The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MXL V67G or 990... Urgent!
Old 4th January 2014
Gear Maniac

MXL V67G or 990... Urgent!

I will ONLY be recording vocals for rap. Nothing else.

I'll be using a Focusrite 2i2 with whatever mic I get. I've done a lot of research for the last few days and these are the 2 mics I've decided I will make my decision on.

Honestly, price is a factor. I like the 990 because I can get it brand new with a shock mount for $80 (current shock mount will not fit either of these mics.) The V76G is $85 and I have to buy a shock mount. The official one is $50 but I'm hoping I can find a cheaper one that will fit. I also have to get headphones for recording as my previous ones broke and the only over ears I have are Beats by Dre which bleed too much for recording.

So the 990 is appealing. Personally I want the V67G. I've watched a couple videos with reputable studio engineers and they've said this is the only low cost condenser worth anything, and that it's actually a good mic. But if I'm not gonna notice a huge difference over the 990, I'll get the 990.

I've heard songs recorded with both, and the V67G sounded better, but I don't know what the people knew about recording or mixing, preamp, etc.

So please help me figure out which mic I should go with. I know a lot of it's subjective, but all opinions will help me eventually lead to my decision.
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

I have the v67g and it's a decent mic for the money. No experience with the other. If it were me I'd go for the v67g. It comes with a stand mount which you could use for a while until you get the funds for a shockmount either the official one or 3rd party.

There's a reviewer for this used shockmount that states he used it on a v67q stereo mic > Used WindTech SM-2 Microphone Suspension Shock Mount SM-2 B&H , so perhaps it would also fit the v67g.
Old 4th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
I have the v67g and it's a decent mic for the money. No experience with the other. If it were me I'd go for the v67g. It comes with a stand mount which you could use for a while until you get the funds for a shockmount either the official one or 3rd party.

There's a reviewer for this used shockmount that states he used it on a v67q stereo mic > Used WindTech SM-2 Microphone Suspension Shock Mount SM-2 B&H , so perhaps it would also fit the v67g.
Thanks for taking the time to recommend the shock mount. Would you happen to have any samples of the work you've done with the V67G?
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

I would go with the V67G. It is not am amazing mic but OK, and that is high praise for a cheap condenser.

I would not stress too much about not having a shock mount.
Old 5th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
I would go with the V67G. It is not am amazing mic but OK, and that is high praise for a cheap condenser.

I would not stress too much about not having a shock mount.
Yeah man your video was one that sold me on*it. Like I said I'll be using a Focusrite 2i2 preamp with it. Do you think the mic will work well with it?
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0419 View Post
I will ONLY be recording vocals for rap. Nothing else.

I'll be using a Focusrite 2i2 with whatever mic I get. I've done a lot of research for the last few days and these are the 2 mics I've decided I will make my decision on.

Honestly, price is a factor. I like the 990 because I can get it brand new with a shock mount for $80 (current shock mount will not fit either of these mics.) The V76G is $85 and I have to buy a shock mount. The official one is $50 but I'm hoping I can find a cheaper one that will fit. I also have to get headphones for recording as my previous ones broke and the only over ears I have are Beats by Dre which bleed too much for recording.

So the 990 is appealing. Personally I want the V67G. I've watched a couple videos with reputable studio engineers and they've said this is the only low cost condenser worth anything, and that it's actually a good mic. But if I'm not gonna notice a huge difference over the 990, I'll get the 990.

I've heard songs recorded with both, and the V67G sounded better, but I don't know what the people knew about recording or mixing, preamp, etc.

So please help me figure out which mic I should go with. I know a lot of it's subjective, but all opinions will help me eventually lead to my decision.

The V67g is a large capsule condenser microphone with a transformer coupled output. This makes it suited better for vocals. It will capture more detail. The mic utilizes the same feedback circuit as the U87 and if you compare the schematics many similarities can be noted. The shock mount is the M57 and is available at Amazon for $30.00.

The MXL990 is a small capsule condenser that implements a Schoeps style circuit. This circuit is very flat and with the bright small capsule, it may not work with your voice.

The components in the signal path should be improved to smooth out the sound of the mics.

Old 5th January 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

I believe there's some nice mods for the v67g that sounded good from what I can remember
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

I would say the V67G for vocals the 990 on guitar cabs.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Honestly, they both suck. Sorry, they do. They're both grainy sounding, lack fidelity and generally sound how a cheap mic should sound. I've owned both a very long time ago. You're not going to be happy with either in the long run, or even the short run. For around 200 bucks, you can you get yourself a worldclass mic: Studio Projects CS1 (not to be confused with the dreadful C1). It's miles better than the two you're listing. Some other decent mics for around 150 on the used market are the Audio Technica 4040, Shure KSM27, MXL2003a and Cad M179. Honestly, I would not stoop any lower than a 150 dollar condenser. I'm a low-end guy through and through, but I like mics that don't sound low end.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I believe there's some nice mods for the v67g that sounded good from what I can remember

I have refined my mod to the V67g to the point that I replace all of the capacitors and resistors. I use Mil spec resistors and some Siemens, Phillips, Polystyrene film caps and Mil spec Sprague solid Tantalum capacitors. The mic is much smoother and very detailed. I convert the circuit to the U87 circuit.

Other improvements involve a capsule change, transformer change (AMI, Jensen) and powder coating.

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio

Old 5th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Honestly, they both suck. Sorry, they do. They're both grainy sounding, lack fidelity and generally sound how a cheap mic should sound. I've owned both a very long time ago. You're not going to be happy with either in the long run, or even the short run. For around 200 bucks, you can you get yourself a worldclass mic: Studio Projects CS1 (not to be confused with the dreadful C1). It's miles better than the two you're listing. Some other decent mics for around 150 on the used market are the Audio Technica 4040, Shure KSM27, MXL2003a and Cad M179. Honestly, I would not stoop any lower than a 150 dollar condenser. I'm a low-end guy through and through, but I like mics that don't sound low end.
What exactly makes the
Studio Projects CS1*a world class mic? If its that great I'll probably get it used and wait on the preamp.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I disagree. It all depends on the application - perhaps the V67G did not suit the particular sounds you were recording, but that does not make it a bad mic.
Old 5th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I can get a Shure KSM27 with the shock mount, in all original packaging for $149 from a local shop. The mic is usually $500. If it's miles ahead of the MXL V67G, I'll spring and get it. Better to spend more and have to wait for other gear than to pay for a mic I'm gonna end up wanting to upgrade soon. So if it's that great, I'll get it. Opinions? Remember, I'm only recording rap vocals and nothing else.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

If your local store lets you, try demoing it out along with a few other mics in that price range. The best mic to go with is the one that suits your voice.
Old 5th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Unfortunately they don't allow that. Can't lie, I hate the idea of buying any mic used. The fact that this one is $150 when new is $500 scares me. The shop has a no return policy but the guy says the mic works perfectly. It also has no cosmetic marks. The store has a good reputation.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

The V67G is a decent mic. It has a very pronounced proximity effect that you have to be aware of, but that's about it's only vice. On some vocalists it's an ideal choice. I've used it for all kinds of commercial recordings and not found it wanting. It's not a U87, of course, but if I need a U87 I have the option of using one.

The 990? Just say no...

I'm not a big fan of modding mic's. IMO if you need a better mic then buy a better one from the start.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

I wouldn't even consider the 990 whatsoever. Never tried the V67G. Personally, if it seems too good to be true (underpriced) it probably is. It might have suffered 'condenser fade' (where it collects so much condensation it cuts out until dry), which means it's been 'traumatized' and had it's better days already. Reputations are only backed by warrantys. If you get 30 trouble free days their hands are brushed clean. Outside of that it's a roll of the dice. Your bank roll, your choice. Keep the clients experience with your work in mind as well. If it sours from failing equipment he'll be regretful, you'll cut rates to compensate & the whole ball unravels from there. Pay now or pay later. Food for thought.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately they don't allow that. Can't lie, I hate the idea of buying any mic used. The fact that this one is $150 when new is $500 scares me. The shop has a no return policy but the guy says the mic works perfectly. It also has no cosmetic marks. The store has a good reputation.
I would find a different place to shop. You need to reserve the right to return something if it doesn't work for you.

$150 is about the going rate for a used KSM27. It is a discontinued product, but at most internet retailers it sold for $299 new.

The Shure mic would be a better choice than either of the MXL mics, for both sound and build quality. But it is also in another price bracket than the other two.

If it were not for the lack of return policy, I would not be afraid to buy it.

No disrespect, but it sounds like you may be new to recording. In your situation I would consider a good dynamic mic rather than a condenser, for several reasons:

You will get a better mic for your money.
Dynamic mics perform better in less than ideal recording spaces.
The transients are easier to control w/ dynamic mics, and you won't have s***** troublesome frequency responses to eq out later, as often happens with inexpensive condenser mics. (generally speaking)

Most people hear that condenser mics are "recording mics" and think they are cooler than dynamics. But a microphone is a microphone, and dynamic mics are used for major label vocals more frequently than most people suspect.

But all of this is subjective, as you said above.

Here is a link to a dealer that will help you sort out the choices, and will allow you to return mics and try others if your first choice does not work for you.

Sweetwater.com

Good luck.
Old 5th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your input. I was originally planning on going with a SM58 but have been told by some reputable people here on gs that my preamp will not be very good with the mic, or any dynamic mic. So that's why i went back to considering condensers.

Since that's about the going rate, you think I should go ahead and get the KSM27? I think I saw it on Amazon for around 500 which is why i was scared about the used price. Maybe it wasn't amazon but it was from some major retailer.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Get the KSM27 off of ebay. There's some for sale in your price range. These retail for 299 new, not 500.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Have you heard a modded V67? It's like a veil of haze gets removed.
Wow, so you've honestly used a stock V67 over a U87 in your studio? On what application would that EVER occur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
The V67G is a decent mic. It has a very pronounced proximity effect that you have to be aware of, but that's about it's only vice. On some vocalists it's an ideal choice. I've used it for all kinds of commercial recordings and not found it wanting. It's not a U87, of course, but if I need a U87 I have the option of using one.

The 990? Just say no...

I'm not a big fan of modding mic's. IMO if you need a better mic then buy a better one from the start.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you heard a modded V67? It's like a veil of haze gets removed.
I haven't heard a modded version, but I stand by what I say. I've no interest in modding, but it obviously suits some people. If a mic doesn't work for me then I'll try another mic. There are plenty of good alternatives out there and in my locker.

Quote:
Wow, so you've honestly used a stock V67 over a U87 in your studio? On what application would that EVER occur?
I keep an open mind. Sometimes I'll put up a mic just to see what happens - artists I work with know that I like to 'throw the dice' from time to time, and they appreciate that. A U87 is a safe 'never bad' mic, but magic occasionally happens if you give it space and opportunity to happen.

There's one vocalist I work with regularly who sounds a million dollars through an MXL V6, but nasal through a U87. I find that the V67G suits some female vocals, especially when they need more lower-mid weight.
Old 5th January 2014
Gear Addict

Speaking of shockmounts...

I've had good luck with the Samson SP01

You can pry out the threaded retention ring that's sized for samson's mics and use the rings that come with the MXL mic.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

The CS1 is a good versatile microphone. It has several high pass and low pass filters so that the sound of the mic can be sculpted for the singer. This mic has the same capsule as the C1.

Do not be afraid of microphones with a high list price going for a lot less. That is a marketing tool that makes it look like you got a "deal." I worked in a music store in the 70's that jacked the price of their Rickenbackers up 100% and then gave a 50% discount.

The thing about microphones at this price point is the use of low quality capacitors in the signal path. Capsule to Fet and transformer / transistor coupling capacitors. A ceramic capacitor cost much less than a quality film or Mica capacitor.

Very few of the mic companies use Mil Spec 1% resistors The best sounding mics sound that way because of much better components. Neumann uses Polystyrene capacitors, Vishay capacitors high tolerance resistors and great capsules.

It makes a difference.

I use some Wet tantalum capacitors in the 251 version of the Dutch that cost $32.00 from Mouser. The Mil spec Solid Tantalum cap I use in the Greyhound retails for over $6.00.
Parts matter.

The inexpensive SDC mic is a classic example. All ceramic parts in the signal path. This makes the already bright capsule sound brittle. There is a certain sound that the ceramic capacitors have that does not work with the flat response of the modern DAW. These mics take their circuit from the original Schoeps mic. That mic used high quality components and even had Tantalum coupling capacitors in the signal path. (Granted the capsule is of much better quality.) These SDC mics can sound much better with the replacement of three capacitors. My mod for these involves replacing about 20 components and custom tuning these mics for a better response and even implementing a KM84 sound.

Microphone Parts has a wonderful DIY mod kit that was developed by Jim Williams that makes these mics sound as good as any mic out there.

What is in the Kit????

Better parts!!

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Old 5th January 2014
Here for the gear

we've had great results using the MXL V67G on several rap vocalists.
dIY shockmounts can be built for around $12/$15.
Then as the you get more and more $, you can always mod it later, if you need to.
Old 5th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
The CS1 is a good versatile microphone. It has several high pass and low pass filters so that the sound of the mic can be sculpted for the singer. This mic has the same capsule as the C1.

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
When I was looking for a multi-pattern mic I was considering a CS5. Got something else instead. I put the CS1 on the wish list for a while based on spotty praise that I saw here, much like the CS5 gets, but couldn't convince myself to get one because of a lack of videos on Youtube either as a demo or real use (other than demos made by SP or Brent talking about it). Just sort of had the feeling that if it was a well used mic there would be a few more people on Youtube using them in real applications. Probably a poor way to judge a mic, but it's just my weird mindset.

I did however recently get an SP C1 v2 from ebay at a price I couldn't not buy it that works really good on my voice. A good number of Youtube videos can be found on the SP C1
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I can get the C1 with the case, mount and everything for 125. Should I get that over the V67G?
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can get the C1 with the case, mount and everything for 125. Should I get that over the V67G?
I try to give all gear a fighting chance, and I've tested a number of Behringer mic's (I work with a studio owner who's all about budget!) and found them disappointing (and some downright risable!). Of course it depends on what your expectations are, and if they meet your requirement/budget - but in a straight comparison of audio ability I'd be wary of choosing Behringer and I personally wouldn't give a home to a C1.

But if it gets you up and running and you're not expecting miracles then it may do a job for you. Rap isn't exactly all about pristine audio quality after all! See if you can try before you buy.
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

My bad I was talking about the Studio Projects C1
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

I suggest sticking with the CS1. It's not much more than the C1 and it's a more refined sounding mic. The C1 has a bright, nasty top end and the midrange is thin. The CS1 is the opposite.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search