The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No sound from KRK rokit 5 g3? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th December 2013
Here for the gear

No sound from KRK rokit 5 g3?

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for my extremely noobish question, but I'm getting really frustrated here and its bumming me out.
I recently bought an pioneer xdj r1 with two rokit r5 G3 monitors and a focusrite 2i2 for some producing. Problem is, no sound is coming from my speakers most of the time! I've connected my r1 from master output to the front of the 2i2 and connected my R5's xlr output to the back of the 2i2. Now when I'm using the R1 I put the 2i2 on direct monitor on and everything works great. But when I want to play anything from my computer, say youtube (I haven't downloaded a DAW yet) no sound is coming from the monitors! only after like 5 minutes the left monitor jumps on (if at all), and the right one almost never makes a sound. The lights are on, the drivers for the 2i2 are installed, I checked the cable connections, played with some knobs. Sometimes when they do turn on, they make a weird slow-motion distorted sound. Again, with the r1 it works great.

What in the hell am I doing wrong??
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Nut

You have to go into your computer settings and select your interface as your sound source
Old 8th December 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply. Yes I've done that. I set line-out Scarlett as default in sound from the control panel. Both are working right now, but as soon as I turn of my laptop and switch it back on, I get the distorted slow-motion robot sound and I have to unplug the focusrite and plug it back in. Then it mostly works. Of course I would just like it to work without having to do all of this every time.
Old 8th December 2013
Here for the gear

I should mention that my laptop is running on windows 8.1.
Old 8th December 2013
Here for the gear

Also, after listening for half an hour or so, the right speaker just switches off automatically, and a few minutes later the left one follows. Pleeaase help anyone?
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Addict

It sounds like a laptop problem. I don't know how or if you can do this with your system but try setting the buffer rate higher on your settings. Try setting it to 1024.

It sounds like the buffer rate is too low and your computer can't 'keep up'.

Just a suggestion...
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Nut

Ooooor, have you ever thought about the fact that your Interface is getting Input from your ins or expects that and therefore doesn't Play the stuff from other sources? That could be the Problem. Try not to set "Direct Monitor" but "DAW Monitor" instead, that could work. Set your Audio Output to 2i2 and have fun. Also an Option: It's like 5 minutes of reinstalling, just throw everything out and get everything new, latest drivers and stuff.
I experienced, that you can't really play multiple sources at one time (like YouTube and Monitoring and iTunes) the LS56 just plays one DAW source.
Old 11th December 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for your responses. @Maxadax I set the buffer rate higher and it seemed to worked, but after startup i was back to square one. When you change the buffer rate to low and then back to high most of the time it goes back to "normal sounding". As for the right monitor not making any sound, I found that turning the volume button up and down makes it pop on. Does this have something to do with the signal?
@Dragonfood Yes this might have something to do with it! But does it also get input when the controller is off? Because it also happens when it's off. I'll try it without the controller connected later. Also when I'm on the laptop I always have the interface set to Direct monitor - Off. I already threw everything out and reinstalled the latest drivers, twice. It didn't work unfortunately. So while it's possible to get them to work with some cumbersome tricks, I really hope I can get them to work as they're supposed to...
Old 25th June 2016
Here for the gear
I had the same problem with one of my rockit 8s. It would power on but put out almost no sound.
at first I switched from using the RCA connectors to using TRS instead. That let me get back to work for a few months.
this month it started acting up again in the same way. I went about the regular troubleshooting process ( ruling out my cables, outputs on my interface ETC, )
the last resort was to fix it the way dad fixes the TV when it acts up ( or how he fixes you when you act up) ; I gave it a good slap to the side.
that brought it back to life and restored the sound, and it worked for a few sessions.

Today it was up to the same old problem, but the old redneck technique wasn't doing the trick.

The fact that slapping it makes it work leads me to believe that theres something loose.
We weren't going redneck enough so i opened it up and looked around. One of the red or black wires that leads to the woofer looked a little out. Nothing else looked obviously loose, but I pushed on the various connectors and stuff and reconnected the power and TRS. that did it, the speaker was back to full volume. Before i put the back panel back on the cabinet I looped the wires in a way that they're not being tugged on. It's been a half an hour and it's still going strong.

so yah I really didn't DO anything
Old 19th January 2019
Mfc
Here for the gear

Hi I really need some help, I bought a pair of krk 5 speakers a few years ago. One of the speakers works fine but the other will not produce sound even though the light come on when powered on. I have checked the wire connections switching them between the two and I get the same result. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfc View Post
Hi I really need some help, I bought a pair of krk 5 speakers a few years ago. One of the speakers works fine but the other will not produce sound even though the light come on when powered on. I have checked the wire connections switching them between the two and I get the same result. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Same problem with my pair. Light is on, and 'finger test' doesnt make any crackling sound. Any ideas? Or maybe you sorted yourself out somehow?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

KRK is owned by Gibson. How long do you expect cheap monitors to last given they are made by the guys selling unplayable two thousand dollar guitars? Just buy something else.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search