The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adobe Audition Vs Pro Tools
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Another vote for Audition. It stays out of your way and lets you get things done in a professional environment.

Although the best tracking program is certainly Audacity. Whack the big red button, it records. Absolutely hassle-free.

Audacity for tracking and editing, and Audition for effects and mixing, is the perfect musician's setup.

L
Lives for gear

I've used both but I greatly prefer Adobe Audition. It's has an intuitive feel to it that allows you to create and record music w/o fussing with your software. Easy on the eyes too w/ nice colors and layouts. Rarely glitches in comparison to my experiences w/ other programs. I've got a decent selection of high-end gear but I'm still using a 5 year old version of Audition and don't feel the need to "upgrade" or look into anything else at the moment. It does everything I need it to.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I think Elastic Audio and Beat Detective are way too valuable with pro tools. You can't do any of that in Adobe. Let's face it, as much as I love Adobe, Pro tools is the industry standard, and you need it to actually do business, especially in Hip-Hop RNB, when most sessions are recorded in Pro Tools.
Cubase, Logic and Sonar all have their equivalents of Elastic Audio and Beat Detective (hell, I was using Cubase's audio warp to stretch audio into place just yesterday). Adobe Audition does not have these tools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58lespaul View Post
Cubase, Logic and Sonar all have their equivalents of Elastic Audio and Beat Detective (hell, I was using Cubase's audio warp to stretch audio into place just yesterday). Adobe Audition does not have these tools?
Yeah I realized it that about Sonar, that's why I bought it yesterday. Haven't tried it yet though, I'm waiting for my brand new CPU. I don't think Adobe can do Elastic Audio. It's the only tool lacking to make it a serious DAW. If Adobe had elastic audio and beat detective, I would stay with Adobe for sure. So if anyone here works for Adobe, please make a new version with Elastic Audio and Beat Detective!
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Well, Audition has it's Time/Pitch > Stretch functions which don't exactly do the same thing, but actually do the same thing : ))

and another vote for AA2...yes, I got hooked on it since it was my first serious mixing DAW, but later on when I had to do couple of sessions in Cubendo, Reaper or PT, I haven't felt restrained at all after going back to AA2...sure, my experience with it would make up for any work-flow issue it may have, but sonically - it's "all that"...not to mention that it's THE editing tool you want when it comes to single tracks and files...

and I shouldn't forget..."+1" to anybody who mentioned FL8 + AA2...I mean, I basically can't imagine better tool than FL for arranging and sequencing tracks, especially if they're MIDI or sample-based...even the mixer is great with it's option for dosing your effects on the insert as well on the send far more intuitive than other DAWs I've used...PT and Cubendo haver arguably better routing, but not nearly as hassle-free as FL...i mean, if it was just a bit easier to edit single recorded files and if I wasn't so used to AA, I'd even mix a whole song in it, no prob'...if it's instrumental track I need to mix - I could do it in FL without double guessing my choice...

only downside of this combination is possibly the fact that it's as far from industry standard as it can be, but if you go to studio with it, they may frown at first, but in the end, if you bring clean, labeled, time matched and arranged tracks, it's all good...not to mention the satisfaction when you see the disbelief on ME's face when you try to convince him that you've used nothing more than FL and possibly a bit of AA2 : )

AA2 and FL - two of the most underrated DAWs out there (although, AA is quite established in video and video postproduction work, even with PT trying to take over that line of audio business too)...
Yeah that was me! I use FL8 with Adobe and I might be using Reaper more with Sonar 8.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Johnson View Post
I was on CEP 2.0 for a while... but you're right... it's incredibly intuitive to use. I still use it for some editing though...

everything I am as an engineer, I attribute to CEP!
+1 I use SONAR and CEP for my editor.
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear
I also "cut my teeth" on Cool Edit Pro. Never thought it was real great for mixing, but it is an awesome lightweight no-frills recording platform great for location recording on underpowered hardware (for example).

With the niceties of all the great modern software at my disposal, I still turn to Cool Edit for the following:

- editing stereo program material. (some editing should be destructive, dangit!)

- the spectral view is incredibly useful for manual de-clicking (clicks show up as a vertical band across the whole spectrum, much easier to see than hunting down an anomaly in a waveform)

- the click/pop eliminator "fill single click" function is very effective

- the noise & tone generators

- the frequency & phase analyzers

- time/pitch strech comes in handy and sometimes sounds better than others

I've had no experience with AA, hoping these goodies are still in there.
Lives for gear

One question guys! Where is the "phase switch" in Adobe Audition? This has perplexed me for a long time...
If anyone can kindly guide me, it would save me a lot of time.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

My Two Cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've used both of these and am quite fluent on each. I have to say, I find myself preferring Audition somewhat. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Like a lot of people, I started using Cool Edit Pro while at a radio station. It was handy because it was the only thing that you could use almost any audio file in any session. Great for those nationwide commercial beds.

I had a friend who based his studio around Cool Edit, and try as he might to avoid it, he ended up having to get Pro Tools. Not that he wanted to; just that his clients were wanting to use his skills with their files. It all depends on how you work and what it is you do. If your sessions aren't very track intensive (like voiceovers, ect.), then Cool Edit/Audition should do the trick. Otherwise, I have to use either Pro Tools or Logic (my personal preferences) for that professional touch.

Mo King
Gear Head

When I bought my Echo Layla, it came with Cool Edit. I then upgraded to Audition after Adobe bought Syntrillium. I have been using Audition (cool edit) since 1999, and still love it. Adobe has made a lot of great improvements while keeping the core of the daw the same. I use and love Adobe (being a graphics designer, and attending school for a degree in web design and interactive media)........ So I know their stuff is solid, and I love the Peq's - they are among my favorite daw/plug eq's.
There of course is nothing wrong with PT, it is powerful and has a great name. It does help to be a PT person if you are into the big time project studio - pro studio arena, but now a days, for your smaller studios and home set ups, it doesn't matter.
In the end, I don't care what daw an engineer uses, I care if they know what they are doing.
Do yourself a test, track and mix a song in both daws, and see how much it matters. It isn't offering you much more than an interface.......... the one you are most comfortable and knowledgeable with, is the clear winner.
Old 11th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
One question guys! Where is the "phase switch" in Adobe Audition? This has perplexed me for a long time...
If anyone can kindly guide me, it would save me a lot of time.
Look for "Invert" under the Effects menu, which is what you are actually doing if you want the end result being a "phase switch" -- inverting the polarity of the waveform.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFProductions View Post
Adobe has made a lot of great improvements while keeping the core of the daw the same.
That's really great to hear, I was anxious when I heard that Adobe picked up Cool Edit Pro to rebrand & relaunch it. I'll have to check it out. CEP is still an indispensable tool to me for a few specific tasks (see my post above) & I wouldn't mind having the latest & greatest.

It seems a pretty standard tool in radio, I've rarely ever been in a radio station and not gotten a glimpse of CEP up on someone's screen.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
Look for "Invert" under the Effects menu, which is what you are actually doing if you want the end result being a "phase switch" -- inverting the polarity of the waveform.
Thanks!! I don't think I've ever even opened up the effects menu heh
You just saved me a lot of importing and exporting!
Old 20th May 2010
Here for the gear

Pro-Tool vs. Adobe 3.0

I have the best of both worlds, I use Pro Tools in Adobe 3.0 with a little magic with the sound card .I can record any instrument or anything in Pro Tools then do a little configuration on my sound card and it winds up in Adobe 3.0 loosing 0 quality .I do this because with Adobe it's a lot easier to engineer with the tools and get things done a lot faster and cleaner.For example; I just bought Pro Tools and I find some things that are not user friendly like; I can't just grab and move a wave with out it being set to a proper mode such as slip mode in Adobe you just grab and drag that's it,another is normalize, in 3.0 you just select and drag, in PT it seems you have to jump a few hoops to do the very same things in a lot of cases.That's why I use both at the same time GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20th May 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I have both programs and you can't clean tracks up with the tools I can't find with PT, NOT KNOCKIN IT ,it all depends on what your lookin for. If you want a digital score for Avatar PT is the tool of choice however, if you want to record an acoustic piano that's natural not perfect or digital you loose the warm feel so adobe would be the tool for the job. I use both for different jobs,I can't complain and I'm not.Adobe has some awsome features that PT does not have and Adobe does not have the killer sounds that PT has so, it's a what are you looking to write kinda thing.
Old 20th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bass View Post
I have the best of both worlds, I use Pro Tools in Adobe 3.0 with a little magic with the sound card .I can record any instrument or anything in Pro Tools then do a little configuration on my sound card and it winds up in Adobe 3.0 loosing 0 quality .I do this because with Adobe it's a lot easier to engineer with the tools and get things done a lot faster and cleaner.For example; I just bought Pro Tools and I find some things that are not user friendly like; I can't just grab and move a wave with out it being set to a proper mode such as slip mode in Adobe you just grab and drag that's it,another is normalize, in 3.0 you just select and drag, in PT it seems you have to jump a few hoops to do the very same things in a lot of cases.That's why I use both at the same time GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am unclear why you have to record in Pro Tools if you are going to transfer the tracks to Adobe anyway.

Why not record into Audition in the first place?
Old 21st May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo View Post
I meant that you can't access the Effects pull-down in Multitrack view and process the track (or block) - you have to select it and switch to Waveform view. In PT you just select, go to the AudioSuite pulldown, choose the effect and process - all in the Edit window.
Uh....not true.

You simply click on "FX" and the rack shows up. Select the effects and hit "apply".. all in multitrack view.

You don't ever have to go to Edit view.
Gear Addict

love adobe audition aka cool edit, so freaking easy a monkey can learn it. But i'm curious cause i myself financial can't afford yet a nice front end. Those that do on this site of gearslutz with nice preamps, plugins, outboard compressors,eq's,etc....How your mixes come out? Should be just as powerful as protools in the right hands of a good audio engineer. So if any can share your experience with this please do tell!
Gear Addict

and who needs timewarps or stretching if you got in handy flstudio or a mpc in hand anyway?
Here for the gear

GZsound,
Simply because PT Has the killer sounds that Adobe don',t example;Add a PT great drum loop in Adobe then add your stuff , or a killer piano track then add your stuff! you can't just record in Adobe first you can't get that great sound anywhere from Adobe , Now I'm getting good quality sounds in Adobe that you just can't get from Adobe.Once you get all the tracks you want from PT in Adobe then you can go to town and get sh** done. Hope that uncleared sometings for ya. Bad Bass
Old 22nd May 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Red face cool edit pro the best program ever

adobe audition is the best I was one of the 1st to use it as well back in cepro 98 days, all I can say is, you can do anything you can do with pro tools, I am currently making the transition to MAC and am wondering if adobe will make a mac version soon, otherwise I have to keep a machine just for audition
Old 22nd May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear
First off I'd like to say that I've used....

Everything. And fluently.

For editing and doing lots of things to the spectrum of sound, adobe auditon takes it.

For cutting up lots of takes and making them one, pro tools takes it.

For basic sequencing logic takes it.

For sweet sequencing and cool sound design, FL and Ableton take it.

For a decent sampler with some synthesis capability, reason takes it.

For super accurate MIDI timing, Renoise takes it.

For lots of these things, but not enough of others, DP takes it.

For minimalism with lots of balls, reaper takes it.

If you just want to set up a couple mics and hit record.... well might as well use tape.

Audition is really nice for wav editing and cutting up stuff. If i was doing forensics, that's probably what I'd use....

And is more often than not what they use.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

On windows 8, it is Sonar Producer X3 all the way with 100 plus in the box rack tools, and everything running through an analog board first. If I was on Mac I would use Logic Pro. If I wanted to get a studio job instead of running my own shop I probably would learn pro tools. The DAW from motu looks impressive too.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Unfortunately Audition doesn't do midi anymore and maybe that is a good thing.

Definitely been my go to editor since the cool edit pro days.

Cheers
Old 21st April 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I was a user of AA 3.0 for a good number of years and went to PT last summer. Here's my opinion, and let me know if yours is similar to mine (Since I have an older version of AA, maybe some of these comments were resolved in later versions of AA):

Protools is made for recording.
AA is easier to use. Even some simple functions on Protools require much more effort it seemed.
Both crash.
Protools has a better backup process.
Protools on a Mac handles heavier loads better (plugins).
Protools can be more customized.
Keyboard shortcuts are much easier established and customizable on AA, but I have an Artist Control now.
Timeline functions easier to understand in AA, yet not as versatile as on PT.

Let me know what you think about these comments, guys. I will probably stay with PT, now that I have invested many hours in it. Kind of miss the simplicity of AA, and would love to use both, but I'm on a Mac now.
Old 21st April 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Old 25th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

A songwriter / singer and strummer / recordist would probably not need Pro Tools, which looks kind of complicated to me.

I'm still in Audition 3, because it works fine. Although it was always kind of crashy and there were things in it that just plain didn't work. I'm not a gamer. It's not fun for me to have to figure out new stuff that was designed by somebody who was maybe not a genius. I'll change when I have to and no hard feelings.

And oh by the way, yes Audition 3 does fog up the sound a little. There has been vehement objection in this thread to the observation that software can affect the sound, but ignorant people are always vehement.
Old 25th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
A songwriter / singer and strummer / recordist would probably not need Pro Tools, which looks kind of complicated to me.

I'm still in Audition 3, because it works fine. Although it was always kind of crashy and there were things in it that just plain didn't work. I'm not a gamer. It's not fun for me to have to figure out new stuff that was designed by somebody who was maybe not a genius. I'll change when I have to and no hard feelings.

And oh by the way, yes Audition 3 does fog up the sound a little. There has been vehement objection in this thread to the observation that software can affect the sound, but ignorant people are always vehement.
any time post 21st century any audio app that 'fogs' the sound in some not explicitily detailed and explicitly desired way is an app to avoid with diligence & passion. Not commenting whether AA does this, (used Syntrillium-AA since 1996, still use AA 3, will not upgrade to Adobes cloud only approach) just saying if it does 'get the hell out of that room'

At it's best AA was never an elegant tracking app, can't think of a single tracking task it does that Reaper does not do as well . . . but its strength was always an editing app (& if you don't distinguish between tracking, editing, mixing, mastering don't worry about it . . . AA is anochronistic (still useful but not something to recomend as 'the' app for any one just starting out). Adobe's failure (with this platform) was their inability to integrate it effectively with their Vid editing platform
Old 26th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post

One other thing I should mention is that I'm not a big fan of plug ins in general. I really prefer to use outboard gear. Most of my favorite albums where recorded without the use of plug ins...

As far as tape goes I use a Super VHS to put tracks to tape these days so I'm happy to report no use of razor blades!
1- Does Adobe Audition allow you to have your hardware on nameable inserts like ProTools?

2- I used to mix to VHS back in the day because I couldn't afford a DAT machine. Why are you mixing to SVHS?

I have never used Adobe Audition for anything other than some two track editing back in the day. I replaced it with SoundForge because of the batch editor. Never thought of using it for a multitrack program.
📝 Reply