The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
audient id22 or universal audio apollo twin?
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vas_co View Post
Hello, before appearing the new Apollo Twin I decided to buy Audient iD22. iD22 is a very good sound card with perfect AD/DA, mic Pre's, solid body and very very good software ( the matrix in it is a great addition). I was really in love with this device before i buy it. Contains almost everything I need at this stage. What annoys me is that the Sends output signal is hard linked with the Mic/Line inputs. But it is acceptable when use outs 3 and 4 for send s to external gear. So all sound perfect until it comes Apollo Twin just before two weeks at NAAM! Apollo has everything that has iD22, but there are some futures from the future! iD22 is 2-3 years old device. Apollo Twin is brand new and this speaks for innovation! Both have perfect AD/DA, mic Pre's, solid body and very very good software but the Twin offers more: DSP/UAD-Plug-ins/Unison/Better design/Thunderbolt/ - All this speaks for itself! As objectively sounds, i'm Libra .. and I still have a dilemma in my head ... but the the percentages are in favor of the Apollo Twin!
You realize that when you mentioned the Apollo, you didn't actually say anything right?

"Apollo Twin just before two weeks at NAAM! Apollo has everything that has iD22, but there are some futures from the future! iD22 is 2-3 years old device. Apollo Twin is brand new and this speaks for innovation! Both have perfect AD/DA, mic Pre's, solid body and very very good software but the Twin offers more: DSP/UAD-Plug-ins/Unison/Better design/Thunderbolt/ - All this speaks for itself!"

No, it doesn't speak for it's self "Futures from the future?" what the hell is that?

"but the Twin offers more: DSP/UAD-Plug-ins/Unison/Better design/Thunderbolt/"

Offers more plugins? Ok, that it does, but that isn't an advantage, neither is the fact that it's Mic pre is on an IC chip, while the Audient Mic pre is discrete components, like....y'know A REAL MIC PRE, I need LESS digital garbage, not more. what is this "better design? Unison? Thunderbolt?"

I've owned both, I returned the Apollo after a few days reaching the conclusion it was just more gimmickry, the plugins are as worthless as any other plugins in the face of real gear, I recall unison had something to do with them, not interested, Thunderbolt? The Mac Protocol they introduced and are promptly abandoning?

The insert sends are hard-wired to the Mic pres they serve? Yup.......that's what inserts do, what were you expecting?

And yes, Outputs 3 & 4 are great for sending to external gear, Those hardware inserts are something needed SO BADLY, they have made a HUGE difference to my workflow and finally allowed me to ditch plugins as have the output options,

Let me also point out the Audient discrete component Mic pres where you have the ability to by-pass the converters will retain value for as many years as high-quality mic pres will be in use, the ID22 is serious hardware that will not become obsolete and is the only interface that gives you the mobile capabilities of a large studio, it's the only real professional small form interface in existance.

UAD gimmicks are not to my liking I use tape and have the need of pristine converters that will not degrade my material after more than one pass through them, the ID22 has been a godsend.........but one criticism, well, two....I know it's fully expandable in and out through ADAT, I have mine expanded as we speak, but like it includes 6 outputs, 2 mains, 2 headphones and 2 aux I feel an interface should have no less than 4 onboard inputs without the need for ADAT expansion, even if it's just two 1/4" line level jacks, also I would have REALLY liked MIDI I/O, there are too many boxes and cables these days an interface with MIDI is really helpful

Neither are deal breakers since this is the best interface I've ever used, but they would have been nice, and again, I think unless it's a cheap interface 4 ins should be standard
Old 13th November 2017
Gear Guru

The interface you are describing does, in fact exist and it's called the Focusrite Clarett. The smaller ones, not the rack ones, sound exactly like what you're describing.
Old 14th November 2017
Gear Guru
Great thread! I'm wondering why no one mentioned RME? Isn't it in the same ballpark? Conversion is my next dragon to slay!....
Old 15th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Great thread! I'm wondering why no one mentioned RME? Isn't it in the same ballpark? Conversion is my next dragon to slay!....
I discovered a really helpful site - Audiofanzine - which you can translate from french to your language, and it has really insightful reviews of some of the recent gear from RME, UAD, and more.

It uses top end professional gear from Audio Precision to objectively measure and compare these interfaces.

The RME is pretty much at the very top of all the measurements (moreso when Audiofanzines measurements exceeds the technical specs published by RME), particularly on the newer devices like the 802, Babyface pro and the recent UFX incarnations which use new converters.

If I may add based on the Audiofanzine reviews, all the recent mid/higher end devices from Focusrite(Clarett and higher), RME, UAD and Apogee - measure extremely well and comparing their conversion objectively there is little to differentiate them, guess as the technology has really come a long way that conversion/specs is pretty much a non issue, at this level.

In my opinion, anything recent priced above £500/$600 from these select manufacturers should have very respectable performance - converters + preamps.

What separates them would be personal preferences - like

a) latency, if you monitor through the box i.e via the DAW, like I do. Even here all these interfaces have very respectable RTL comfortably below sub 6 millisecond RTL (in and out including processing via the DAW)

b) # of ins and outs.

c) efficient drivers - here I think RME is tops, to enable you have maximum use of your CPU's for DAW and greater use of native plugin processing.

d) If you are on PC - Apogee is out of the question.

e) Do you need inserts that completely bypass the mic pres. On another note even where inserts/inputs do not bypass the mic pres, for interfaces who use very transparent mic pres - like RME does, the impact of the pres is negligible.

d) form factor - rack or desktop, or portable.

e) UAD is obviously different cos of their hardware DSP, if that's important to you.

If I was to purchase a new interface, I'd plump for an RME. safe in the knowledge that their support/reliability and proven and timely support for all manner of upgrades of operating system - Windows or Mac going back at least 10 years and well into any forseeable future is their forte. Yes they do not sell any budget devices, but I think the ability to simply forget about the interface and get on with whatever I need to use it for is best with RME.

My 3 cents.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Guru
Wow! That was an awesome reply. Thank you!
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Id22

Crux of discussion is id22 is best and since i have it would add neve 500 sereis gear in future.....got confidence from above discussions..
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Old 7th March 2018
Here for the gear
I'd stay away from the iD22. My unit lasted a few months and now its just a great source of white noise
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg105 View Post
I'd stay away from the iD22. My unit lasted a few months and now its just a great source of white noise
Νο warrany?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

There are some capacitors that go bad on the id22. It is user repairable in case you still have the interface.
📝 Reply