The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR 305 or Equator D5 Studio Monitors
Old 1st May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorrrrrr View Post
I had the Equator D5s, sold them, got the JBL LSR305. No regrets. These are better, to my ears.
JBL lsr sounds hyped. If you want hyped sound , why not go for a hifi ^^
I think equator is better in terms of critical mixing.They are not as adams or higher stuff but they are better the jbl lsr. Even Yamaha hs8 is even flatter than equator i think but the better stereo imaging of equator will help u more. Translationwise equator is better than jbl but find some way to check the balance of low. A decent computer 2.1 speaker like altec lansing or sony will do.
Old 1st May 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
JBL lsr sounds hyped. If you want hyped sound , why not go for a hifi ^^
I think equator is better in terms of critical mixing.They are not as adams or higher stuff but they are better the jbl lsr. Even Yamaha hs8 is even flatter than equator i think but the better stereo imaging of equator will help u more. Translationwise equator is better than jbl but find some way to check the balance of low. A decent computer 2.1 speaker like altec lansing or sony will do.
Agreed, the LSR sound really nice, and that's the key, they sound GOOD and smooth, and that's what people pick in a store what sounds the best (Which is the mistake, need to test in your space and work with a monitor) they can still work fine for mixing/producing just like with any speaker, just have to get use to it, but there are some more detailed/clinical monitors for true accurate sound re production, each to their own on what they like then.
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Head
I recently had one of my Blue Sky Sat 6.5's give out on me so I took a recording that I know very well to Guitar Center. Listening to my song in their room the LSR305 translated the best so I bought some. Out of the box they need some play time to let the tweeter settle but they sound good. Less low mid forward compared to the Blue Sky but I always felt the Blue Sky were too forward in this area. The LSR are less open and detailed than the Sat 6.5 in the high frequency but have a much wider sweet spot. The lows on the LSR are fairly extended but I have a Blue Sky sub 12 which has a built in crossover for the Sat speaker so I plugged the ports on the LSR with acoustic foam and the frequency from both blends very well. I dropped the high frequency trim to -2db and it balance the sound nicely. I also have a pair of Sonodyne SM50AK that are ok but have a strange blur in the midrange, the LSR305 are clearer. For the price I don't see how the 305's can be beat.
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Nut

After one week with my Adam F7's....I'm amazed about how they sound, I don't have big experience with monitors but this ones....are the best monitors I ever listen to, the low end is amazing, very big and clean, the mid's are clear and detalied and the high end is perfect, not harsh at all, I'm extremely satisfied with my choice, awesome monitors....it's all I can say. I hope you will find yours too Good Luck
Old 7th May 2014
if I was living in the us I would just buy the jbls just for the heck of it, use it as hifi at the worst, can't see how u can go wrong with them at this price
Old 13th May 2014
The Equators D5s have arrived!!

They sound pretty nice so far, heard quiet a bit of music on them, very clear and detailed sounding, haven't gone over 40% volume yet so will give more details after a few days of use. I noticed at least a couple of fine details on some tracks which I hadn't noticed before. Haven't tried the boundary settings either. I tried to hear kick and bass tracks to check if I can mix the low end and I think it should pull of the job easily. Nice sounding speakers so far, no problems whatsoever and no background noise not a tiny bit.
Old 16th May 2014
Did my first mix today on the equators, in a non treated room, not my usual setup. Mixing was good an them didn't find any difficulties. The best part is the client just called me and loved the mix and was pretty ecstatic about it so great start with the equators they have brought me luck
Old 21st December 2017
I have found a problem with the speakers (Equator D5s) which seem to be very common with many other users.
I noticed that the high end on one speaker is significantly less bright than the other speaker, making the whole high end image tilt to one side, as far as I am concerned if this is not some damage to my speaker and it is a common issue then its not acceptable for me, buyers beware and check on this issue before getting them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search