The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using outboard FX with an Audient ID22 Audio Interfaces
Old 8th March 2014
Using outboard FX with an Audient ID22

Hi guys. Basically I'm trying to send audio (drums for example) out of my iD22 on outputs 3/4 (1/2 are my main speaker outs) and then I'm going back into the interface on inputs 1/2 with some outboard FX going through the send and returns. This works fine when I'm sending a incoming signal such as a synth/mic etc. However it does not register the iD22 outputs, bit confusing!

I have also gone out on the outputs 3/4 directly into my outboard FX and tried too return on the Audient's inputs and also onto the return inputs. No luck.

So.. have I done something wrong in the iD22 software or is this just not possible on this unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im loaning some gear for the weekend and can't really use it much at this stage.

Many thanks!
Old 30th March 2014
What you are trying to do is definitely possible, as I am doing it... Check your connections. I once did plug in a mic and was super confused as to why I wasn't getting signal with the gain knob pegged. I left the plugs hanging off the unit's insert return jacks, which bypass preamps and hit ad directly. When something is plugged in to those jacks the preamps (and D.I.) are bypassed PERIOD, and the signal(or lack of) then coming through those wires on the return is what you are monitoring and hitting tape with.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Head

Same problem I'm having mate
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Hello,

If you need some help please contact us directly at:

[email protected].

We are happy to help resolve any issues and will make sure you are up and running as fast as possible.

Thanks,
Andy @ Audient
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Hi All,

I thought I'd answer this one here seeing as though we have a number of users requesting help.

First up let me assume that you are NOT using Pro Tools hardware inserts and you are just creating a manual loopback via hardware so that you can play out through and print back from different channels in your DAW.

You need to send your DRUMS to out 3-4 in your DAW. This should show up on PURPLE channels DAW 3-4 in the iD mixer (metering).

Of course what you don't want to do is send that to your main speaker outputs by using the iD mixer. So mute or kill the fader on DAW 3-4, you'll still see the meters.

Open the iD system panel and go to the matrix. Select the right hand most column (DAW Mix) for outputs 3-4. This bypasses the iD mixer and "just a patchbay half normal" sends the signal directly to the DA converters 3-4 at whatever level you send from your DAW (i.e just like a standalone converter).

Connect jacks 3-4 to your outboard processing (analogue) and route the output of your outboard into insert return jacks 1&2 or combi line inputs if you want variable gain control.

The return from your outboard is now feeding iD AD converters 1&2.

From here you have two ways to monitor the signal. You can either turn up the iD mixer BLUE channel faders for inputs 1 & 2 and go via our low latency DSP mixer direct to your main mix (blended with DAW 1 & 2 playback) and out to your speakers via DAC1&2 for example (if out 1-2 are set as your main mix in the matrix as you say they are).

Monitoring the return path in the iD mixer means that you'll not want software monitoring on when you record/print the processing back into the DAW (or yo'll hear it twice).

I do this quite a bit for 2-bus processing but actually do not monitor the return via the DSP mixer. I just create a track in my DAW called PRINT and set its input to 1-2 and output to 1-2. I record enable it and monitor/capture the processed signal here.

Of course all of the above can be done with DIGITAL outboard processing using the ADAT/SPDIF i/o in the same way.

Just keep an eye on the matrix and your channels in the DAW.

If you are using Pro Tools and need to use Hardware Inserts for example - then you should use outputs 3-4 as your main mix speaker output and then setup 1-2 inputs and outputs in the insert menu of Setup >i.o in PT as it must send and return from the same channel numbers as far as I'm aware.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
-Tom
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamakay View Post
Same problem I'm having mate
Read my post. You must unplug inserts. This has to be the problem...
Old 16th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hi All,

I thought I'd answer this one here seeing as though we have a number of users requesting help.

First up let me assume that you are NOT using Pro Tools hardware inserts and you are just creating a manual loopback via hardware so that you can play out through and print back from different channels in your DAW.

You need to send your DRUMS to out 3-4 in your DAW. This should show up on PURPLE channels DAW 3-4 in the iD mixer (metering).

Of course what you don't want to do is send that to your main speaker outputs by using the iD mixer. So mute or kill the fader on DAW 3-4, you'll still see the meters.

Open the iD system panel and go to the matrix. Select the right hand most column (DAW Mix) for outputs 3-4. This bypasses the iD mixer and "just a patchbay half normal" sends the signal directly to the DA converters 3-4 at whatever level you send from your DAW (i.e just like a standalone converter).

Connect jacks 3-4 to your outboard processing (analogue) and route the output of your outboard into insert return jacks 1&2 or combi line inputs if you want variable gain control.

From here you have two ways to monitor the signal. You can either turn up the iD mixer BLUE channel faders for inputs 1 & 2 and go via our low latency DSP mixer direct to your main mix (blended with DAW 1 & 2 playback) and out to your speakers via DAC1&2 for example (if out 1-2 are set as your main mix in the matrix as you say they are).

Monitoring the return path in the iD mixer means that you'll not want software monitoring on when you record/print the processing back into the DAW (or yo'll hear it twice).

I do this quite a bit for 2-bus processing but actually do not monitor the return via the DSP mixer. I just create a track in my DAW called PRINT and set its input to 1-2 and output to 1-2. I record enable it and monitor/capture the processed signal here.

Of course all of the above can be done with DIGITAL outboard processing using the ADAT/SPDIF i/o in the same way.

If you are using Pro Tools and need to use Hardware Inserts for example - then you should use outputs 3-4 as your main mix speaker output and then setup 1-2 inputs and outputs in the insert menu of Setup >i.o in PT as it must send and return from the same channel numbers as far as I'm aware.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
-Tom
Please Tom create a Spanish Manual for spanish customers.
Old 9th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi All,

I hope that helps.

Cheers
-Tom
Unfortunately I am still having what seems to be a similar issue and am starting to wonder whether I have a faulty interface.

I am trying to send a signal (Drum Track .wav) from Ableton and ID22 to a Sherman Filterbank 2 (analogue distortion) then route back in.

I have selected audio to External Out channels 3/4 in Ableton drum track. In the ID22 mixer matrix I have selected Stereo 1+2 Main Mix (My Speakers), Stereo 3+4 DAW Thru (what I want to use to send the drum track to the Sherman) - what was recommended.

I am getting signal on the fader in channel 3+4 of the ID22 mixer software from the drum track - everything looks good. I can turn the fader up down in the ID22 mixer and hear sound coming from my speakers but no signal seems to be going from the interface to the Sherman as it registers no signal.

THE WEIRD PART is that I can unplug my speakers, reroute the drum track to use 1+2 to send to the Sherman and it get's signal fine. Faulty outputs?

Please Help - I'm going insane.
Old 9th August 2016
Here for the gear

and just to update - I have tried switching my speakers to ID22's 3+4 outputs and using them as the main mix (switching Ableton's master outs of course) but it seems I'm just not getting any sound out of 3+4 at all.

Faulty interface?
Old 10th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsLost View Post
and just to update - I have tried switching my speakers to ID22's 3+4 outputs and using them as the main mix (switching Ableton's master outs of course) but it seems I'm just not getting any sound out of 3+4 at all.

Faulty interface?
So Audient tech support were absolutely amazing - got back to me within a day. A combination of reinstalling the ID22 mixer and rebooting the interface fixed it good and proper.

Thanks dude!
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Hi All,

I hope that helps.

Cheers
-Tom
just purchased the iD22 last week, sorry it took sooooo long. but i finally woke-up and realised that iD22 is the ultimate USB audio interface. so i sold my Tascam UH-7000. i did do some research before i purchased that UH-7000 in 2014, i am still wondering how i overlooked audient because i would of purchased it before i purchased the UH-7000. now my neve preamp,real pultec eq, and neve compressor are amazing via insert turn 1&2 . as long as there is driver,firmware,support for future versions of windows operating systems this will be my EXCLUSIVE audio interface in my tracking,mixing,mastering studio.
Old 19th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAJNAIMMOVABLE View Post
just purchased the iD22 last week, sorry it took sooooo long. but i finally woke-up and realised that iD22 is the ultimate USB audio interface. so i sold my Tascam UH-7000. i did do some research before i purchased that UH-7000 in 2014, i am still wondering how i overlooked audient because i would of purchased it before i purchased the UH-7000. now my neve preamp,real pultec eq, and neve compressor are amazing via insert turn 1&2 . as long as there is driver,firmware,support for future versions of windows operating systems this will be my EXCLUSIVE audio interface in my tracking,mixing,mastering studio.
I love iD22.

How does it stack up against the uh7000? That unit's AD/DA spec’s are really good.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Guys simply remember this
-----> Audio Outputs are Sends, Cue, or FX Sends
------< Audio inputs are FX returns or inputs

Create a new track buss it to the Master Outs and then use as an Aux/Bus Send! Blend that track with others and you'll have near an Aux Send/Return!
That simple!
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I love iD22.

How does it stack up against the uh7000? That unit's AD/DA spec’s are really good.
well i recommend the UH-7000 on a professional level, any interface that implements 'Burr-brown' high end converters is going to sound premium.but even on the line in's on the UH-7000 you still went through the preamps on the unit before AD CONVERSION. the reason i switched interfaces was because of monitoring functionality and also the (send/return) options on the iD22. so i now get to hear my analogue neve preamp, pultec eq,neve compressor with 0% coloration from any other sound source at the tracking stage. latency is a much bigger difference with the iD22. and audient ÁLWAYS keep the firmware and drivers for current operating systems up to par. if i was the TRY and get another audio interface and not regret it , it would have to be like the (Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Microphone Preamp and Thunderbolt/USB Interface) $899.00 @ sweetwater.com , well gotta go and get that 'Waves' WLM Plus Loudness Meter @ waves.com . waves got it on sale today for only $29.00, the regular price $299.00 and it is a very much needed tool for tracking,mixing,mastering. bye,bye
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear
What the hell is going on with this thread?

People are coming here for one reason: A SOLUTION

We need to know the fix for sending audio out 3 & 4 though FX and back in

That solution USED to be in this thread,

NOW, all the important stuff has been deleted and there's a bunch of useless posts comparing the ID22 to the Tascam

Take your comparison BS elsewhere, and WHY WAS THE SOLUTION DELETED?

This is very odd behavior on the part of GS, I came here a month ago and got the fix, now it's gone, your reason's for doing that was what?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search