The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
JBL Control 2P vs LSR305
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

JBL Control 2P vs LSR305

I'm sorry to throw another "VS" thread out, especially as my first thread. But I'm stuck in my research and need an opinion.

I'm a programmer and not an artist. I could not find middle C to save my life. My hats off to all of the artists here; you make life fun and not so boring.

What I do know is that I am not appreciating sound as much as I could be. I do some basic music listening. But what is driving me most to have better audio quality is listening to ham radio and radio scanners.

Bob Heil does a webcast called Ham Nation and he really inspired me to learn more about sound. I've long had a Heil microphone in my ham radio setup.

I often listen to many radios at once, local police, fire and ham radio. I'm sick of the cheap speakers at different listening locations. I picked a Mackie 1402 VLZ to take care of equalization, levels and panning.

For the speakers I plan on just placing them on my desk on each side of the computer monitors. Desk space is a concern. It's a 12x12 foot room with wood floors and no sound treatments.

The JBL Control 2PS look like the perfect solution. Even Bob Heil uses them in his ham setup. I would have already pulled the trigger and bought a pair.

But then comes along the JBL LSR 305 currently on sale at $225 for a pair. They look truly awesome and nothing but rave reviews.

The $20 price difference is a non-issue. But for me, mainly listening to just voice, would the LSR 305's be practical? Seems like the LSR 305's are in a different league and I'm crossing the line into the pro world?

The C2P's come with desk stands. Would a pad and/or stand really be needed for low volume listening on the LSR 305's? Could the LSR 305's be the better choice because of the expanded sound field?

So based on desk placement, limited desk space, mostly voice listening and a developing interest in sound and music, what's the better choice?

Thank you,

Chance

Last edited by ChanceL; 26th February 2014 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 27th November 2014
Here for the gear
LSR305 is an amazing speaker. You will definitely love them.
Old 26th June 2016
Here for the gear

Over 2 years later and I have the same question for the same reasons. Bob Heil travels with his control p2 and demonstrates it, given that I am looking for a speaker for a fixed station, I would like to know his opinion but don't know how to send him the question. He talks about frequencies around 2.5 kHz being important for articulate speech. If I understand it right, the cross over frequency for the LSR305 is 1.725 kHz so most of the power for those frequencies would go to its 1" tweeter but the crossover for the Control 2P is at 4.2 kHz so most of the 2.5khz energy would be going to its 5 1/4" woofer. Does this matter?
Frequency range exceeds my hearing for both. I hear little below 100 hz (nothing from 50 hz down). Little from 11.7 kHz up (nothing from 12khz up).
So I have old ears and want to understand speech as clearly as possible using all the information that I can get out of the sound given my limited natural resources.
One ham says get a center channel speaker but that would be passive set up.
I trust Bob Heils advice. The question is for a fixed station would the LSR305 be better than a Control P2?
Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search