The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Samson Media One 5a bass distortion
Old 17th April 2014
Here for the gear

Samson Media One 5a bass distortion

Hello, i've recently bought Samson Media One 5a studio monitors after reading many positive reviews, and they're really big bang for the buck and sound pretty decent to my ears. But there's one thing that has been molesting me.

The bass tend to crackle at high volumes. I thought that they could handle the bass when volume knob is just turned a bit past the middle (like past 60%) since they have 5' woofers.

So i wanted to know if there's anyone there using this monitors and if they're able to get past the middle on the volume knob without bass distorting or this is as loud as i can go on these puppies and generally on a 5' woofer??

thnx in advance and your input is appreciated
Old 17th April 2014
Here for the gear

After trying some bassy songs i've come to the conclusion that the woofers vibrates too much thus producing the distortion, so i think that is safe to assume that this is as far as they can go.. higher volume just makes them vibrate too much (the rubber part of the speaker)
Old 21st April 2014
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 22nd April 2014
I had the 4a's and I could push them pretty hard without any distortion, but I don't really listen to bass heavy stuff like rap or EDM. They were also on my desk about 3 feet from my ears, I imagine they'd sound pretty ****ty if you were listening in a big room.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

I've got the 5A's. Bought the pair for 85 bucks. Love them! I have no issues with bass distorting. Sounds like a woofer might be going out on you.
Old 23rd April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
I've got the 5A's. Bought the pair for 85 bucks. Love them! I have no issues with bass distorting. Sounds like a woofer might be going out on you.
Are you able to set volume knob past ~60%-70% without getting distortion in a bassy song? like any bassy EDM music?

I've tried to hook my cellphone to AUX jack and ive tried the same songs and they all distort when the volume is loud in these monitors (past 60% knob)

It seems i cannot push the volume any further than knob turned in ~60%-70% without getting audible distortion in mids or bass... tweeter can be pushed till max volume without disortion though..

PS: Windows volume is set at 66% and player volume is set to max
PS2: I have a creative soundblaster and also a rme interface but they both get equal results with volume so thats not the problem
Attached Thumbnails
Samson Media One 5a bass distortion-sin-titulo.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not sure. I don't like blasting my mixes so I've never tried cranking it that loud. Honestly, you get better sounding mixes when you listen back and mix at lower volumes, which is what these monitors were designed for. I have to ask why you're blasting your mixes in the first place. You're only fooling your ears when you attempt to mix with your monitors cranked!
Old 24th April 2014
Here for the gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
I'm not sure. I don't like blasting my mixes so I've never tried cranking it that loud. Honestly, you get better sounding mixes when you listen back and mix at lower volumes, which is what these monitors were designed for. I have to ask why you're blasting your mixes in the first place. You're only fooling your ears when you attempt to mix with your monitors cranked!
I never mix with such volumes, I just wanted to be sure that they are working fine. And it seems they are working just fine and that is a mere limitation that a small monitor can deliver like in this case.

I love these budget monitors, and i love how they sound truthfully to my ears
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

You should not turn your monitors up over around 55% the Samson 5a's have a 2000 hz deficit at the low end. Go figure. They are not full range!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Well they're 5 inches. That's the reason for bass distortion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search