The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonodyne SM100ak vs Equator D8 vs Adam S1a used
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

Sonodyne SM100ak vs Equator D8 vs Adam S1a used

I'm searching for a pair of monitors for a production room, and am in a bit of a dilemma.

My choices are Sonodyne SM100ak, Adam S1A, and Equator d8. I know its not an apples to apples comparison, because they're all very different speakers in terms of listed market price and size. But where I live, the Sonodynes and Equator d8's are roughly the same price at about $1000, and the Adams will cost a little less. Also, comparing three monitors of different sizes may not appear to make sense, but is actually an effective way of zoning in on the correct size for my requirements.

I will be using these monitors in a 10 ft by 12 ft acoustically treated room. My preferred genres are ambient, chillout and psychedelic trance, so accurate low frequency reproduction is important. I should also mention that I am using a pair of Adam A7X's , though those are being used for the control room of my basement recording studio.

I came across the older Adam S1A's through someone who wants to sell them used, so I'm getting a good deal on them. I did demo them, and found them to have excellent clarity and imaging, though they are a bit bright. For such small monitors, the claimed frequency response down to 40 hz is really quite incredible if true. On hearing them, they do go down pretty low, but obviously lack any "feel" or "energy" at anything below 60-80 hz.

My other option, the Sonodyne SM100ak's are made in India, and since that is where I live I can get them cheaper and service or repairs will also be much easier and cheaper. I havent demoed them yet, but I contacted the manufacturer today and should be able to do so in a day or two. What concerns me most about these is the frequency response that only goes down to 60 hz. Though these are bigger monitors than the S1a, so they will arguably have substantially more weight above 60 hz, the steep roll off at 60 hz is a bit concerning.

Which brings me to my third choice, the equator d8's. These, being the biggest of the bunch, will most probably the best of the three at reproducing bass frequencies. But their size may bring its own set of problems into my small room. I will not get the chance to demo these.

The room will be treated, but the treatment will be basic since I have already spent a considerable amount on treating my control and live room.

So I'd really like to hear what opinions and advice anyone might have to offer.. thanks
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head
d8 very accurate.. nice stereo image.. translate well. all that matter in the end ..
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Sonodyne is launching in the US the new 500 (replaces the 50) and 600 (replaces the 100) shortly...I expect some in weeks.....and inventory in December.

The 500 I had at AES, it is a huge step forward.

Brad
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Bump .. Anyone?

So I did demo the sono's and I can't decide. They sound very neutral and are really natural and smooth. They sound great, but not in a way that's in your face. It's like you don't notice how good they sound until after you've heard them. Stereo imaging in great, and IMO better than the Adam S1a's.

But the Adams sound is clearer and immediately gives more detail. They both sound good, but the Adams are much more forward sounding. Considering I already own a 7" pair, it probably makes more sense to get the compact S1a's than the 6.5" sono's.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

And yea, the SRP series should be available by December. They will be priced higher than the SM's, so they're out of budget.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoryshell View Post
Bump .. Anyone?

So I did demo the sono's and I can't decide. They sound very neutral and are really natural and smooth. They sound great, but not in a way that's in your face. It's like you don't notice how good they sound until after you've heard them. Stereo imaging in great, and IMO better than the Adam S1a's.

But the Adams sound is clearer and immediately gives more detail. They both sound good, but the Adams are much more forward sounding. Considering I already own a 7" pair, it probably makes more sense to get the compact S1a's than the 6.5" sono's.
Think that through one more time. The Sonodynes only show you clarity when it is actually in the material, and then they do so rather spectacularly be it in a deceptively dicrete way.

The Adam's add their own 'clarity' to everything.

I know what I would choose. Having heard the Equator D5's I am also having a hard time imagining the D8's to be near as good as the Sono 100's........that's my 2cts.....

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Hey Karloff70. I've read some posts you've made about the sono's. I know you're a big fan, and with good reason. I think you're right to say that they are revealing in a beautifully subtle way. I've had time to reflect on my listening session, and I like them even more now than I did then. Leaning more towards these now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search