The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How big is the difference in quality between AKG K240 and K701
Old 15th December 2013
Here for the gear

How big is the difference in quality between AKG K240 and K701

Hello! As in the title. I'm willing to buy headphones for mixing and the winners right now are AKG K240 mkII. But since I can spend some more money I'm wondering if the AKG K701 are noticeably better and worth extra 100 pounds? So please anyone could you answer me are there any quality differences or it's up to preference and you can mix on K240 as good as on K701.

So K240 mkII -> K271 mkII -> K701

Help me decide. I'm not too happy spending extra hundred pounds so I need to know if there's a big difference.

The music I mix is my own which is somewhere close to synthpop or alternative rock

PEACE!
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

i have a few pairs of k240s (both mk1 & 2)... i've been using the AKG phones for years. if you need the extra dough for other stuff, the k240 is a nice, reasonably priced set of cans. don't worry about shelling out for the expensive ones.
Old 15th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
i have a few pairs of k240s (both mk1 & 2)... i've been using the AKG phones for years. if you need the extra dough for other stuff, the k240 is a nice, reasonably priced set of cans. don't worry about shelling out for the expensive ones.

THANK YOU MAN! My only concern about K240 is bass. As showed on frequency response it seems like K240 headphones are quite bassy. If I'd need to point my weak side according to mixes I make it'd be bass (usually too weak) so I'm not sure if I won't keep on doing this mistake on low-coloured headphones. I have Focusrite DSP 24 interface so I hope it'll give some quality to the headphones... :- ) anyway so for now I'm on buying K240 since they are legendary. Tomorrow I need to order them so still a little bit more time for decision...
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

the 240s i've used seem ok as far as low end goes.

always try to reference your mixes on as many sets of speakers/headphones as you can. helps give perspective.

cheers, good luck with your new 240s!
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

I have them both. Bought a new pair of 701's on ebay for $200. I personally would spend the money and get the 701's. But that's not to say you the 240's wouldn't work fine for you once you get to know them. My opinion is the the 701's are better balanced with better detail.
L.
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

I would agree that the 701/702 are worth the extra 100 quid, though there are others I'd prefer, it's a hard call at that price range...

perhaps you've seen this:
Old 16th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
I would agree that the 701/702 are worth the extra 100 quid, though there are others I'd prefer, it's a hard call at that price range...

perhaps you've seen this:

Yes, this is exactly what I saw and that's my concern. It seems quite "muddy" on image. Thank you for all the responses, it's quite an important pick since music is my life and I'll rely on these headphones for quite a while.
Old 16th December 2013
Lives for gear

i've never seen that graph before but i have a really hard time believing the 240mkII has a 9db peak @ 110hz!!? (or 7db @ 9k!)

i've never considered them "flat" by any means, (nor do i use them for mixing truth be told--more of an reference for how people hear stuff at home... the ubiquitous SmilE ), but this graph seems a little exaggerated?
Old 16th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
i've never seen that graph before but i have a really hard time believing the 240mkII has a 9db peak @ 110hz!!? (or 7db @ 9k!)

i've never considered them "flat" by any means, (nor do i use them for mixing truth be told--more of an reference for how people hear stuff at home... the ubiquitous SmilE ), but this graph seems a little exaggerated?

There are quite many people complaining about unstable bass in AKG K240 so maybe there's some truth in it... :- ) having said that I'm closest to buying AKG K702 right now due to their flat response.
Old 16th December 2013
I have both the k240 mk2 and k271 mk2 and have to say that they are significantly different cans. The k271 mk2 are much more refined and have a vastly better stereo image, with a lot less 'mud' around the low mid as bass end. I have used both for mixing and general listening and prefer the 271's for everything. Also the closed back isolation will stop bleed when near mics if you're tracking a vocal or miced instruments.
Old 16th December 2013
Here for the gear

Damn, that's such a hard decision to make. I'm a little concerned about MADE IN CHINA thing :-/ I've heard that they no longer make them in Austria. Well, that's natural, but paying 200 pounds I'd rather have something with real factory history not a typical massive production. Well looking at frequency response K271 seem flatter than 240 so probably better for music production. It's like with microphones for me - between shure SM58 and Beta58 I pick Beta58 'cause it seems like an upgraded version of respected stuff.
Old 16th December 2013
Here for the gear

Ok. I've ordered AKG K240 mkII 'cause I've never had any open headphones and I wasn't really too happy about paying twice as much for K702. Hopefully I'll like 'em... anyway I'm almost positive that I'll feel improvement over my Panasonic RP-HTX7 :- D thanks all!
Old 17th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

This kind of differential is par for the course with so many cans and speakers. especially in a given room... people have no idea...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harusenko View Post
Ok. I've ordered AKG K240 mkII 'cause I've never had any open headphones and I wasn't really too happy about paying twice as much for K702. Hopefully I'll like 'em... anyway I'm almost positive that I'll feel improvement over my Panasonic RP-HTX7 :- D thanks all!
for that price, you'd have done better with the AT M50, IMHO. Also, the Beta 58 is in no way "better" than the SM58, just different, and not necessarily in good ways. It can be better on a given voice in a given system, or not, like any mic. Assumptions of that sort are almost always misguided. And what makes you think the Austrian made 702s weren't mass produced? Chinese manufacturing isn't always a downgrade...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok. I've ordered AKG K240 mkII...
cheers man, don't let that graph scare you! these are great cans to get going on for anyone just starting out .

next think you should think about buying is a decent pair of near fields. (if you decide you're really into mixing your own stuff) ex: the KRK stuff isn't too expensive and you can do lots on them...
Lives for gear

Quote:
This kind of differential is par for the course with so many cans and speakers. especially in a given room... people have no idea...
a 15db variance is a lot! (especially at the oomph and sizzle spots... no wonder everyone out in the booth is so happy with my headphone mixes! )
Lives for gear

Quote:
the Beta 58 is in no way "better" than the SM58, just different, and not necessarily in good ways... Assumptions of that sort are almost always misguided...
OP this is good advice. more expensive doesn't always mean better for a given task. (i'd put up a 57 over a beta 57 any day of the week on a guitar amp for example...)

Quote:
Chinese manufacturing isn't always a downgrade...
sure, but... it usually is.
Lives for gear

Quote:
sure, but... it usually is.
So many reputable old companies are having their stuff manufactured in China now. Their capabilities are formidable. It really depends on the QC standards employed.
Old 17th December 2013
S21
Lives for gear

I think the headphones in the graphs are tested on a fake head. The mess at the top of the graph is resonance in the ear cavity.
Old 17th December 2013
Here for the gear

As we all know most of the stuff is pretty subjective when it comes to equipment. It's like with ATH-M50 vs AKG K240 or SM58 vs Beta58... I've played on many different stages and never picked SM58 over Beta58 after sound check. Beta is much more exciting for me, SM58 is just muddy and lazy and needs more equalization. Same, when I was doing research, there were many ATH-M50 people saying that they are better than AKG and opposite. That's the real problem when it comes to online choosing I remember recording vocals on 1500$ classic microphone and anyway picking my 100$ USB microphone Samson G-Track.

So all I hope now is that I'll like AKG K240 more than the cheap headphones I have right now :- ) I'm planning on buying monitors in around half of a year anyway. I'm kind of embarrassed that after few years of engineering and producing music just now I've realized that you shouldn't mix on headphones... haha! I'm always more concerned about the music I write than the production but it's good to make steps further and not trying to make professional mixes on 20$ headphones.

Thank you all!
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha! I'm always more concerned about the music I write than the production...
well that's already a good sign bro. (refreshing to hear that from a new guy on GS!)

the gear and engineering chops will come if you stick with it, but the music itself is what's most important.
Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

Clearly the music comes first and last, but the production needs to be there to facilitate that. Much of audio is subjective but when it comes to mixing and mastering, you need to have appropriate tools, the choice of which must be based on objective standards, so you can make your subjective musical decisions effectively so that others can enjoy those decisions. The M50 are certain flawed but the 240 are much more skewed. It would be nice if someone came up with something more usefully neutral in the beer budget range but it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge. Good luck and enjoy, in any case!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Clearly the music comes first and last, but the production needs to be there to facilitate that. Much of audio is subjective but when it comes to mixing and mastering, you need to have appropriate tools, the choice of which must be based on objective standards, so you can make your subjective musical decisions effectively so that others can enjoy those decisions. The M50 are certain flawed but the 240 are much more skewed. It would be nice if someone came up with something more usefully neutral in the beer budget range but it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge. Good luck and enjoy, in any case!

Skewed you say? Is it only in the bass frequency area? Well as I said I was working on 20$ (Panasonic RP-HTX7) headphones so I suppose I'll get much better results anyway (HOPEFULLY, HAH!).

Best wishes
Here for the gear

Quote:
cheers man, don't let that graph scare you! these are great cans to get going on for anyone just starting out .

next think you should think about buying is a decent pair of near fields. (if you decide you're really into mixing your own stuff) ex: the KRK stuff isn't too expensive and you can do lots on them...

KRK is exactly what I'll be willing to buy. I'm so excited about learning new things! I remember mixing on Logitech speakers :- D I had a good natural hunch about mixing on them even if the mixes were horrible. Thanks for your help!
Old 18th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is your take on the Sony MDR 7506 or the Sennheiser HD 280?
πŸ“ Reply