The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of the Alesis Quadraverb? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

What do you think of the Alesis Quadraverb?

I was thinking of getting a quadraverb 2 to use mainly with my electric guitar for funny effects - flanger, echo, bit of distortion, bit of reverb.

And then I thought since I'm getting stuff I might just get something that I'd be using in audio productions too, for whatever funny effect I might be needing, so...

Do you guys think I could put an Alesis Quadraverb 2 to use?
Would its effects sound better than the ones in other gear for around the same price?
Is it actually a versatile/useful unit or it plain sucks?
Is the quadraverb 2 worth the price over the standard quadraverb - around €250 vs around €120?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I think its great for shoegaze stuff.
Old 24th July 2014
My alltime most unfavorite reverb unit, hands down. Just my opinion. Band member used it with his guitar rig back in the 80s and it sounded fine there. Once I needed an addtional verb during a mix and I blew chunks after patching it in. We also threw on a midi verb and that sounded less worse to me.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I have 2 Quadraverbs. One is the original model, and the other is a Quadraverb Plus. I've had them for around 20 years. Both still are going strong......but these days I only use them on electric guitar. They have some good flanger, phaser, and tremelo etc effects in them. The reverbs are good for guitar or other instruments, but those days there are better software reverbs for vocals etc than these old boxes. Still..I have no intention of ever getting rid of mine.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

if quadraverb was a crop, it would be grain
Old 24th July 2014
Deleted 86c3d96
What I hated as an original Quadraverb owner were all those SPX 90 owners looking down their nose at me. "Here's a nickel, kid, get a real reverb."
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
I have 2 Quadraverbs. One is the original model, and the other is a Quadraverb Plus. I've had them for around 20 years. Both still are going strong......but these days I only use them on electric guitar. They have some good flanger, phaser, and tremelo etc effects in them. The reverbs are good for guitar or other instruments, but those days there are better software reverbs for vocals etc than these old boxes. Still..I have no intention of ever getting rid of mine.
Yup, strictly for guitar.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Head

Useless for EDM I tried one and axed it fast. Personally I found it very gritty and no decent tails.

Quote:
but those days there are better software reverbs for vocals etc than these old boxes.
100% Agree. for EDM Virsyn Terra, 2 C Audio Aether, IK Classic Reverb.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I have a Quadraverb and use it once in a while. In its day it was a pretty awesome piece of gear. It's a little bit dated and not as quiet/flexible as a lot of the modern processors but seeing as how you can get one for $30-$40 there are worse products out there if that's your thing.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

I still use my Quadraverb 2 all the time. A few years ago I bought an Eventide Space thinking it would replace my Q2. It didn't. You can get great sounds from the Q2 and if you like to tweak there are endless options.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my Quadraverb (original, not Q2). For some reason my Quadraverb is continuously sending out a midi signal on its midi output jack. I know because the light on my midi interface lights up continuously. I've tried looking at a midi monitor in Logic but it's not showing any messages.

I've turned the midi thru off in the Quadraverb settings but that doesn't help. Do all Quadraverbs do this? I hope someone can check, it'll only take a couple minutes!
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

I have a Q/Verb plus sitting in the fx loop of a Marshall JMP1 midi pre (Being fed by the workhorse Ibanez RG no less), for those rare moments when I want to revert to being a 17 y/o wannabe early 90's metal god. Sometimes its just gotta be done. Haven't found it much chop for recording though. Wouldn't pay more than AU$80 for one tho.....
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

I have two of the original Q-verbs. I used to use one in my live guitar rig along with an ADA MP1 preamp. I still use them for console-based aux send headphone mixes verb and delay during tracking with my home recording rig.
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
I was thinking of getting a quadraverb 2 to use mainly with my electric guitar for funny effects - flanger, echo, bit of distortion, bit of reverb.

And then I thought since I'm getting stuff I might just get something that I'd be using in audio productions too, for whatever funny effect I might be needing, so...

Do you guys think I could put an Alesis Quadraverb 2 to use?
Would its effects sound better than the ones in other gear for around the same price?
Is it actually a versatile/useful unit or it plain sucks?
Is the quadraverb 2 worth the price over the standard quadraverb - around €250 vs around €120?
It was a terrible sounding piece of crap when it came out. The only reason it sold was because it was $495 and the only competition with steam was the LXP1 and the LXP5 and SPX90.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Addict

I use a QV regularly and love it but never for reverb. You can find much better reverb options these days, and very cheaply. For chorus, delay, and pitch shift I find it gives a great, thick, dirty quality that I love.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

The line of Alesis reverbs were spectacular for the time, for any guitarists who wanted something that sounded semi studio like when making demos or even live. Same with the Tascam cassette recordists looking for a little sheen in their basement records.

However, the real gift that Alesis gave us was the 3630 compressor!

Now that should be in the rock n roll Hall of Fame!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone check on that midi thing I mentioned?
Old 29th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
The line of Alesis reverbs were spectacular for the time, for any guitarists who wanted something that sounded semi studio like when making demos or even live. Same with the Tascam cassette recordists looking for a little sheen in their basement records.

However, the real gift that Alesis gave us was the 3630 compressor!

Now that should be in the rock n roll Hall of Fame!
They were cheap. They were not spectacular. They sounded like ass.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Get them both. You can never have too many crazy effects if sound design and experimenting is your thing.

But I feel €250 is too much to pay for one of these. Be patient, and try to find a USA seller on ebay willing to ship to Italy... you might find a great deal if you check often.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCMe View Post
They were cheap. They were not spectacular. They sounded like ass.
Tell me how you really feel........
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

I've had an original QuadraVerb (w/ the EPROM update to make it a QuadraVerb+) since 1989. Bought it for my live bass rig because I needed some flanging, chorusing, and other swampy ear candy. After I stopped dragging racks of gear on gigs, I moved the QuadraVerb to my project studio, where it remains to this day. It's not the best 'verb in the house, but it's not the worst...and it's wonderfully efficient at cobbling together sparkly dense ambient goo quickly and effectively.

If I had two of them they'd both get used; if I didn't have any it would not be missed. How's that for damning with faint praise?
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
What I hated as an original Quadraverb owner were all those SPX 90 owners looking down their nose at me. "Here's a nickel, kid, get a real reverb."

Muahahahahaaaaa
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

I had the QuadraVerb built-into the Alesis QS 6.2 ROMpler. Of course built into a ROMpler the interface wasn't as good as a standalone would be, but I also agree that the tails/decays were substandard and would fade nicely up until a noticeable point where it would just drop out and fade way too quickly, so it wasn't subtle and it wasn't professional sounding. Also some of the reverbs were kind of noisey if not filtered which tended to make them sound too dark.

I used to own a Digitech S-100 and that was much much nicer; but I have no idea where to find those anymore. Also, even an old-timey Zoom 1202 has pretty good presets, so costwise you could even go lower if you needed to.
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Head

Saw one for sale at a used music shop down the block for like $50...went home and hooked it up...walked back to the music shop returned the quadraverb bought a bunch of cheap danelectro guitar pedals (around $10 each) all of which were much better than the quadraverb.

I was hoping to use it for recording which was fruitless and didn't test it much on guitar.
Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear

Just about every piece of gear has some kind of use. If the price is good, why not?
Only one real loser comes to mind and that is the Alesis 3630 compressor. That thing was so bad, even I couldn't find a use for it.

Just my opinion so don't kill me if you love that beast
Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bguzaldo View Post

bought a bunch of cheap danelectro guitar pedals (around $10 each) all of which were much better than the quadraverb.

sure....
Old 25th December 2014
Here for the gear

There is one preset inside the QV that brings a mono dirty elec gtr into the forfront of a mix better than anything else I have heard in the analog or digital world.
Old 25th December 2014
strictly for guitar or as an emergency delay.
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

The Quadraverb requires some tweaking to get the best sounds out of it. I mainly use my original Qverb for echo effects but the chorus and flange can also be fun and add body to a sound.

Personally I think hardware units like this are seasoning, you don't use them on everything but if you know how to use it, then you choose to use it at the appropriate moment.

I've used it on vocals, guitars, drums, keyboards, it is really a matter of whether you know what the parameter functions are and how they affect the sound.

In a world of "presets" where users choose from 1000's of done configurations the Qverb is not that friendly because it has a limited number of program locations.

If Qverb does not work for you, that's cool. Personally i always was disappointed by the Lexicon LXP1 and 5 (I had both and a couple of MRC, hard to use and not intuitive).

I have a few Qverb presets that I use on rock tunes, they add a lot of body and fullness, never had a problem with the graininess of the sound either.

For the prices you can buy these for used it's a great toy to learn with.

Cheers and good music to all!
Old 27th December 2014
Here for the gear

I loved my old quadraverb. Dark thick reverbs, decent delays. Cool pitch modulation.

I was missing mine a few weeks ago so I hit up my dad and took his off of him and bought the upgrade chip for $20. I should install it sometime this week.
All the love/hate about that 3630 too. It was useful for wilder compression and gating and not too much else for me, but it found a second life in my dad's studio to help his bass recording.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search