The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apex 430 Condenser Mic Transformer / Upgrades ?
Old 13th December 2013
Here for the gear

Apex 430 Condenser Mic Transformer / Upgrades ?

Hey Guys!

Just want to send a big thanks firstly to all you wonderful contributors! I have spent the better part of a months time reviewing and researching this wonderful host of information.

I recently have gotten back into serious platform digital recording, (dating back to Cakewalk's .. Cakewalk, and of course a veteran of tape).

I am in the boat of searching for a new budget vocal microphone (Rock / Folk / Alternative stylings) .. and well that's a whole other story. I have had for some time an old Apex 430, now while I am happy with it (no "esssing" and a nice round, full - mix friendly sound) I have thought there may be a better solution in the few hundred dollar range. * Note I also run it through a Tube MP (with an upgraded Tung-Sol 12AX7).

Anyways.. I found my mic at Apex Electronics 430 | RecordingHacks.com However, it appears I may have an oddity in regards to its circuitry. I cannot find any other similar model (Nady 900 / MXL 2001) which seem to contain this huge "transformer" looking device. Now my question is .. do I have something unique.. and or does this make it slightly "better" then a transformerless circuit? The capsules and body look identical - just the circuitry seems different. Again, after listening and practicing my ear to the many forms of Studio Projects B1 / C1 / Rode NT1a / AT2020 etc etc, I feel I may already have a good budget solution. My current upgrade is learning towards an AKG C214, however I cannot get over it's impending sibilance. Seems harsh and distracting. Though it lends a "high end" sound. I have been looking at a KEL solution, as I am in Canada; however, it seems they are suffering from low stock, and possibly a failing business model. My only other comparison has been an AT 3060, which while sounding natural and smooth.. seemed to sit "above" my mixes.. almost too crisp and natural. Not bad, but maybe I'm just not used too a higher end sound, though from listening to other mixes of AT mic's I do not think I am a fan of that spectrum.

Anywho, anyone whom could lend a little information to my current offering, it would help direct me towards my next purchase. I do not want to purchase another mic which is inferior.

Thanks for reading, and I hope for many more a post!

(See attached Pictures)

Cheers!

~Dylan
Attached Thumbnails
Apex 430 Condenser Mic Transformer / Upgrades ?-apex2.jpg   Apex 430 Condenser Mic Transformer / Upgrades ?-apex1.jpg  
Old 20th December 2014
I cant answer your Apex 430 Mod question although following is a link to a Tube Mod for it: Making My U47 (Royer Mod Side Project)

As far as a New Mic, there are so many to choose from including the KELs if you can find one.

If you can get a used sE Electronics Z3300A in the $200-$400 range, you will have one incredible mic for the money.

Their SE2200A II is a good mic and some nice package deals can be had if you look around: Apex 430 Condenser Mic Transformer / Upgrades ?New SE Electronics Holiday Recording Bundle SE 2200A II C RF x X1R x1 R Mic | eBay

You should also look at Mics from Advanced Audio in Canada:
Advanced Audio Microphones - Professional microphones at affordable prices. We provide studio quality mics for the home and pro recording industry.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear