The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording in the corner of a room...
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Addict

Question Recording in the corner of a room...

As some of you may know, my "studio" is also my bedroom. I am in the process of rearranging my furniture for a better mix point (gotdamn my headboard is heavy!!)... I know have an open corner of my room. Would it be alright to have a bass trap in this corner along with some acoustic foam and put a mic there. If I'm not mistaken I should have it so the performer is rapping/singing towards the room and NOT towards the wall, correct? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-LCD-
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Addict

what I did was take a packing blanket and hang it in the corner suspended bydecorative chains you can by at Home Depot or anywhere.....then I took some pegboard and with spray adhesive attached Auralex foam squares to make about a
4' x 4' "ceiling" also suspended by decorative chains..

this is a vocal booth setup. The person recording talks or sings into the corner, not away. The mic basically captures only the source in this setup, and not the reflections. It works amazingly well....

total cost of this "booth"..? about $35
Attached Thumbnails
Recording in the corner of a room...-corner-vocal-booth.jpg  
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

As long as the soundproofing is done right, sing INTO the corner. This will result in a dryer, "closer" sound. I do this all the time, works out great.
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Addict

good idea captain... can u take another pic with the flash on so I can see how u have that connecting?

I just keep hearing conflicting stories at to which was to face while recording...
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD View Post
good idea captain... can u take another pic with the flash on so I can see how u have that connecting?

I just keep hearing conflicting stories at to which was to face while recording...
turning away from the corner and recording OUT in the room defeats the purpose of using the corner to catch reflections....you want to take the room out of the equation
Attached Thumbnails
Recording in the corner of a room...-mvc-022s.jpg   Recording in the corner of a room...-mvc-030s.jpg  
Old 8th October 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah,

I may be wrong but I always thought that you should treat the corner and sing INTO the room.

This way the back (null - if you're using cardiod) is facing the room and you've reduced the reflections entering the front of the mic.

Kinda goes against the whole idea of the SE 'vocal shield' thing they're selling now but hey, it's always worked for me.

R.
Old 9th October 2006
Gear Addict

I saw some pics of Ray Charles along side of Whitney Houston,both singing into almost the exact setups that Captain54 has created.Although the packing blankets were suspended on three sides and the singers faced the flat portion of the blanket.
Old 9th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Yeah,

I may be wrong but I always thought that you should treat the corner and sing INTO the room.

This way the back (null - if you're using cardiod) is facing the room and you've reduced the reflections entering the front of the mic.

Kinda goes against the whole idea of the SE 'vocal shield' thing they're selling now but hey, it's always worked for me.

R.
I agree,
Macmod.
Old 9th October 2006

Try it both ways. Depending on the room one may work better.

Remember that some sound does radiate to the rear of the singe. With the singer facing the corner, the sound to the rear gets out into the room and baounces back on-axis to the mic. with the singer in the corner, the sound getting into the room is louder, but the mic has it's null pointed at the reflections.

It could be better either way....

-tINY

Old 9th October 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Try it both ways. Depending on the room one may work better.

Remember that some sound does radiate to the rear of the singe. With the singer facing the corner, the sound to the rear gets out into the room and baounces back on-axis to the mic. with the singer in the corner, the sound getting into the room is louder, but the mic has it's null pointed at the reflections.

It could be better either way....

-tINY

I guess I always assumed that with my set up, and with the singer facing the corner, there would be NO sound radiating to the rear of the singer....you can almost hear the sound traveling about a foot or so and then coming to a dead
halt...

So with this setup there really seemed no point to face away from the corner....plus, my room is small, 12x20 with 7 foot ceilings and hard surfaces everywhere so I wanted to take the room out of the equation as much as possible...

would be interesting to see the comparisons though...as soon as I get a chance
I'll record two dry signals both ways and post results...
Old 9th October 2006
Gear Addict

Nice man... good looks
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Addict

Two Vocal Tracks....

1)recorded dry into corner

2)recorded dry away from corner
Attached Files

into corner.mp3 (349.5 KB, 6979 views)

away from corner.mp3 (320.5 KB, 6458 views)

Old 10th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
I guess I always assumed that with my set up, and with the singer facing the corner, there would be NO sound radiating to the rear of the singer....you can almost hear the sound traveling about a foot or so and then coming to a dead
halt....
I would have to completely agree with this logic and the audio samples definitely support this. You absolutely hear more room when speaking out towards the room. Into the corner sounds much tighter and in your face.

I was under the impression that if you're singing closer to the middle of the room to make sure that there is acoustic treatment on the wall behind you (as well as in front of you).

Theo
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Two Vocal Tracks....

allright...the proof is in the pudding
Macmod
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Two Vocal Tracks....

I'm on a slow computer now but will definitely check it out.

The 'perceived' logic of facing into the room always made me happy cuz I could have such direct visuals with the singer but hell, I ain't such an old dog that I can't learn new tricks.

I'm not sure WHERE I heard you needed to be more worried about reflections getting into the front of the mic but it sounded logical.

But hey, Rock and Roll ain't about logic now is it?

R.
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for the recordings! You definitely get two completely different sounding vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search