The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR 305 or Equator D5 Studio Monitors
Old 14th April 2014
  #61
Gear Nut
 
midio's Avatar
 

I ordered the Adam F7's from thomann, can't wait to test them
https://www.thomann.de/gr/adam_f7_bundle.htm
Old 14th April 2014
  #62
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by midio View Post
I ordered the Adam F7's from thomann, can't wait to test them
https://www.thomann.de/gr/adam_f7_bundle.htm

hi midio,
congratulations on your purchase,
please let me know how are they working for you,
cheers
Old 18th April 2014
  #63
Gear Nut
 

I think with any set of 5's you need a sub.

I don't really think I can work with 5's again and prefer 8's with clean non distorted responce as low as possible.

Subs are great but you really need to have treatment because it's amplified and this can really mess your mixes up whereas an 8 in will give you easier balance to judge, especially in not so treated rooms.

The problem with not enough low extension is you can have a mud, hum or texture that you have carved out yourself if you do not check it properly. I think it's crucial if you are layering electronic music to have precise clarity at the low end.

I use multiple things for checking bass at the moment, 3way, 2way, system with sub, beyers and akg headphones.

If you have the right set up and room just a set of 5in 2ways and a good sub is all you need but it's not cheap if your room isn't 'right'. I would never trust a sub in an untreated room though. Your room will F up your compression and eq image.

You can always roll off at certain freqs or use a couple of other eq&master techniques to get around things though.


If you work in 20hz+ range a lot the other option is to go the headphone route and use hrtf software and stereo image emulation. Only in desperate situations but still, I did it for many years and it worked and I think many people still do it today. Using something like a beyer dt, akg701 etc.


With rear ports you should adjust them away from the wall bit by bit coming out about 30cms, if this still doesn't work, I find angling them inwards, triangle shape to you can help with acoustics. You can always acoustic the back port path where it bounces or you can use the old trick of filling your ports, if you know what it is doing for you. I find it can be very useful in certain situations
Old 21st April 2014
  #64
Im now stuck in the same dilemma : need minitors for dance music, stuck between equator d5 and the jbl305, and cannot check the speakers for myself where I am. Almost pulled the trigger on the equators today,its got amazing reviews, only thing that worries me is the few problems people have been getting with them like the ones in this thread : JBL LSR305 vs Adam F5?

Im super confused, somebody pls tell me the equators are awesome and are way better than the jbls and have no flaws!
Old 21st April 2014
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Woodwindy's Avatar
They translate well, and have a surprising amount of power in the near field. Just was enjoying mine, and there sitting next to monitors that cost ten times as much.
Keith
Keith Felch | Music Educator, Woodwind Performer, Recording Artist
Old 21st April 2014
  #66
Thanks for the reply keith, do u have any issues with them regarding the background hiss? How long have u had urs? The funny thing is i am buying a new set cuz my old roland ones make a loud annoying hiss so it will be hilarious if these make a noise too....
And can u say a lil about the bass end, do u think I can make good mix decisions on it for dance music ?
What are the other expensive monitors u have by the way?


The hype around the equator is hard to beat, so many good reviews cant be for nothing!
Old 21st April 2014
  #67
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
Im now stuck in the same dilemma : need minitors for dance music, stuck between equator d5 and the jbl305, and cannot check the speakers for myself where I am. Almost pulled the trigger on the equators today,its got amazing reviews, only thing that worries me is the few problems people have been getting with them like the ones in this thread : JBL LSR305 vs Adam F5?

Im super confused, somebody pls tell me the equators are awesome and are way better than the jbls and have no flaws!
Can you click on the post number of the posts with the reports of problems and then link to that so we don't have to read a 3 page thread to understand what you're referring to?
Old 21st April 2014
  #68
Sure Ill do that, sorry the link i should have give its this : well basically there is reports of background hiss thats the common thing in this thread evryone is discussing it:

Equator D5 making white noise: self-noise or problem?

And then there is one perticular post in the same thread about a guy who claims some high freq sounds just dissapear on the d5s thats post number 28 on the thread

Its just 2.5 pages you should read the whole thing anyway if u r interested in this matter
Old 21st April 2014
  #69
Im still pretty keen on the equator even tho the new jbl is very promosing and 100$ cheaper, im just feeling the equators design and engineering apeal to me more and I imagine they will be more clinical and revealing and honest sounding.


And i would imagine there is always gonna be some negative things with any products the fact is that with equator the positive stuff is way more than the negative comments.
Old 21st April 2014
  #70
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
Sure Ill do that, sorry the link i should have give its this : well basically there is reports of background hiss thats the common thing in this thread evryone is discussing it:

Equator D5 making white noise: self-noise or problem?

And then there is one perticular post in the same thread about a guy who claims some high freq sounds just dissapear on the d5s thats post number 28 on the thread

Its just 2.5 pages you should read the whole thing anyway if u r interested in this matter
Thanks. Keep in mind that thread is older though and things may have been corrected in production. That's why I asked for the post in that newer thread which pointed out a problem. I still don't know what was referred to in the thread , I did scan it and didn't find it readily. I don't see the point of reading a 2.5 page thread if I'm interested in the matter when that thread isn't about the problem, but is about two speakers vs. each other with a random post buried in it about a problem. That's why I asked for a link to the post. Oh well.
Old 21st April 2014
  #71
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
Im still pretty keen on the equator even tho the new jbl is very promosing and 100$ cheaper, im just feeling the equators design and engineering apeal to me more and I imagine they will be more clinical and revealing and honest sounding.


And i would imagine there is always gonna be some negative things with any products the fact is that with equator the positive stuff is way more than the negative comments.
That's a big leap to imagine.

They also have killer sales on the JBL's which make them even cheaper. I have the Equators, but am still very curious about the JBL's and wish they'd have been out to try before I got my Equators. Equators customer service has not been impressive and that's one of the reasons I went with them, being a smaller company and all you'd think they'd be more responsive.
Old 21st April 2014
  #72
The newer thread was linkng a problem from the older thread, lol so thats why. That post number is 28 in the equator hiss thread.

So if u have the equator can u give me some details regarding how u like them, some details about the bass and do u have any of the background hissing noise problem?
Old 21st April 2014
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Woodwindy's Avatar
"Thanks for the reply keith, do u have any issues with them regarding the background hiss?"
None.
"How long have u had hrs?"
1 yr.
"The funny thing is i am buying a new set cuz my old roland ones make a loud annoying hiss so it will be hilarious if these make a noise too....
And can u say a lil about the bass end, do u think I can make good mix decisions on it for dance music ?"

Yes.
"What are the other expensive monitors u have by the way?"
Spiral Groove Studio Ones with Parasound Amp, and Pelonis Model 42 with sub.
Keith
www.KeithFelch.com
Old 21st April 2014
  #74
Thanks a lot keith, thats awesome.
Im pretty keen on the equators.
Old 21st April 2014
  #75
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
The newer thread was linkng a problem from the older thread, lol so thats why. That post number is 28 in the equator hiss thread.

So if u have the equator can u give me some details regarding how u like them, some details about the bass and do u have any of the background hissing noise problem?
Oh, I'm sorry about that, I see what you mean now.
Old 21st April 2014
  #76
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
"Thanks for the reply keith, do u have any issues with them regarding the background hiss?"
None.
"How long have u had hrs?"
1 yr.
"The funny thing is i am buying a new set cuz my old roland ones make a loud annoying hiss so it will be hilarious if these make a noise too....
And can u say a lil about the bass end, do u think I can make good mix decisions on it for dance music ?"

Yes.
"What are the other expensive monitors u have by the way?"
Spiral Groove Studio Ones with Parasound Amp, and Pelonis Model 42 with sub.
Keith
Keith Felch | Music Educator, Woodwind Performer, Recording Artist
You can hear zero hiss with your ear near them?
Old 21st April 2014
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Woodwindy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
You can hear zero hiss with your ear near them?
yes, that's right.
Keith
Keith Felch | Music Educator, Woodwind Performer, Recording Artist
Old 21st April 2014
  #78
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
Thanks, that's good to know, that's definitely not the case with mine, but they aren't hissing like mad either. I just like to know about the variances. I wonder why this is the case?

Should they be dead quiet? I thought that wasn't usually the case with any monitor.
Old 21st April 2014
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Woodwindy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
Thanks, that's good to know, that's definitely not the case with mine, but they aren't hissing like mad either. I just like to know about the variances. I wonder why this is the case?

Should they be dead quiet? I thought that wasn't usually the case with any monitor.
Dead quiet. All my monitors are so.
Keith
Keith Felch | Music Educator, Woodwind Performer, Recording Artist
Old 22nd April 2014
  #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post

I'd like to hear the JBL's and when they can be had for buy one get one half off I'm doubting they could be beat.
Where is this offer going on ? Is it in the us?
Old 22nd April 2014
  #81
It looks like the offer is over, I read in another thread here that the sale was on sweetwater during feb, can anyone confirm this?
Old 22nd April 2014
  #82
Here for the gear
 

The sale ended Feb.28
It was buy 1 (305 or 308) get 1 1/2 price.
A deal too good to pass up.
Old 22nd April 2014
  #83
Oh damn! Wish i knew about it earlier, indeed a killer deal!

Oh well the equators it is then for me
Old 23rd April 2014
  #84
im going to order the equators now, so tough to do with so much praise for the jbls fingers crossed
Old 24th April 2014
  #85
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
im going to order the equators now, so tough to do with so much praise for the jbls fingers crossed
hi fuzulu,
i still haven't made my purchase partly because of being over busy partly that i decided on the equator d8 with a wait for the first user thoughts on the coming Focal Alpha 65,
let us now how you like the equators you ordered,
cheers
Old 24th April 2014
  #86
Gear Nut
 

I had the Equator D5s, sold them, got the JBL LSR305. No regrets. These are better, to my ears.
Old 25th April 2014
  #87
I have the Equator D5's, and I'm not disappointed. Yes, I have only tried the D5's, but they do seem balanced in every respect that I have been able to identify.

This thread is about monitors for electronic music, and I will say right now that, of course, such a small woofer is not great. Going into electronic music inherently has the price tag associated with it. Facing off these low-to-mid level monitors is perhaps insignificant. The subwoofer is essential, and balancing and positioning it with your monitors is going to be a whole new ballpark, of which I am no expert.

With regards to the noise: I think noise is computer specific, because mine are a little noisy (even more so when playing games) but not when they are plugged into my laptop. My screen has speakers built in and they are as noisy as the D5's. Weird :>

Last edited by adamd1008; 25th April 2014 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Removed rant, sorry about that; mentioned noise
Old 25th April 2014
  #88
Oh yes for sure I will give u guys my review and let u know every detail, Ill compare it with my bluesky system which i love and have been using for around 5 years, they have no hiss whatsoever unless u stick ur ears to them and that im sure will happen with every speaker, also its important how u use ur interface and stuff like for example u dont want ur soundcard to be on the max volume u will probably get more hiss
Old 26th April 2014
  #89
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
Oh yes for sure I will give u guys my review and let u know every detail, Ill compare it with my bluesky system which i love and have been using for around 5 years, they have no hiss whatsoever unless u stick ur ears to them and that im sure will happen with every speaker, also its important how u use ur interface and stuff like for example u dont want ur soundcard to be on the max volume u will probably get more hiss
Are you using a sub when you get your Equator D5s?

Waiting to see your review too
Old 26th April 2014
  #90
No i will not be using a sub, infact im looking for a good pair which I can use without a sub, I prefer a pair without a sub more now days cause im finding that its making mixing a lot easier for me specially in the lows and also because im working in a small room.

I also have the feeling that now days 5" monitors could be enough thats why Im trying the equators. Its like an experiment, if it doesnt give me the accuracy I need for mixing Ill sell them and go for a 8" pair like the rolands which I have, they are revealing the mix very nicely to me but they are old so they are making huge background noise, also I want to experiment with the equators to see of they are better because as nearfields the 8" rolands are slightly more heavy on the ears so I wanna see if a good 5" or 6.5" without a sub will do the job for me, I think 6.5 is perfect for me but my budget was a bit low so if the equators dont work out ill consider some 6.5" as well.

The blue sky system I have is awesome and I can work for hours and hours on it so its really perfect for writing music. Only thing is that I have recently discovered that my lows are very difficult to mix on them because of the small room and sub combination. But I still love their sound.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump