The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ELAM 251 and U87 Clones
Old 10th May 2014
Gear Addict

ELAM 251 and U87 Clones

have any of you tried these clones?
they're modeled after the U87 and ELAM 251.

ELAM 251 and U87 Clones3UAUDIO Teal CM1 Matched Pair Condenser Microphones Mic Similar Sound to ELAM251 | eBay

ELAM 251 and U87 ClonesAmazing Sound Neumann Style Bla B U87 Microphone Shock Mount U87 Circuit | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
ELAM 251 and U87 Clones-1elam-clones.jpg   ELAM 251 and U87 Clones-1bla.jpg  
Old 15th March 2016
Old 16th March 2016
Gear Maniac

The CM-1 Teal is a 3U Audio Mic

There are two forums threads about these mics on GearSlutz.

Below is what I have read and heard others say about these microphones, the commentary is not mine. I compiled the info for my own use, but think it is useful for others to get a sense of these mics. I have purchased 5 of these mics so far. Very pleased with all of them.

3UAudio.com
Guosheng Zhuang, Director
W: 3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones | E: [email protected]
ABN 82 158 441 804

IMPORTANT: Contact Guosheng using the email above for the best prices. The prices direct from him are a little less than they are on his website and eBay store. The prices include shipping and there are no customs fees to the US. It takes about 7-10 days to get form China to the US. It could take longer depending on how long US Customs holds the package.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their budget microphones are the CM-1 and it comes in Teal (ELAM 251 type) and Black (u87 type). These have a -8db and -16db pad, a high pass filter (bass roll-off) and uses a cardioid pattern.

Teal CM-1 - edge-terminated capsule (251), transformer-less FET output, cardioid only
Black CM-1 - center-terminated capsule (87), transformer-less FET output, cardioid only

The next level up are the Warbler mics. All Warbler mics have 3 voices, each voice is progressively warmer than the other. They use a cardioid pattern and have -10db pad and a high pass filter (bass roll-off) switches. The Warblers also come in a D version which has all of the same features of the Warbler but adds two extra patterns, omni and figure of 8. If you don’t need the omni or figure of 8 patterns then you can save money by getting the non-D version of the Warbler.

The next level up is the GZ series. They have a -10db pad, high pass filter (bass roll-off) switches, and omni, cardioid, and figure of 8 patterns. All use dual-diaphragm capsule (67/251/47/M49) - FET w/ American-made AMI transformer-coupled output.

The next level up are their tube versions of the GZ series that comes with a power supply.

They also sell a shock mount that fits both the Warbler and GZ series mics.

Teal CM-1:
ELAM 251 inspired mic

Black CM-1:
U87 inspired mic

Warbler MK I / MK I D:
Airy, sounds like vintage U87.

The MKID is very U87ish. Low mid beef, mid forward in general. The MKID is more muscular sounding than the GZ67. Sort of an assertive, classic sound. It's just really U87-y. For my uses, I prefer the MKID on my voice because my voice is bright and benefits from the weight the MKID adds. The MKID's absolutely kill on drum room. Smash 'em with an 1176 and they have ZERO fizz up top. Just controlled beefiness.

Warbler MKI - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only
Warbler MKID - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output, multi-pattern

GZ67fet:
Falls in somewhere between a U67 and a 70's U87...M269 comes to mind. GZ67fet continues to impress, used it today on a female gospel singer and it really delivered the character of her alto voice..."smoooove"!

The GZ67 is kind of it's own animal. I believe it's tailored after the M269. Anyway, it's got a little more air up top than the MKID and it's got less of a prominent low mid kinda bump. It also has a touch more detail in general, transient wise than the MKID. When I do drums, I use the GZ67's for OH. The GZ67's are tighter in the bottom end and offer great detail on OH. They're kind of a velvety sounding mic to me. On guitars I always use the GZ67, acoustic or electric. My favorite on acoustic is a GZ67 in front of the neck body joint and a Teal CM-1 over my right shoulder. Best acoustic sounds I've ever gotten.

Warbler MK II / MK II D and GZ47fet:
Smooth and balanced, sounds like vintage U47

Warbler MK II - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only
Warbler MKIID - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled output, multi-pattern

GZ47fet V:
Smoother than GZ47fet, sounds like vintage M49. The GZ47fet V is better for dynamic female vocals where you want to tame any strident qualities, adding a more velvety texture, or possibly horns or violin which can also demonstrate strident qualities.

GZ74:
Solid State Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone, w/Omni, Cardioid and Hypercardioid capsules.

Warbler MK III:
Warm and bright, sounds like vintage C12. The MK III is voiced like the classic C12 (slightly scooped mids with good low/low-mid response and nice clear top-end), and works nicely on some female voices and really well on drum overheads. If your key application is going to be vocals, the MK IV may be the better choice, but if you want to do room micing and overheads, and some vocals, the MK III could be the mic for you, both have their strong points, and these are very generalized descriptions.

Warbler MK III - edge-terminated capsule (C12) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only

Warbler MK IV / MK IV D and GZ251fet:
Warm and airy, sounds like vintage ELAM 251. The MK IV is voiced like the ELAM 251 (has the low-end but with a bit more mids and nice air on top) and works better on a broad range of voices. Like the classic 251, the MKIV trades off some high-end from the MKIII (C12) for a bit more upper-mid push, while still retaining the air on top. That's the beauty of that voicing, it's not dark, it's just not bright. That’s a voicing rarely heard in this price category.

Warbler MK IV - edge-terminated capsule (251) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only

Warbler MK V / MK V D:
Warm and smooth, a little tight, sounds like smoother or darker ELAM251. The voicing of the MK V is quite unique and while it might border on the dark side of a 251, it has a voicing that responds almost ribbon/dynamic like.

Warbler MK V - edge-terminated capsule (*dark) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only

Warbler MK VI / MK VI D:
This is how he describes the voicing options on the new MKVI:
V1 - This is the brightest setting, with the intent of offering Sony C800g-like presence (the C800g is on a lot of R&B, Hip Hop, Rap vocals). V2 - This setting is a brighter voicing of the MKI, possibly more U87Ai-like. V3 - This setting would be closest to the MKI in voice position 1. So if you had both the MK VI and MK I you could go from MK VI voice 1 to voice 3 and then MKI voice 1 to voice 3 and have a variation from the brightest to the darkest.
Old 16th March 2016
Gear Nut
Great summary dragonfly66. Thanks
Old 16th March 2016
Gear Nut
Excellent summary dragonfly.
Old 16th March 2016
Thanks Dragonfly. I have been trying to wrap my brain around the posts and your summary helped that a lot. I had read all you wrote in the 68 page thread but your summary made it make more sense for me. FYI I ordered a matched set of CM1-teals two days ago.
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumslinger View Post
Excellent summary dragonfly.
+1

But you might want to have a look at this part:

Quote:
GZ47fet V:
Smoother than GZ47fet V, ...
Old 17th March 2016
Gear Maniac

I corrected it, thanks
Old 19th June 2016
The Warbler MK VI is the one for you. Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
The CM-1 Teal is a 3U Audio Mic

There are two forums threads about these mics on GearSlutz.

Below is what I have read and heard others say about these microphones, the commentary is not mine. I compiled the info for my own use, but think it is useful for others to get a sense of these mics. I have purchased 5 of these mics so far. Very pleased with all of them.

3UAudio.com
Guosheng Zhuang, Director
W: 3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones | E: [email protected]
ABN 82 158 441 804

IMPORTANT: Contact Guosheng using the email above for the best prices. The prices direct from him are a little less than they are on his website and eBay store. The prices include shipping and there are no customs fees to the US. It takes about 7-10 days to get form China to the US. It could take longer depending on how long US Customs holds the package.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their budget microphones are the CM-1 and it comes in Teal (ELAM 251 type) and Black (u87 type). These have a -8db and -16db pad, a high pass filter (bass roll-off) and uses a cardioid pattern.

Teal CM-1 - edge-terminated capsule (251), transformer-less FET output, cardioid only
Black CM-1 - center-terminated capsule (87), transformer-less FET output, cardioid only

The next level up are the Warbler mics. All Warbler mics have 3 voices, each voice is progressively warmer than the other. They use a cardioid pattern and have -10db pad and a high pass filter (bass roll-off) switches. The Warblers also come in a D version which has all of the same features of the Warbler but adds two extra patterns, omni and figure of 8. If you don’t need the omni or figure of 8 patterns then you can save money by getting the non-D version of the Warbler.

The next level up is the GZ series. They have a -10db pad, high pass filter (bass roll-off) switches, and omni, cardioid, and figure of 8 patterns. All use dual-diaphragm capsule (67/251/47/M49) - FET w/ American-made AMI transformer-coupled output.

The next level up are their tube versions of the GZ series that comes with a power supply.

They also sell a shock mount that fits both the Warbler and GZ series mics.

Teal CM-1:
ELAM 251 inspired mic

Black CM-1:
U87 inspired mic

Warbler MK I / MK I D:
Airy, sounds like vintage U87.

The MKID is very U87ish. Low mid beef, mid forward in general. The MKID is more muscular sounding than the GZ67. Sort of an assertive, classic sound. It's just really U87-y. For my uses, I prefer the MKID on my voice because my voice is bright and benefits from the weight the MKID adds. The MKID's absolutely kill on drum room. Smash 'em with an 1176 and they have ZERO fizz up top. Just controlled beefiness.

Warbler MKI - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only
Warbler MKID - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output, multi-pattern

GZ67fet:
Falls in somewhere between a U67 and a 70's U87...M269 comes to mind. GZ67fet continues to impress, used it today on a female gospel singer and it really delivered the character of her alto voice..."smoooove"!

The GZ67 is kind of it's own animal. I believe it's tailored after the M269. Anyway, it's got a little more air up top than the MKID and it's got less of a prominent low mid kinda bump. It also has a touch more detail in general, transient wise than the MKID. When I do drums, I use the GZ67's for OH. The GZ67's are tighter in the bottom end and offer great detail on OH. They're kind of a velvety sounding mic to me. On guitars I always use the GZ67, acoustic or electric. My favorite on acoustic is a GZ67 in front of the neck body joint and a Teal CM-1 over my right shoulder. Best acoustic sounds I've ever gotten.

Warbler MK II / MK II D and GZ47fet:
Smooth and balanced, sounds like vintage U47

Warbler MK II - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only
Warbler MKIID - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled output, multi-pattern

GZ47fet V:
Smoother than GZ47fet, sounds like vintage M49. The GZ47fet V is better for dynamic female vocals where you want to tame any strident qualities, adding a more velvety texture, or possibly horns or violin which can also demonstrate strident qualities.

GZ74:
Solid State Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone, w/Omni, Cardioid and Hypercardioid capsules.

Warbler MK III:
Warm and bright, sounds like vintage C12. The MK III is voiced like the classic C12 (slightly scooped mids with good low/low-mid response and nice clear top-end), and works nicely on some female voices and really well on drum overheads. If your key application is going to be vocals, the MK IV may be the better choice, but if you want to do room micing and overheads, and some vocals, the MK III could be the mic for you, both have their strong points, and these are very generalized descriptions.

Warbler MK III - edge-terminated capsule (C12) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only

Warbler MK IV / MK IV D and GZ251fet:
Warm and airy, sounds like vintage ELAM 251. The MK IV is voiced like the ELAM 251 (has the low-end but with a bit more mids and nice air on top) and works better on a broad range of voices. Like the classic 251, the MKIV trades off some high-end from the MKIII (C12) for a bit more upper-mid push, while still retaining the air on top. That's the beauty of that voicing, it's not dark, it's just not bright. That’s a voicing rarely heard in this price category.

Warbler MK IV - edge-terminated capsule (251) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only

Warbler MK V / MK V D:
Warm and smooth, a little tight, sounds like smoother or darker ELAM251. The voicing of the MK V is quite unique and while it might border on the dark side of a 251, it has a voicing that responds almost ribbon/dynamic like.

Warbler MK V - edge-terminated capsule (*dark) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output, cardioid only

Warbler MK VI / MK VI D:
This is how he describes the voicing options on the new MKVI:
V1 - This is the brightest setting, with the intent of offering Sony C800g-like presence (the C800g is on a lot of R&B, Hip Hop, Rap vocals). V2 - This setting is a brighter voicing of the MKI, possibly more U87Ai-like. V3 - This setting would be closest to the MKI in voice position 1. So if you had both the MK VI and MK I you could go from MK VI voice 1 to voice 3 and then MKI voice 1 to voice 3 and have a variation from the brightest to the darkest.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search