The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A question about Windows' mixer, and Audio Interfaces..
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

A question about Windows' mixer, and Audio Interfaces..

My question is directly about the windows' mixer, "playback devices" and "recording devices"..

My on board card is a Realtek Audio andmy external audio interface is a Scarlett 2i2. Here is my question after all this pre-info:

I can see all of the seperate inputs and outputs of the stupid Realtek on board unit in the windows mixer, "Playback Devices" and "Recording Devices" lists. However, scarlett has more inputs and putputs but all I see is "line in" of scarlet as the recording device, adn "line out" of scarlett as the "playback device". I do not see any other channels, inputs or outputs in the lists of windows mixer..

I'm wondering if this is how it should be, or if there is any ways to solve this?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

As you can see in the attachment, there is only one line in of scarlet a the "recording device", which is weird since the scarlett 2i2 has more than one!..
Attached Thumbnails
A question about Windows' mixer, and Audio Interfaces..-scarlet_issue.png  
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Tascam US-800 has six inputs but shows the same way in the windows mixer. What happens in Windows is the Tascam pans the inputs hard left or right depending on if they are even or odd, and mixes them to give windows the appearance of Stereo.

Inside my DAW application, when I go to audio hardware setup, it shows me all the inputs and I assign them to tracks.

I normally leave the Realtek as the default device because it works well for youtube and stuff like that. I plug the output from the Realtek into the US-800, which passes it to the monitors. If I'm going to record then I unplug it. If you have a dedicated audio workstation you would probably just want to disable the Realtek device.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Got latest drivers?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

My experience has been that yes, you will only see Line In for the 2i2 in Windows, and Line Out. Where you will find the distinct breakdown of L/R Input for the 2i2 is in your DAW software. The output for Playback in your DAW software will still only show one choice for the 2i2.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search