The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
20K Boost
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

20K Boost

What's up guys, I searched the forum and did not find "this specific" question so here goes. I'm not a pro but not new to recording. Has anyone actually boosted at 20K? My A-Designs EM-PEQ has 20K and I don't know of any reason why I would need to boost at 20K. Have any of you boosted at 20K and why?

Thanks guys!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTrip View Post
What's up guys, I searched the forum and did not find "this specific" question so here goes. I'm not a pro but not new to recording. Has anyone actually boosted at 20K? My A-Designs EM-PEQ has 20K and I don't know of any reason why I would need to boost at 20K. Have any of you boosted at 20K and why?

Thanks guys!
Boosting at 20k is really useful if you are trying to get the attention of the canines in the audience!

(cue the barking of dogs)
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmax_99 View Post
Boosting at 20k is really useful if you are trying to get the attention of the canines in the audience!

(cue the barking of dogs)
That's what I was thinking too. So why would they include that on their gear I wonder?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Boosting at 20K on some units affects the other bands, though.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I work in voice over, and a 20k boost can, if everything else is in order, add an incredible sizzle and sense of depth, but only with the right voices. I'm talkin of the lowest male voices, like the stereotype of a movie trailer vocal. I have never heard it do nice things to a female voice, though. Trust me, it works, and seems to give an added presence all the way down to the mids.

But the key is knowing how, when, and to have the good judgment to avoid overdoing it. I am sure it has similar uses musically, but that is outside my realm.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks guys for your input! Appreciate it!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thanks guys!

Because 20K is the center frequency of the filter. Depending on the Q of the filter it affects frequencies much lower than that. 1 octave below 20K is 10K so visualize that.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Works great on dog food commercials

Sent from my Nexus 4
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ View Post
Works great on dog food commercials
Made my day!

Like somebody said earlier - 20k can boost frequencies even as low as 5kHz - and i does it very gently -it all depends on Q setting.

Maag EQ4 does wonders with some vocals at 20k setting!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks guys!
To me that unit looks only to be able to attenuate at 20k, the boostable band appears to top out with a centre frequency of 16k
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSanAntonio View Post
Maag EQ4 does wonders with some vocals at 20k setting!
20khz on the Maag is pretty fantastic for adding space- dare I say "air?" - around things. I've taken to liking boosts in the extreme top end like that for such purposes vs. boosting around 10k or so. The higher settings are much less harsh to my ears for a similar air/brightening effect.

As mentioned before, these types of things tend to extend well down into the audible spectrum. Even if they do irritate the local canines.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have/use the Wunder PEQ1 and it has a shelf at 20k. Great on airy vocals also sheen to electric guitar.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting discussion. I've never found much use for 20K on anything in the mix. But after reading through the comments, perhaps I will give it a whirl on vocals sometime.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, as others have said, a few dB of shelving at in the upper-inaudible highs can introduce air to a track. I often find, though, that doing so introduces problems that require a few notch cuts as well...boosting at 20k is unlikely to be a net-positive for a track unless it's recorded on very quiet gear in a very good room.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing View Post
To me that unit looks only to be able to attenuate at 20k, the boostable band appears to top out with a centre frequency of 16k
Yea, my bad guys, you attenuate at 20K but still, even boosting at 16K.......! Seems to be a bit much. But hey, if it works for the song your working on, then awesome! Way I look at it. Just haven't found anything that needs 16K of boost yet but I am like others on here, I am going to try the suggestions concerning the vocals! Thanks again.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
I'm not a pro but not new to recording. Has anyone actually boosted at 20K?
Only if the instruments or the songs need it.

Not all paintings are painted with the same color, painting techniques and paint brushes. The artist will use what is needed for that particular painting. The same goes for the use of EQ and any other effect.

No 2 paintings are the same and no 2 songs are the same. So you only do what is needed for that song.

CJ
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Here you go, some folk obviously see value in it.
Attached Thumbnails
20K Boost-imageuploadedbygearslutz1382796287.985356.jpg  
Old 26th October 2013

@ Enginearing - I wonder what the ipod setting does (see list at right hand side)
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

The list on the right is a list of channels assigned to the buss selected...(In this case the Main buss of a live mix on an Avid Profile)
In this case the only real effect of those last two Freq bands is to reduce the headroom in the high frequency component of the PA (each to their own I suppose).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search