The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
akg c214 vs a mojave or neumann tlm 103
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

akg c214 vs a mojave or neumann tlm 103

topic. trying to get a better sound, different interfaces and preamps are doing nothing for me, i hear more of a difference between mics i want to get something very good. i do singing and i do rapping not one more than the other. my akg is good but dare i say it may sound a tiny bit, in the box? what should i do
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

I definitely like the neumann over the akg.
havent tested the mojave, but heard good things about it, and now that some engineers swear by it.

but considering your list, I'd pick the neumann.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Have you thought about trying to improve your acoustic environment instead?

Perhaps it sounds "in the box" because where you're recording sounds like it's in a box?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hmm...do you have any samples you can post? Your gear is decent, so a new mic might not help the issue. The "in the box" sound often comes from poor mixing or poor mic placement.
Old 22nd December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Have you thought about trying to improve your acoustic environment instead?

Perhaps it sounds "in the box" because where you're recording sounds like it's in a box?
This was my problem at first. Once I removed as much room as I could from the equation, my vocals started to sit in the mix much better.

if you can get some pic's up or provide a quick description, we'd be better able to help.
-Clark
Old 28th December 2013
Gear Head

I really like the Mojaves, the MA200 is nice and bright and the MA201Fet has a more direct sound much like a Neumann U87. I compared a U87 to a MA201Fet and they were very close character wise. A nice pre helps too and of course some kind of sound absorbers are essential, I made my own using Roxul RHT80.
Old 11th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanm777 View Post
I really like the Mojaves, the MA200 is nice and bright and the MA201Fet has a more direct sound much like a Neumann U87. I compared a U87 to a MA201Fet and they were very close character wise. A nice pre helps too and of course some kind of sound absorbers are essential, I made my own using Roxul RHT80.
Just wondering if you could expand on the differences and similarities of the ma201 and u87? I am surprised by how much I like my ma201 even compared to much more expensive mics but I cant help thinking the 87 would have a similar sound but better.
Old 15th May 2015
Here for the gear

I have had both the u87ai and mojave 201. I hear no similarities between them. Almost opposite characteristics. U87 being way more mid focused, 201 being way more full in the heavy low frequencys of a 100hz and lower, brighter and not as saturated sounding. To me they serve 2 totally different purposes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search