The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sold my mixing board, then my audio interface, now what?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Any recommendations for an interface?

I record very few sources. (3 synths, a guitar, and a mic)
So that's at least 5 ins.
However, I sometimes use outboard effects, so I need a fair amount of outs as well. (I post process.)

So let's say 7+ outs, 5+ ins.
I'd prefer the option for optical expansion as well.

I want something BETTER than or with no substantial audible and latency difference than my old Focusrite Scarlett 18i6.

I also need rock solid stability and the unit to be capable of extremely low latency during huge projects because I use lots of large sample libraries and many different ITB synths.

I ALSO...want enough power from the headphone output to drive some AKG Q701s (my o2 amp just died ]
Here's the kicker, I want it to be USB and under $200.
Options?
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

is recording the band live a must?

If not a downgrade to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and record everything piecemeal man. it's not gonna kill you. mic preamp's awesome for a "starter" interface.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAsh View Post
is recording the band live a must?

If not a downgrade to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and record everything piecemeal man. it's not gonna kill you. mic preamp's awesome for a "starter" interface.
Thanks for the reply!

It's a bit of a must to have everything connected because it's a jam band.

I also really want to get away from the Focusrite boxes if I could.

Thanks again!
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

I don't think that there is something better in that price tag than the scarlett interfaces, but if you insist for another brand, the only two options in that price with so much ins and outs are some behringer usb mixer from the xenyx series, or second hand tascam us-1641. What were your problems with the scarlett?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
Ebay is gonna be your friend.

Also craigslist

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
I'm failing to understand why you sold everything off and are now looking for "better" gear with a basement budget of $200.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I'm failing to understand why you sold everything off and are now looking for "better" gear with a basement budget of $200.
there are legit reasons. I'm sure he's not insane.

Maybe times were hard and he needed the money, so had to sell things off?
Maybe his old stuff malfunctioned from water damage?

I'm sure there's a reason.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
there are legit reasons. I'm sure he's not insane.

Maybe times were hard and he needed the money, so had to sell things off?
Maybe his old stuff malfunctioned from water damage?

I'm sure there's a reason.

It's actually a bit complicated but,

I loaned money to someone expecting to pay me back with a part of their government grant, but due to some governmental problems, that isn't happening in the time frame that I expected, and I now need the money to pay for things like rent.

I also had to quit my job recently ("had" isn't the right word) because school was starting to punch me in the face (first semester as a senior, grades were taking a dive, knee deep in extra curriculars trying to get my resume to look good for grad school)

And thirdly, I'd sold the mixer a bit earlier thinking, that I wanted to move away from OTB mixing and get a better interface, of course I later then sold the interface to have money to put toward the better interface, and it was then that circumstances led me to a fate where I had to start spending excess money on things that weren't gear (because the money in a sense was no longer excess.)

I also don't like Focusrite because of a bad experience with their drivers.

The reason I believe I can find something better than the Focusrite for $200 is because used Scarlett 18i6's are going for $80-$100 (minimum of course) on eBay.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post

I loaned money to someone expecting to pay me back with a part of their government grant, but due to some governmental problems, that isn't happening in the time frame that I expected, and I now need the money to pay for things like rent.

I also had to quit my job recently ("had" isn't the right word) because school was starting to punch me in the face (first semester as a senior, grades were taking a dive, knee deep in extra curriculars trying to get my resume to look good for grad school)

And thirdly, I'd sold the mixer a bit earlier thinking, that I wanted to move away from OTB mixing and get a better interface, of course I later then sold the interface to have money to put toward the better interface, and it was then that circumstances led me to a fate where I had to start spending excess money on things that weren't gear (because the money in a sense was no longer excess.)

The reason I believe I can find something better than the Focusrite for $200 is because used Scarlett 18i6's are going for $80-$100 (minimum of course) on eBay.
Gotcha. My concern would be the latency: if your machine's not a screamer to compensate, I'm not sure how many VSTs you can stack using a low-end interface vs. something like an RME Babyface (or any RME product) as that company is legendary in their ultra-low latency interfaces.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
If it neded to be USB... i'd look at the Roland Octa Capture. However... it's double the budget.

The only other low-cost interfaces that would come close in spec that I can think of ATM, that are USB are the Presonus VSL interfaces, the Native Instrument interfaces, and the MAudio Fast Track Ultra.

At the price... I think a used Fast Track Ultra is gonna be what you're looking for. I wasn't a fan of MAudio's drivers when I had them, but it worked good enough. I'd probably trust them over Focusrite.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post

Humm..I feel you on this..I had to do basically the same thing couple years ago for health reasons..Sold all my gear to pay for medical bills..I'm trying to get restarted again..I'm an ole' analog guy from years of doing live sound, then the studio thing.. Since the sell, I've dove into the digital recording and it's getting better..My advice is to go slow..!..There is so much gear out here now that'll make you wanna pull your hair out....Good thing is, at least most of the gear out now is usable. Even the " cheap gear" unlike awhile back when usually cheap gear was just that..Cheap gear..!..Good luck..
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
I would also hop on the Music and Computers and/or Electronic Music forum and ask those guys thoughts on latency and VSTs. I do mostly organic stuff, live off the floor band tracking (and I use a mixer) so latency doesn't enter the equation for me. Might be a non-issue if the tracking/monitoring part is easily covered by any modern interface.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Nut

motu 896 mk1. plenty i/o, 8 decent preamps, direct monitoring.

i reckon u can get one for less than 300 these days. just get a fw card and you're good to go.

you might be able to stay under 200 with an old m-audio delta (pci). had it and it sounded great. very low latency. i believe it had only 2 mic press though.

if you're stuck with usb i don't think you're gonna get the specs you need with that budget. i'd wait + save up.

Last edited by drambitz; 26th October 2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: read carefully
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
now sell your computer and your mics and you are done!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search