The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
better audio interface or patchbay
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

better audio interface or patchbay

hey guys got my first cheap gear recently and noticed that I have a problem routing it properly

I have a windows laptop
audio interface: alesis io2
gear: tascam688 mixer, poly800,boss se 50, roland r8m

problem: alesis 2x ins/outs would go into tascam and the speakers would go out from the tascam-> if i want to listen to music I would have to turn on the tascam(or it wouldnt even work) or connect the speakers directly to the alesis which means crawling under/behind the table and changing that.

How do I best solve this problem, with a patchbay or a better audio interface with more ins/outs?

cheers
Old 18th October 2013
A patchbay will no thelp you. a patchbay is used for routing effects, not provinding more outputs for your aleses soudn card.

I would just get rid of your mixer and just use the Alesis. This way you can always have your monitors connected to your sound card's outs. Mixers are not needed in digital recording. its just another un-needed gain stage and un-needed signal chain. your signal chain should be as simple as possible.

The other way to fix it is to get another audio interface with more outs.

CJ

CJ
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

It would actually work with a patchbay.

Alesis Out 1-2 to Patchbay top row 1-2
Half-normaled to bottom row 1-2 (Mixer input 1-2)
Mixer Control Room Out 1-2 to Patchbay top row 3-4
Monitors connected to bottom row 3-4

To bypass the mixer you just patch top row 1-2 to bottom row 3-4

This is just theoretically and is NOT recommended, since connecting/disconnecting/patching monitors while they are powered on can damage them !

Where is the problem with turning on the mixer to listen to your music ?
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help all

i want to use the mixer for EQ/casette compression and the warm sound so dont want to get rid of it

i would turn them off obviously for reconnection

well i have them turned on a lot of time during the day to listen to other music/youtube stuff/ etc etc so I thought it wont be that good for my mixer to be turned on every day for 5h+ as its kinda old already?
but if this isnt a problem then I wont need the patchbay nor a new interface (for now at least)

what would you guys do?

cheers
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

I would sell both of them and get an interface with more ins/outs. There are a lot of good and not expensive devices. That's the best option. But if you think of changing the hardware only because you are worry about turning on the mixer, don't be, every equipment have some life cycle, but no one could say how long will it be, it could work a lot more years or it could stop working tomorrow.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

@funkyto well as i dont want to sell the mixer what would you do then, just keep the mixer turned all the time?
well i think that lifecycle will be a little higher if it isnt turned on for hours every day?- thats my concern
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsonknows View Post
@funkyto well as i dont want to sell the mixer what would you do then, just keep the mixer turned all the time?
well i think that lifecycle will be a little higher if it isnt turned on for hours every day?- thats my concern
5 hours a day is nothing. Some say that turning on and off bigger consoles will do more damage to them. So they let them run 24/7

Even if it breaks, I wouldn't care much. Looks like a piece of anyways. I'm with funkyto on this one to get rid of it.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

then i have this solved thank you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search