse (for a particular application or in general) than the original? Better or worse than another preamp or converter?

Simple. Bottom line, there's an easy way to compare the original signal versus the ADA-processed signal.
Shoot-outs are a waste of time; using gear and discovering its weaknesses and strengths during tracking is key. I know what my gear can and cannot do from using it in this manner.

Besides, in order to go "straight into the DAW" as you allege, still requires some form of conversion whether it is the computer, a soundcard, or some other converter to turn it into zeroes and ones from the original electric signal.

Recordings don't exist in a vacuum; you don't "hear the gear" in any of my recordings so the idea the signal is "degraded" when going from analogue to digital and then back again makes no sense to me; I don't spend my days staring at sinewaves to see if the gear translated the 18kHz in a test tone properly or not; I rely on my ears to tell me whether or not the chosen gear is fulfilling my intended purpose. My intended purpose is always for the benefit of the song and that alone. Nothing else.

In any event, you've made up your mind as to what you want to use (you posted earlier: I've used Behringer, and I'm deliberately keeping it out of my signal chain so I don't understand why you'd want me to do a bunch of useless tests for you in order to satisfy or even attempt to disprove your current expectation bias.

Purchase what makes you happy and get back to recording. I'm not here to sell you on anything nor am I here to prove anything; I gave you my opinion, you've rejected it and now we could simply move on.

Tell us what your solution was, and perhaps how it has worked for you.
Old 30th September 2014
Lives for gear

A little defensive?

Quote:
Tell us what your solution was, and perhaps how it has worked for you.
Actually I'm still waiting on your A/B test. Please hurry! I need to record.
Old 2nd October 2014
Quote:
A little defensive?

Actually I'm still waiting on your A/B test. Please hurry! I need to record.

Not defensive at all; I gave you my opinion, you went with what works for you, and that's fine. Opinions are worth every penny that you paid for them.

And I don't do shootouts or A/B tests. I use what I have and make it work for me. If it doesn't work, then it is put up for sale.
Old 6th October 2014
Lives for gear

FTR, I went for a SM Pro Audio PR8e (used, shipped for $130), and it's working fine. Basically exactly what I needed.
Old 6th October 2014
Gear Guru

cool. SM Pro has some cool gear, I've got two of their things.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search