The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
gap 73 popped cap live..people thought it was a smoke machine
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

gap 73 popped cap live..people thought it was a smoke machine

Been..searching this for any similar problem since sunday..I played a show in chi at a **** venue..and brought the golden age pre73.and well..there were prolly some power spikes. Smoke started to billow out..turned it off and people thought it was a smoke machine going off !! Anyways.. so get home open this puppy up and the main capacitor. Well the biggest one right next to the 24 v resistor exploded.. so I replaced it. It turns on everything is good.....but a low constant hum..I usually run to a distressor so I use the xlr output.but it makes the hum more noticable..so I said hey for the first time im gonna try the trs output straight to the board..viola no hum perfect like she has always sat..but ****..I also love running thru the pbc 6a which only takes xlr in...so can anyone magically explain..maybe somehow the xlr output jack went bad? If so any recomendations on replacements..and also side note. Mr fantastic soundman ran wet vocal from the xlr output and dry from the trs..so they were both plugged in when the spinal tap smoke machine went off..cheers!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Perhaps when the cap blew it either took another component with it, or damaged the PCB.

I very well may have damaged the PCB is it really blew up.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

It actually just smoked reaalllyyy bad..and sprayed some filling the cap really didnt pop..it had a miniscule hole in it that was only detected with a magnifying glass...odly enough that goey electrolyte stuff hit the top of the amp and kind of hung and slid to the back and got on the xlr output jack.if the pcb is bad then how come the trs output works fine.and whwn you say pcb do you mean the compressor I was running? Or the board? Also to note the 24v resistor right next to it looked like the film covering was discolored but I check it with the multi meter and it was fine.cheers!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Well, if it got on the XLR jack then it could be causing a short.

PCB = printed circuit board. The capacitor overheating and leaking could damage one of the tracks involved with the XLR jack.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Maybe I shold start tracing the board..sucks..I thought these little guys were built like tanks..ive had capacitors blow in flatscreen tvs and still work...oh well..maybe time for the tonebeast?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Heres were it gets weirder!!! So I plug trs out to trs into the board as said before..quite as a mouse.. but when I use a trs out cable with an xlr on the other end into the board the hummin is back again..even though im still using trs out????????? Ive tested all cables and used anotjer preamp in to make sure my board wasnt the isuue. But everyrhing is quite as a mouse..can someone explain if the trs out and xlr share the same runs? They prolly just split at the jumper? But still when I go trs out but with an xlr on the other end it hums again..this is bizzaro..plus whwn I flip the phase switch it makes the hum a bit louder????? Cheers!
Old 20th October 2013
S-O
Here for the gear

Is the XLR in of whatever you are running the GAP into bad?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Try something.......
Take a wire and touch the ends of the wire to the chassis/ground of each piece of gear you're interconnecting with the TRS to XLR. Do the same with a TRS to TRS connected cable.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

This is off topic but I read the title and thought that you shot a gun off at a live show and people shot it was smoke machine ha
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks mark..do you mean open the gap box up and find an unpainted section and then on the board its conncected directly to do the same...the only thing is im runing it into a korgd300..where should I ground it to on the korg? Maybe the xlr socket outer ring?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbaby View Post
Thanks mark..do you mean open the gap box up and find an unpainted section and then on the board its conncected directly to do the same...the only thing is im runing it into a korgd300..where should I ground it to on the korg? Maybe the xlr socket outer ring?
Yeah, maybe easier said than done.....

Don't open the GAP.

With an XLR plugged in and getting the hum....
Looking at mine there isn't any clean place to touch a ground and I'm not sure on the D3200(?). Perhaps two 1/4" phone plug patch cords to tie the grounds in each device together. Plug one 1/4" cord into the GAP and leave the other end loose. Same on the D3200 into one of its inputs. Take the loose ends of the patch cords and touch just the sleeve part of each patch cord together. The sleeve of the plug should go back to ground in each device and tie the ground of each together. I'm wondering if somehow the XLR isn't connecting the grounds together and thus developing the hum.
This may prove nothing, but if the hum goes away or changes it may have something to do with the cables. The problem you had with the GAP may also be a larger part of the problem.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Ways View Post
This is off topic but I read the title and thought that you shot a gun off at a live show and people shot it was smoke machine ha
Haha same here!

Sent from my Milestone PLUS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search