The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MixWizard3 16:2 vs Midas VeniceU 16 for live house/techno
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Choosing Mixer/Price point for Analog Techno/House - Figuring out what I need?

I've done quite a bit of reading on here and elsewhere trying to pick a mixer to use in a live house/techno setup. I think I've narrowed my list down to either a MixWizard or a Midas VeniceU -- the two names that come up frequently in threads asking similar questions.

I haven't seen much posted here about the VeniceU specifically though, it's significantly cheaper than the other versions which is the only reason I am able to consider it within my budget. I don't think I'm very concerned about the latency that some people write about with the Midas VeniceF (and U would only be worse, I assume) since I would only plan on using the USB interface to record into my computer.

I'm not interested in playing software along with my hardware, I have a workflow I am happy with a DAW now. The trouble is for both my "day jobs" I am working on a computer; both mentally and physically (wrists, back sore after often 12+ hours at my workstation during the day) I end up not wanting to sit in front of my computer to make music at the end of the day, which seems to be the primary reason for me moving OTB.

So with my goal being to move out of the box, and the MixWizard seems perfect for the live setup I'm putting together (got a good deal on a DSI Tempest, planning to add x0xb0x or Minitaur to that, as well as possibly an MPC). The MixWizard 16 inputs seems to be the right number of channels to accommodate this setup nicely with some room to grow (although from gear list above, I want to keep things minimal, not even planning to get gear beyond the Tempest until I know that tool very well), good sound, good EQ, plenty of aux sends. Another pro is while I've heard people say the built-in FX are rubbish, they might be useful to me in the short term while I'm still putting together this setup, and a less useful bonus once I've invested in quality reverb and delays. One obvious negative is the lack of groups, which the VeniceU has, but I feel "OK" about this since I'm not necessarily interested in a lot of processing etc. Want something more simple and raw, that I can jam on.

My fear though is I'll end up wanting a hybrid setup like the VeniceU down the line, so that I can jam on the hardware and simultaneously record and arrange things in my DAW... in other words, that I will be unhappy just jamming and recording the master outs from the MixWizard. Of course I could buy the MixWizard now and a separate audio interface down the line should I find myself in this position, but maybe it makes more sense to just get the Midas now to have that added flexibility?

Of course I cannot expect anyone else to tell me what I want now or in the future, but any feedback about other's processes in similar matters or regarding my own understanding of the features of these two consoles would be much appreciated. After writing all this out, I am feeling better about going with a MixWizard for now and and a separate audio interface down the line if I ever decide I need one (which I may not!) I'm new to production (1-2ish years) and still have a lot to learn so I appreciate any help or criticism. I do know that when I switched from DJing with Serato to CDJs (and now vinyl) it made it a lot more fun for me and changed how I listened to the music in a good way, so maybe that is what I'm hoping to replicate here.

I can get a good (??) deal on a MW3 16:2 for around $700 (US) new, haven't seen them go for enough less used to make me consider that instead, but maybe I just am not looking hard enough? I haven't found any used VeniceU's at all, but even new at $1200 I can afford it (it might postpone my purchase of a reverb and/or delay though).

TL;DR: Often see people advise new folks to avoid saving money on cheap gear only to spend more replacing in the long run and I guess that is what I am afraid of doing here by buying the MixWizard 3 over the VeniceU. At the same time, I'm not sure I would end up being able to advantage of the features that I'd be paying for in the Midas anyway and could buy an audio interface down the line if I do end up wanting to that route.

edit - see post below, am now also considering a Ramsa WR-S4416
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Hehe, getting the feeling I wrote too much! Sorry!

Did help me make up my mind, think I am going to try not to over-think things and go with the MixWizard because it does what I want. Any thoughts on the price I mentioned? Seems like a good deal?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

To complicate things some I came across a Ramsa WR-S4416 for about $400. It's a lot bigger and heavier than the MixWizard though, and I'm not sure it's as durable? I know people say good things about the "warmth" of the Ramsa but also that warmth at the console is going to be minor compared to elsewhere in the signal chain? I'm not sure the cheaper price and "vintage warmth" is worth the hassle of lugging the Ramsa around. Beginning to feel kind of overwhelmed!
Old 31st October 2013
Here for the gear

Been in the same debate and now my Venice u24 is arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know my thoughts once I give it a run through
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Head

Cool. Definitely want to hear what you think. I got a good price on the Mix Wizard and I think it was the right decision for me for right now, but am definitely going to keep my eye on the Midas down the line. I might even end up selling the MixWiz and just getting a smaller cheaper mixer to gig with (Roland BX-16 maybe?!?! :o) and save for a Midas for recording. We'll see though. Definitely just enjoying being fully OTB for the first time ever right now!
Old 5th November 2013
I have an Midas Venice U32. I can tell u it's a great sounding mixer. The pre's and summing box are the same found in the F.

I have never used the USB as I already own a couple of external interfaces. I used to own a Soundcraft before this. The Venice is a much better sounding board IMHO.

You can record and mix and end up with some great sounding music.

Keith.
Old 5th November 2013
Here for the gear

I feel for recording (my main focus) I definitely prefer the Midas, the preamps are solid and being able to sweep all 4 bands of the eq is definitely helpful, sounds great as well. Plenty of routing options, but I will say that for your purpose, even if they aren't the greatest, having on board fx will probably be useful to you and the mixwizard is still very capable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search