The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is there anything out there that replaces the ART HPFX (headphone amp w/mixer+mic in)
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Is there anything out there that replaces the ART HPFX (headphone amp w/mixer+mic in)

I'm trying to find something cheap for headphone monitoring during sessions. I need at least :
1x mic input (guide vocals during tracking, 2x would be great)
1x stereo signal input (live mix from my Apollo as it records)
+ a means of balancing mic signal vs live recording mix
4x headphone outs with individual volume controls

Through all my research the ONLY affordable thing I can find that combines all of these needs in a compact (and even rackmountable) unit is the ART HPFX - ART Pro Audio

Unfortunately it is discontinued and seems impossible to find one to buy anywhere.

Am I missing something? Is there something out there that solves all my problems at once like the HPFX or am I stuck buying both a dedicated heaphone amp and basic mixer and wiring it up every time so that I can run guide vocals against the live session while recording?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Do you need the DSP latency effect on the phones? Do you need separate headphone mixes for all 4 phones/performers? Or could you get away with any small mixer and headphone amp?

Even cheap mixers often have at least 2 aux sends than can be set up as sends for 2 different headphone mixes.

As for the latency thing, many sound cards / interfaces today offer suitable realtime monitoring, but maybe not separate mixes for multiple phones.

Describe what exactly you're trying to achieve, plz?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymenoptera View Post
Do you need the DSP latency effect on the phones? Do you need separate headphone mixes for all 4 phones/performers? Or could you get away with any small mixer and headphone amp?

Even cheap mixers often have at least 2 aux sends than can be set up as sends for 2 different headphone mixes.

As for the latency thing, many sound cards / interfaces today offer suitable realtime monitoring, but maybe not separate mixes for multiple phones.

Describe what exactly you're trying to achieve, plz?
Thanks. I don't need any latency help. Literally just need to be able to run a mic, mix it into a stereo feed and have 4 headphone outs from that. I'm totally fine with all headphones having the same mix, but each user should have control over their headphone volume.

To give an idea of all that I need I did this at my last session - borrowed a 4 channel headphone amp and tiny behringer mixer from a friend. Sent the stereo out from my apollo into the mixer with the singer sending an SM58 into the mixer as well. Mixed both and sent that stereo feed to the headphone amp. It accomplished all my goals.

I could get away with any mixer and a headphone amp but I was hoping there was an all in one solution to this that rackmounted easily in my case instead of me having to buy, set-up and wire two extra things each session.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

That's what I was getting at. The mixer + headphone amp really sounds like the best solution. Besides, they give you some room to grow. Probably going to be higher quality too, depending on what you get. And it's really only two extra cables to hook up if you think about it.

A quick search for mixers with 4 headphone outs didn't turn up anything. Two seems to be the norm.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's what I was getting at. The mixer + headphone amp really sounds like the best solution. Besides, they give you some room to grow. Probably going to be higher quality too, depending on what you get. And it's really only two extra cables to hook up if you think about it.

A quick search for mixers with 4 headphone outs didn't turn up anything. Two seems to be the norm.
That's what I figured, but I had to ask since that I run a mobile rig and space/set-up time is at a premium. Thanks for trying to help though. Looks like little mixer and headphone amp is the answer.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Perhaps a 1U rackmount mixer and 1U rackmount headphone amp in a 2U enclosure with handles? You could leave the mixer outs and headphone amps ins connected all the time. You could build your own enclosure for cheap. And it would look great, too.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Perhaps a 1U rackmount mixer and 1U rackmount headphone amp in a 2U enclosure with handles? You could leave the mixer outs and headphone amps ins connected all the time. You could build your own enclosure for cheap. And it would look great, too.
Actually I have an unused 2-space rack that I just use for hauling mics and cables to the location. This would be a much better use and allow me to set it up in a more central space away from my recording rack (so I don't have musicians tweaking their headphone mixes at the recording rack). I like this a lot. Not sure why it never popped into my mind before. Thank you.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnprofitableLPs View Post
Actually I have an unused 2-space rack that I just use for hauling mics and cables to the location. This would be a much better use and allow me to set it up in a more central space away from my recording rack (so I don't have musicians tweaking their headphone mixes at the recording rack). I like this a lot. Not sure why it never popped into my mind before. Thank you.
good luck
Old 23rd February 2017
Here for the gear

Are you still looking for an ART HPFX? I have one.
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangarooCal View Post
Are you still looking for an ART HPFX? I have one.
Nope. I solved this issue over 3 years ago.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search