The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Preamps and Converters: Tascam US-1641 vs Zoom R24
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Preamps and Converters: Tascam US-1641 vs Zoom R24

I have a Tascam US-1641 and have been very happy with it for about 5 years. Made a LOT of live recordings with it and it has given me a lot of audio joy, especially for the price I paid for it... Unfortunately, all good things come to and end, and it has been having failures lately, so I`m looking for options.

I`m not thinking about upgrading to something much better (or pricier for that matter), but rather replace the unit with something comparable in options and sound quality but more practical. So I`m thinking about the Zoom R24 which has 8 preamps (only 6 of them have phantom but I can live with that), but it has some great workflow upgrades for me, mainly because I can use it without a computer, without a power outlet and I can even do some light mixing and use it as a live mixer for band jams and stuff. The built in mics are also a nice plus.

From the practical point of view, the Zoom wins by a long shot. My question is how do they compare sound-wise? Has anyone had experience with both interfaces?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search