The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Line level splitting: passive or active solution ?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Question Line level splitting: passive or active solution ?

Hello,

I want to set up a classic configuration for electroacoustic music concert: a stereo or 8-channels source at line level must feed 24 line inputs of an analog mixing desk, the latter being used to distribute the signals on 24 loudspeakers using the direct outs.

The source is a RME Fireface 800 soundcard. It will be located close to the mixing desk (< 3 m).

I am wondering if a passive or an active solution is better, the distance between to the mixer being less than three meters.

Here are the considered options:

Passive boxes:
- Violet Audio DX16 XI /XT. The Xi costs less than 600 € but one needs to add the price of two DB-25 to XLR adapters. The XT version adds transformers on the outputs for a price closer to 1,000 €.
- Palmer PRMLS. Two of them would be necessary. The global price would be around 800 €. Uses transformers.

Active boxes:
- Sonifex RB-DA6. Four boxes are necessary because of the distribution scheme. So the global price would go beyond 1,700 €.
- Millenium SP-8 (Millenium is a Thomman brand I guess). 88 € for a two to four configuration. So, for four units this would keep the bill under 400 € !
- Aphex 120B. 1 to 4 channels. 4 boxes needed. The bill goes beyond 1,700 €.
- Behringer MX882 Ultralink Pro. 1x2 to 4x2. 4 boxes needed, that's 360 €.

What would you choose ? Also, are transformer-isolated outputs useful in such a configuration ?

Thank you in advance.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

None of the above.

Each output is only feeding three inputs. That's an easy job for a hard-wired split, unless the RME output is truly awful. If I was local to you (I'm not), I could build something like that for $25/channel, and you wouldn't need to add any extra wires to it (like you will with most of the other "solutions").

Since all the inputs are in the same device, there's no need of transformer isolation.

Geoff
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
Traditionally a '600 Ohm capable' output would be happy feeding up to 15 'bridging' inputs. However to keep it simple, practically all modern gear would be able to feed at least 5 or more 'inputs'. All you need is to make suitable 'parallel' outputs.
Depending on your desk routing capabilities some or all of this should be achievable 'in the desk' as you essentially need 24 mix bus capability and you would feed each 'input' to the relevent buses.
Transformers for isolation might be necessary in an extreme installation but should not be an issue in what you are proposing with short cables in one location.
Matt S
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Traditionally a '600 Ohm capable' output would be happy feeding up to 15 'bridging' inputs. However to keep it simple, practically all modern gear would be able to feed at least 5 or more 'inputs'. All you need is to make suitable 'parallel' outputs.
Depending on your desk routing capabilities some or all of this should be achievable 'in the desk' as you essentially need 24 mix bus capability and you would feed each 'input' to the relevent buses.
Transformers for isolation might be necessary in an extreme installation but should not be an issue in what you are proposing with short cables in one location.
Matt S
Right..
It is VERY common in studios for a Mic pre for example to drive 3 inputs with NO problems...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search