The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR 305 or Equator D5 Studio Monitors
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Hi,

I haven't listened to the Adam F7.

Yes, the Eris 8 do work well at very low volume.
Old 21st March 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Since you guys seem to know the F7 and the D5 pretty well, here is an odd question: which one is better at low levels? Yes, low levels! I'm in a situation right now where I can't constantly push things loud, and my HS80 are not really good at low levels...
F7 work fine at low volumes, they open up more though the more you push them (But you don't need to push them, they still are nicely detailed at low volumes) The D5 probably work just a bit better at really low volumes though.
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
F7 work fine at low volumes, they open up more though the more you push them (But you don't need to push them, they still are nicely detailed at low volumes) The D5 probably work just a bit better at really low volumes though.
Nice to hear that. Thanks!
Old 22nd March 2014
Here for the gear

Have you bought one? I also have to choose between equator d5 and monkey banana turbo5. Basically mixes should translate well.. I read in some reviews that when ppl got themixes sounding right on equator d5 , they did NOT translate well on other system , ussually lacking mid or overpowerd bass.. Not just in one review. I duno may be its the feel when u work with a monitor , some of them tell u which is the better road to take each time.. i have a feeling monkey banana is good for that..

Some guys told me monkaey banana turbo5 is better suited for a wide variety of music styles than d5.. But they are more costly.. So im in a fix.. i have no experience with either monitors..

Someone help (Also how do you start discussions here in gearslutz? I ca only reply to posts.)
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford192 View Post
Have you bought one? I also have to choose between equator d5 and monkey banana turbo5. Basically mixes should translate well.. I read in some reviews that when ppl got themixes sounding right on equator d5 , they did NOT translate well on other system , ussually lacking mid or overpowerd bass.. Not just in one review. I duno may be its the feel when u work with a monitor , some of them tell u which is the better road to take each time.. i have a feeling monkey banana is good for that..

Some guys told me monkaey banana turbo5 is better suited for a wide variety of music styles than d5.. But they are more costly.. So im in a fix.. i have no experience with either monitors..

Someone help (Also how do you start discussions here in gearslutz? I ca only reply to posts.)
hello Clifford192,
haven't made my purchase yet,
being traveling this period so not much time for decisions,
hope i will make my decision soon,
i'm still thinking about 5 vs 7-8 inch models, than still thinking between models,
having so much help from the people in this forum is great especially in a situation like me when i cannot really hear them in a shop and decide,
also plenty of the good monitors in that 500-700 euros range are discussed here and will be a good guide for other people across the world that are in the same boat like me,

my hunt still continues,
so more opinions and experiences for the models here are welcome,

haven't really read opinions that equator doesn't translate,
more of what i read is that they are a super tool for mixing and they sound good too,

hopefully you get a new pair that suits you,
please write here about your decision

p.s.about your last question,
you can start a thread by clicking the New Thread button at top left of every section in the forum,
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think one of the most significant bits of info has been skipped in this discussion: the Equators are front ported. This helps quite a bit in terms of bass control in a small room. Having a wicked Room Mode at 120 hz or whatever is not fun. A rear ported speaker can be a real problem when situated near a wall or corner. I have the D5's. I don't hear their peaky-ness at 7k, and are very well-mannered speakers. You could always order the D5's and the D8's, and return the pair you don't want, with Equator's 60 day money back guarantee.
To give you some perspective on the size of the D5's, you can see them in this video demo I did sitting next to Pelonis Model 42's and Spiral Groove Studio One's.
3 Cat Night Studio Gear Demo by Keith Felch - YouTube
Good luck, and happy hunting!
Keith
Keith Felch | Music Educator, Woodwind Performer, Recording Artist
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
I think one of the most significant bits of info has been skipped in this discussion: the Equators are front ported. This helps quite a bit in terms of bass control in a small room. Having a wicked Room Mode at 120 hz or whatever is not fun. A rear ported speaker can be a real problem when situated near a wall or corner. I have the D5's. I don't hear their peaky-ness at 7k, and are very well-mannered speakers. You could always order the D5's and the D8's, and return the pair you don't want, with Equator's 60 day money back guarantee.
To give you some perspective on the size of the D5's, you can see them in this video demo I did sitting next to Pelonis Model 42's and Spiral Groove Studio One's.
3 Cat Night Studio Gear Demo by Keith Felch - YouTube
Good luck, and happy hunting!
Keith
Hi Keith,
Thank you for joining in,
yes i already mentioned about JBL lsr305 being back ported and i will have the monitors close to a back wall (similar like you do) so i ruled them out and i think front ported is more "friendly" for being placed close to a back wall,
My room is 4 to 4 meters (13ft to 13ft) with 3 meters high ceiling,
I'm still debating with myself if i should go 5 inch - or go to 7-8inch so i can have more extension in lower region ( as i do mostly Electronic dance and chill out music),
i can accommodate the 8 inch monitor dimensions but i guess something like 6,5 inch would be perfect size for perfect placement,
i think i will not have a problem having the 8inch playing in the room,
i have pair of 12" PA full range active speakers playing in the room just fine,
Unfortunately i cannot order both and just try and return the one i dont like ,
where i live i can pick a pair , order a pair, pay the pair, and than sell the pair second hand so i can have money back to invest in a new set,
sounds a bit unreal and unfair but it is like it is

so
do you find the equator d5 revealing,good tool for mixing, are they accurate , do they translate well?
do they sound pleasant for listening? any fatigue?
thanks
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

do you find the equator d5 revealing
Yes
good tool for mixing
Yes
are they accurate
Yes
do they translate well
Yes
do they sound pleasant for listening
Yes
any fatigue
No
Are they butt-kicking
No, but they are amazing.
For butt kicking, you might need the D8's.
thanks
You're welcome!
Keith
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Nut
hi guys,
still haven't made my purchase,
too much traveling this period for performing,
at the moment i'm pretty much decided on the Equator D8,
still thinking about my final choice and i'm not in real hurry for the purchase due to busy schedule so opinions are welcomed,

having lower extension on the low end, and better low mid area considering that i do mostly electronic dance and chill out music is making me feel that i should go for a 8 inch instead of 5 inch,
it will be my main monitor and i will be work only on the without a sub woofer,
i will add an sub woofer later just so i have it and check the mixes with the sub on occasionally and for music listening,

didnt got any opinions from you guys about:
-my sitting place from the speakers will be axis triangle of 1 meter ( 3ft) from both,

do you think that thats too close for an 8-7 inch for near field work? or its the same as with 5inch and it doesn't matter ?
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut

Hi Jovanja I was also interested in looking at these monitors recently but haven't heard them yet. I'm in around the same size space as you and will be happy with 6-8 inch cone(considering that sound isn't bouncing around the room). From past experience and feedback from others I think it is easier to just go for an 8 and cut out the sub for the meantime.

I started looking at 5's then considered 5's with a sub, now I have decided to set my mind and filter through the best 8's for my purposes and needs which are very similar to yours

Luckily you haven't spent your money yet so I also have another candidate you might want to take into consideration like I am

Focal Alpha, more of Focals budget range but come in three models, and very likely to deliver quality at a good price

Alpha - Focal

They look very promising

I can't begin to tell you how many times my mind has been changed in the last year over monitors, the geometry of the universe is going through my head, but I am sure I will have some monitors by this summer
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut
[QUOTE=HKhz;9987315]Hi Jovanja I was also interested in looking at these monitors recently but haven't heard them yet. I'm in around the same size space as you and will be happy with 6-8 inch cone(considering that sound isn't bouncing around the room). From past experience and feedback from others I think it is easier to just go for an 8 and cut out the sub for the meantime.

hi HKhz,
thank you for joining in,
it's so common to have so many people with similar ideas, needs for gear, workflow,
that is why the forum is great so people can have someone with first hand experience share their opinion about a piece of gear that people they have their mind on,

so this thread is helpful for me and hopefully for a big group of people searching monitors in this price range,
i wish you a successful hunt for the monitors,

i saw that new Focal Alpha is coming too,
from my space i saw that the 80 will be too big as the Alpha 65 is the same size as Equator d8 and that size i can include in my work space,

as i had Focal cms 65 and Neumann KH 120 as my narrowed choice ,
but 1300 euros for pair is a bit too much for me at the moment,
i started this thread as bang for buck monitors in the 500 euros range,
now i'm expanding that budget to 800 euros range and i think i can get quality, revealing and accurate monitors in this range,

this less expensive Focal Alpha 65 certainly looks promising regarding the price and according to the reviews of people about the rest of the Focal line (cms,solos..)

also Eve Audio SC205 looks intriguing and i can get them for 800 euros pair,
any body has opinions on the Eve Audio SC205?

so on one hand yes so many choices for people to get ''confused'' what is best to get for their needs,
i mean ''confused'' in a good way,
but imho more important is that is better to have more choice of models and companies competing with each other and that can only mean giving more value for less money for the people,
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut
so as i changed my budget now for 800 euros - 1100 USD,
genre Electronic dance and chill out music (tech house, progressive trance, funk electronica)
the narrowed choices ATM for me are,

equator d8 €777 pair (8inch for lower extension)
Focal Alpha 65 600€ pair (i know no one heard them but opinions should i wait)
Equator d5 500€ pair (and add a sub woofer 500€ total 1000€)
Adam A5X 650€ pair (and add a sub woofer)

adam f7 600€ pair
Eris8 €477 pair
Eve Audio SC205 800€ pair (this one is rear ported and i prefer front ported because of close placement to a back wall)

thanks
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanja View Post
so as i changed my budget now for 800 euros - 1100 USD,
genre Electronic dance and chill out music (tech house, progressive trance, funk electronica)
the narrowed choices ATM for me are,

equator d8 €777 pair (8inch for lower extension)
Focal Alpha 65 600€ pair (i know no one heard them but opinions should i wait)
Equator d5 500€ pair (and add a sub woofer 500€ total 1000€)
Adam A5X 650€ pair (and add a sub woofer)

adam f7 600€ pair
Eris8 €477 pair
Eve Audio SC205 800€ pair (this one is rear ported and i prefer front ported because of close placement to a back wall)

thanks
Not to rain on your parade, but with monitors so close in quality and price, IMHO, you won't be able to make an educated decision without trying out all the contenders in your own room.
Keith
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but with monitors so close in quality and price, IMHO, you won't be able to make an educated decision without trying out all the contenders in your own room.
Keith
hi keith,
yes you are right,
the right way would be go to listen in a shop and decide and the best way is have 2-3 models at home and decide which one works best in my room keep it and return the other ones,
like that i would be done in day or two with my decision,
but unfortunately,
like i wrote before,
where i live that is not possible,
i need to order my set without hearing and than i must keep it or sell it second hand to get some money back for replacement on some other model,
unfair but it is like it is,
thats why i need opinions and experiences here and hopefully make the right monitor decision for me,
for example your opinions and experiences with the equator were very helpful for me getting a picture about them,
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Nut

Hey Jovanja have you heard of Thomann? I just found them today they are an online retailer who give you 30 day money back so you can try things at home first. I think I might give it a try but will find out more about the return cost/procedure.

Like woodwindy said I think it is really crucial to test first, no matter where. There's so many little differences that can make something somebody else loves, the same thing you hate

I would go for front ports myself

I was also looking at the Genelec M series which I think would be similar to the Equators.

My budget keeps changing too but I am very quality orientated and will spend that 'extra' to get 'extra'.

The thing I see most is people saying ''try to get the best monitors you can get, the more the better'', I strongly believe it's more in your mind what limits you. Some of the equipment I had to use in the 90's was terrible but when learned gave excellent mixes that 'worked'.

It is a horrible feeling when you just want to get the best quality for your cash. These types of things you want to last for a long time. Who knows, In the end I could even end up buying second hand Focal Twin 6s or Event Opals from ebay

The hunt must go on!...........
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Nut
hi HKhz,
yes i know Thomann,
ordered some gear few times through them,
the thing is that they dont ship to my country,
so the return policy is not working for me,
i don't have a money back - returning policy with any retailer,
as well as a go to the shop and you can listen to your 4-5 choices of monitors and decide cause the shops here dont stock,
my situation is whatever i choose hopefully will work for me otherwise i need to sell them second hand to get some money back and buy something else,
yes this type of old school system still exists and i'm "lucky" to have it in my country
that is one of the reasons if not the main reason i'm searching opinions and experiences from the super cool people on the forum that are willing to share their ideas,suggestions and experiences, so i can choose what is best for me,
at the moment i'm leaning towards getting the equator d8,
or wait for the opinions on the Focal Alpha 65 which will hit the market within a month or two,
as i will need time as well to go to order the equator or the focal and drive to get them and due to the my busy schedule working that will be within the next month or two,
so i guess if there are more opinions , suggestions , experiences for what is the best for my needs within my budget of 800 euros i will make my choice definitely till that time,
looking from your posts i can say that we share very similar opinions and ideas regarding gear and this monitor purchase,
also like you wrote The hunt must go on!...........
cheers
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanja View Post
hi HKhz,
yes i know Thomann,
ordered some gear few times through them,
the thing is that they dont ship to my country,
so the return policy is not working for me,
i don't have a money back - returning policy with any retailer,
as well as a go to the shop and you can listen to your 4-5 choices of monitors and decide cause the shops here dont stock,
my situation is whatever i choose hopefully will work for me otherwise i need to sell them second hand to get some money back and buy something else,
yes this type of old school system still exists and i'm "lucky" to have it in my country
that is one of the reasons if not the main reason i'm searching opinions and experiences from the super cool people on the forum that are willing to share their ideas,suggestions and experiences, so i can choose what is best for me,
at the moment i'm leaning towards getting the equator d8,
or wait for the opinions on the Focal Alpha 65 which will hit the market within a month or two,
as i will need time as well to go to order the equator or the focal and drive to get them and due to the my busy schedule working that will be within the next month or two,
so i guess if there are more opinions , suggestions , experiences for what is the best for my needs within my budget of 800 euros i will make my choice definitely till that time,
looking from your posts i can say that we share very similar opinions and ideas regarding gear and this monitor purchase,
also like you wrote The hunt must go on!...........
cheers
Oh that's a shame, Thomann is out of the picture then :-/

I am thinking of going between the Equator D8 and Focal Alpha 65 myself too, but I still have an open mind to anything else that is out there.

Hopefully we will both make the best decision

The hunt continues......
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Nut
hi HKhz,
what type of music do you produce?
yes for me at the moment also the closest contenders are
equator d8 €777 pair
Focal Alpha 65 600€ pair
no reviews on the Focal Alpha 65 yet as being brand new and will hit the market soon,
but from the reviews on their other lines certainly makes them appealing,

also strange thing
from the specs with the smaller cone (6'5") they are advertised as having frequency response: 40 - 22000 Hz
while the Equator (with 8" cone ) Frequency Response is : 44Hz - 20kHz

but i dont know if i will wait long enough to have some reviews on the Focal before making the purchase
Old 5th April 2014
Gear Nut

Hi Jovanja, I do a mixture of styles in variations between acoustic, synthetic and both together.

Yeah still no reviews out hopefully there will be some soon before the general public release date.

I'm putting my trust in the brand based on the past history, but things can always change at anytime. But I'm not expecting Focal to drop their standards low so soon, I think the market is changing and these 'budget' range are more competitive and good quality

The Focals 40-22000 range seems very impressive coming from that size I expect it to be very balanced and tight/precise. Really I would like see them tested to see if they really can get to 40 and if the quality at that range is good for making decisions.

I think the Equators have been proven even with 4 cycles hz less than the Focals they have been known to have extreme depth, imaging and clarity and a wide sweet spot which is pretty much excellent qualities for a great mix.

I just don't want to put my order in yet for the Equators just to see the Focals come out in a few weeks and start being on covers of magazines, 5 stars everywhere, articles like ''the best budget monitor to date, rivalling yesterdays high end''. haha, I'm being a bit ambitious here, but I think you know what I mean!
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Tannoy 601a's but wanted a pair of monitors that were more portable. I had read nothing but great things about the Equator D5's so I bought a pair. They have replaced the Tannoy's as my main monitors (though the Tannoy's are still quite good).

I have read the D8's are equally revealing as the D5's but with more power and low end. In other words, the added low end provided by the larger speaker doesn't affect the midrange detail/clarity. I'd buy a pair of D8's if I were in your position. Regardless of what comes out tomorrow, the D8's will still be a great pair of studio monitors.
Old 7th April 2014
Here for the gear

How far away from the wall would you suggest putting the LSR305's?

I read the manual, but it doesn't even suggest it's necessary, much less make any suggestions. I imagine it will be different for different wall surface types.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

I'm in the same boat...looking for some monitors for electronic music and hip hop beats, on my list are the Equator D5's and Yamaha HS7, i dont like to work at big volume so i think that I dont need a 8" also the JBL's sounds like a tempting option....anyone compared HS7's to the D5...?
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
I have a pair of Tannoy 601a's but wanted a pair of monitors that were more portable. I had read nothing but great things about the Equator D5's so I bought a pair. They have replaced the Tannoy's as my main monitors (though the Tannoy's are still quite good).

I have read the D8's are equally revealing as the D5's but with more power and low end. In other words, the added low end provided by the larger speaker doesn't affect the midrange detail/clarity. I'd buy a pair of D8's if I were in your position. Regardless of what comes out tomorrow, the D8's will still be a great pair of studio monitors.

hi Given To Fly,
thank you for joining in and sharing your thoughts,
yes having an lower and bigger sound from the d8 without affecting the mid range detail/clarity it's what leans me toward the d8 instead of d5.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
How far away from the wall would you suggest putting the LSR305's?

I read the manual, but it doesn't even suggest it's necessary, much less make any suggestions. I imagine it will be different for different wall surface types.
Hi FlyingsCool
usually rear ported monitors should be placed away from the back wall,
maybe someone can share exactly what is the minimum distance for good response,
i will have mine like 5 cm from the back wall and i guess in my situation is better to go front ported
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by midio View Post
I'm in the same boat...looking for some monitors for electronic music and hip hop beats, on my list are the Equator D5's and Yamaha HS7, i dont like to work at big volume so i think that I dont need a 8" also the JBL's sounds like a tempting option....anyone compared HS7's to the D5...?

Hi midio
i work on quiet to middle levels so i also don't need to go loud,
the Equators d8 supposedly have a lower extension and bigger overall sound than the d5 and work well on low levels and you don't need to push them hard to get the proper sound while working,
making electronic music myself i think is better for me to have a monitor that goes lower,
sorry cannot comment between HS7's to the D5 cause haven't heard the both,
but previous yamaha models i heard i didnt like that sound at all,
i love their dxr PA speakers and av receivers
cheers
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

I also produce electronic music and beats mostly, I'm also undecided what to buy, I have the Yamaha HS7, Adam F7, JBL LSR305 and Equator D5's in my mind so far...as i search on different forums i saw some opinions from some "so-called" experts which work in big studios that, they said is not so important the amount of low end that you're getting from monitors as the clarity of it...so is important to see well how all the elements are defined in the mix, also looking for equator d5 reviews I saw that few top producers are using the d5's as their main monitors instead of previous very expensive ones...But I'm new in this segment I never had any "proper" monitors yet, I was working with headphones mostly and I have that fear that maybe a 5" will not give me enough bass response...I'm with that mentality that what is big is good but I'm sure I might be very wrong...and also the bad thing is that I can't listen to any monitors here where i live so only based on reviews I can make my pick...let's hope we will find the best ones

P.S. excuse my english but I'm not a native english speaker...
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midio View Post
I also produce electronic music and beats mostly, I'm also undecided what to buy, I have the Yamaha HS7, Adam F7, JBL LSR305 and Equator D5's in my mind so far...as i search on different forums i saw some opinions from some "so-called" experts which work in big studios that, they said is not so important the amount of low end that you're getting from monitors as the clarity of it...so is important to see well how all the elements are defined in the mix, also looking for equator d5 reviews I saw that few top producers are using the d5's as their main monitors instead of previous very expensive ones...But I'm new in this segment I never had any "proper" monitors yet, I was working with headphones mostly and I have that fear that maybe a 5" will not give me enough bass response...I'm with that mentality that what is big is good but I'm sure I might be very wrong...and also the bad thing is that I can't listen to any monitors here where i live so only based on reviews I can make my pick...let's hope we will find the best ones

P.S. excuse my english but I'm not a native english speaker...
The D5's don't extend super low, but they represent very well systems that don't have a sub.
Keith
www.KeithFelch.com
Old 11th April 2014
I have the 305s sounding cooly
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Nut

After months of research I grabbed the lsr 305s. They're fabulous. Phenomenal and wide stereo imagine/sweet spot (designed to work sufficiently in most all rooms, treated or not treated); and very accurate. A good mix sounds great, a not us great mix is not so great. Monitors are completely subjective, no two people have the same ear/room/etc so you kind of just have to do your spec research. It doesn't matter if you go spend a few grand on monitors, your mixes will sound like **** until you learn them and how they sound vs how they translate to YOUR ear on other systems. Lots of great reviews out there of the lsr305. Whatever you choose good luck!
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgltd88 View Post
After months of research I grabbed the lsr 305s. They're fabulous. Phenomenal and wide stereo imagine/sweet spot (designed to work sufficiently in most all rooms, treated or not treated); and very accurate. A good mix sounds great, a not us great mix is not so great. Monitors are completely subjective, no two people have the same ear/room/etc so you kind of just have to do your spec research. It doesn't matter if you go spend a few grand on monitors, your mixes will sound like **** until you learn them and how they sound vs how they translate to YOUR ear on other systems. Lots of great reviews out there of the lsr305. Whatever you choose good luck!

Hi mjgltd88
yes i totally agree with your points regarding learning the monitors to make good mixes,
i read the great reviews regarding the lsr 3 series that's why i had them in consideration,
but i will have them really close (like 3-5 cm) to a back wall putted in the angle facing towards triangle the listening position of 1 m from each in the center,
the lsr 3 are rear ported and general opinion is that in that kind of situation better is to go with front ported,
what is your opinion?
at the moment i'm thinking Equator d8 and maybe wait also for some first reviews for the Focal Alpha 65 to decide between the two,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search