The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adobe Audition Vs Pro Tools
Old 26th April 2016
It's an OK multitrack program. Nothing spectacular.
It doesn't fog up sound. Maybe some of its plugs do.
It lacks many of the standard functions that PT users have come to rely upon.
Just like most other apps, if you get used to using it, you can do excellent work with it.

I just integrated it into the radio studio at Purdue, and it's working beautifully there. Not one crash yet. A really nice, easy to use tool for novices to learn basic DAW functions and FX use. It's no PT or DP, but it never really aspired to be. I actually do a lot of work with it in the video edit suites also. It's great for what it is, which is a big step up from crap like Garage Band and Audacity.
Old 26th April 2016
Here for the gear
That's a good way of putting it, Kenny. I haven't noticed a coloring of sound in raw recording between AA and PT. I will miss the on board (spectral views) and Izotope features that came standard with AA, and will eventually buy them for PT (pop eliminators, multi-band compression, etc.).

It seems those who work in radio use AA alot. I've met several radio engineers without even searching who exclusively use AA, even Cool Edit still.

As a full-time producer up here in the midwest, I've looked at the long haul and went the path of PT. Nowadays musicians are more aware of the format of recording and recording gear, so even in name, Pro Tools holds a legitimate calling. I've met more guys who might bring their session folders to me that contain PT than any other DAW, so learning those extra curves hopefully will pay off.
Old 27th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
It's an OK multitrack program. Nothing spectacular.
It doesn't fog up sound. Maybe some of its plugs do.

It's great for what it is, which is a big step up from crap like Garage Band and Audacity.
I should have mentioned (fog) that I was talking about version 3. When 4 came out, I think that I remember their ads suggesting that they fixed that.

As for Audacity, be nice now. Audacity is great for tracking. Hit the button, it records. Bang. In fact, I have been limiting my hardware choices to things that will run Audacity.
Old 27th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
I should have mentioned (fog) that I was talking about version 3. When 4 came out, I think that I remember their ads suggesting that they fixed that.

As for Audacity, be nice now. Audacity is great for tracking. Hit the button, it records. Bang. In fact, I have been limiting my hardware choices to things that will run Audacity.
Yes, maybe version 3 had some internal processing weirdness.

True, that big red record button is front and center. I just had a lot of troubles getting it to do needed things that I'm used to with other DAWS. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time with it, but both me and my students felt that it was counter intuitive. For a lot of commonly needed functions like FX and such, it required workarounds and detours to get the job done.

Probably has a lot of nice features that I never explored, but I swapped it out with Audition in the studio, and all students were immediately delighted with the instant boost in flexibility and intuitive operation.
📝 Reply